• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Important game for the Tahs, the Lions will just go through the imotions and try and stop them from scoring four tries. Will be interesting to see which team the Lions will put up in the park. Vokken Earl Rose had a shocker last weekend against the Highlanders and there was something to watch in that Lions match specially towards the end when the defend like they should. Watch out for the name Walter Venter in 12. That youngster a very good defender and one waiting to get in the squad not even thinking about gametime. Think Walter inclution will define the Lions defense in stopping the Tahs from getting 4. Luddick had a blinder last week and important they keep him in 15. Think Jac Fourie wont play because we need him in a Springbok jersey against the UK Lions.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
Good morning PB. Greetings and salutations to your fine self.
Same to you Boet,

Myself still cant understand the way the Tahs keep that ball in 2nd phase. If they want a bonus point here they'll have to spread them wide and quick.

and I think thats the secret to this one. Before you lot jumping on me I surely see the Tahs as favourates, BUT they will be under pressure to not play their normal game. If they do, they will win but they will miss their much needed bonuspoint and this can make this match a well worth watching one.

The Lions will know what come their way and they had the Stormers last year in exact the same position as the Tahs and they stop us from getting that point.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Biffo said:
Good morning PB. Greetings and salutations to your fine self.
Same to you Boet,

Myself still cant understand the way the Tahs keep that ball in 2nd phase. If they want a bonus point here they'll have to spread them wide and quick.

and I think thats the secret to this one. Before you lot jumping on me I surely see the Tahs as favourates, BUT they will be under pressure to not play their normal game. If they do, they will win but they will miss their much needed bonuspoint and this can make this match a well worth watching one.

The Lions will know what come their way and they had the Stormers last year in exact the same position as the Tahs and they stop us from getting that point.
I think you're right PB. They really struggle to adapt the plan. It's like they're afraid of what might happen if they deviate from Plan A.
Thing is they don't need to do too much too differently. As you say, recycle it a bit quicker, don't always turn it back inside for another phase ball. They do NOT need to just start chucking it all over the place. They get enough good ball each game, so 4 tries should not be a stretch. Use Tahu off Beale, and back him up for the offloads.
Personally I think the Tahs will win, but struggle to get 4 tries. I think even if they get 4 tries, they'll miss the playoffs.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The other youngster to keep a eye on this game is Johan van Deventer. He had big boots to fill with Baywatch out but sure look the goods in the two matches for the Lions.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Important game for the Tahs, the Lions will just go through the imotions and try and stop them from scoring four tries. Will be interesting to see which team the Lions will put up in the park. Vokken Earl Rose had a shocker last weekend against the Highlanders and there was something to watch in that Lions match specially towards the end when the defend like they should. Watch out for the name Walter Venter in 12. That youngster a very good defender and one waiting to get in the squad not even thinking about gametime. Think Walter inclution will define the Lions defense in stopping the Tahs from getting 4. Luddick had a blinder last week and important they keep him in 15. Think Jac Fourie wont play because we need him in a Springbok jersey against the UK Lions.

I don't think the Lions will just go through the motions. They have played every game to try and win, and sadly, have lacked the ammo.

The Tahs have a real chance of scoring four tries, as the Lions defense has been lacking out wide.

The problem for the Tahs though is that they are able to attack well from broken play and this is where the danger lies. Tahs also don't want to get into a kicking duel against Petoors and Rose on the Highveldt.

