• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
What I don't get is all these British lads. They all seem to think the wallabies are going to get smashed but when you look at the names on paper you wouldn't think that's the case at all. Especially if we have Our big guns back who have been missing for the last season through injury. Lets not forget that guys like JOC (James O'Connor) and beal shine in a wallabies jersey. They seam too lift a gear.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure who you've been talking to? Many Irish and British pundits are predicting a Wallabies victory most likely 2-1. Haven't talked to many people who are backing the Lions.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ì have to agree with JSRF10 most people are expecting a very close series with it 2-1 either way. There are a few outliers who are blowing smoke and predicting 3-0 hammerings one way or the other, but you'll always get a few of them no matter the relative strength of the teams.

Despite the long aired views on here from Aus rugby fans, the vast majority of NH fans still rate the Wallabies team very highly, even with Deans in charge.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
British and Irish Lions team to play Western Force on Wednesday: L Halfpenny (Wales); T Bowe (Ireland), B O'Driscoll (Ireland, capt), M Tuilagi (England), G North (Wales); J Sexton (Ireland), C Murray (Ireland); C Healy (Ireland), R Best (Ireland), D Cole (England), A-W Jones (Wales), I Evans (Wales), T Croft (England), S O'Brien (Ireland), J Heaslip (Ireland). Replacements: T Youngs (England), M Vunipola (England), M Stevens (England), G Parling (England), T Faletau (Wales), B Youngs (England), O Farrell (England), S Maitland (Scotland).

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No Kearney and Warburton again. Warburton is expected to make the game at the weekend. Kearney is set to miss both and the coaches are getting a little worried. Probably early nest week we'll know if they are going to call up extra cover for FB.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Funny isn't it, when I see Farrell I see a player I don't want to see on the park. An accurate kicker who plays a game that doesn't suit us.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Ì have to agree with JSRF10 most people are expecting a very close series with it 2-1 either way. There are a few outliers who are blowing smoke and predicting 3-0 hammerings one way or the other, but you'll always get a few of them no matter the relative strength of the teams.

Despite the long aired views on here from Aus rugby fans, the vast majority of NH fans still rate the Wallabies team very highly, even with Deans in charge.

Is there going to be a battle to claim the underdog tag for the series?

The Wobs look stronger in many positions, but like the Lions there are a couple of key positions where we have little depth if we lose out run on players.
2, 8, 9, 10 in particular.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
He is not as accurate as Halfpenny who will be the test kicker IMHO.

Yeah fair point PP, I haven't seen their percentages. But I'd