My prediction is Tahs with a bonus point. Whether that is enough we will know by Sunday morning.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
15. Louis Ludik
14. Dusty Noble
13. Deon van Rensburg
12. Doppies la Grange
11. Michael Killian
10. Andre Pretorius
9. Jano Vermaak
8. Willem Alberts
7. Robert Kruger
6. Johan van Deventer
5. Franco van der Merwe
4. Anton van Zyl
3. Gert Muller
2. Willie Wepener
1. Lawrence Sephaka

RESERVES:
16. Hans van Dyk
17. JC Janse van Rensburg
18. Ernst Joubert
19. Todd Clever
20. Chris Jonck
21. Earl Rose
22. Walter Venter

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just for the info, 13. Deon van Rensburg a rare specie in Lions territory. He plays for the Leopards (Wes Transvaal), smaller province just now qualified for CC premier Division. Why the Lions havent make use of their playing stock is beyond me. He'd be a crucial player comes saturday.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
NSW Waratahs name an unchanged line-up for the Lions match

May 14, 2009

New South Wales Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has shown faith in the same squad which lifted the team to victory over the Sharks last Saturday, naming an unchanged line-up for the crucial Super 14 clash against the Lions in Johannesburg on Saturday morning (EST).

The Waratahs kept their finals hopes alive with 16-12 win over the Sharks in Durban, and are one of seven teams still competing for a semi-finals berth going into this week's final round of the home and away fixture.

Brett Sheehan, who beat a dangerous tackle charge earlier in the week to be available for the round 14 match, has been named on the bench and will earn his 50th Super rugby cap if he comes on.

The Waratahs face several scenarios as they chase a spot in the competition's top four, but Hickey says winning the match against the Lions will be his team's main issue.

"It's always great when you come off a good win to be in a position to field the same side again," he said.

"It's a six-day turnaround this week which limits your preparation somewhat, so having those combinations in place week-to-week is a real positive.

"All we can do is go out there with a focus on winning the game ? that's all we can control, and the rest will take care of itself.

"Playing at Ellis Park ... one of the most imposing stadiums in the rugby world and we know that even though they're (Lions) out of finals contention they'll be up for a real contest."

Lachie Turner,
Peter Playford,
Timana Tahu,
Kurtley Beale,
Lote Tuqiri,
Daniel Halangahu,
Luke Burgess,
Wycliff Palu,
Phil Waugh (capt),
Ben Mowen,
Will Caldwell,
Dean Mumm,
Al Baxter,
Tatafu Polota-Nau,
Benn Robinson.

Replacements:
Damien Fitzpatrick,
Sekope Kepu,
Chris Thomson,
Luke Doherty,
Brett Sheehan.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I reckon the Tahs will break the shackles on this one and get up with a bonus point win.

I also think their defense will leak a few though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scotty said:
I reckon the Tahs will break the shackles on this one and get up with a bonus point win.

I also think their defense will leak a few though.

And I don't think it will matter, the Crusaders should get 4 tries against the Blues (who apparently cancelled a training session earlier this week because they didn't have enough healthy units) and the Tahs will be one bonus point out of the semis

H

Harfish

fatprop said:
And I don't think it will matter, the Crusaders should get 4 tries against the Blues (who apparently cancelled a training session earlier this week because they didn't have enough healthy units) and the Tahs will be one bonus point out of the semis

While the Crusaders did name an unchanged lineup from the Reds game, they had seven players miss training on Monday with an injury of some sort: Brad Thorn, Kieran Read, Isaac Ross, Thomas Waldrom, Stephen Brett, Ryan Crotty and Leon MacDonald.

And just recently they've announced that Brad Thorn is out for this game, Michael Paterson in and Ross Filipo to the bench

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scarfman said:
I'm relying on the Reds beating the Hurricanes ...

And when I say "relying", I mean :praying:
Jerre Doc, you sound really desperate. :lmao: They sort of did this to others not to long ago. 8)

H

Harfish

This tweet from Lote Tuqiri made me chuckle this morning

On the lookout 4 a Vudu witch doctor over here with Brumbies and Crusaders figurines in hand.. LOL

S

steiner

Well there won't be much kicking here from the Waratahs I think. The plan will be to keep the ball in hand, go forward in the middle then make the ball sing out wide. Try and tire the Lions forwards out by running them round and hope there's a blowout in the score. Tahs will be running the ball from the outset I'd say.

May well work, and then just hope the other results go their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.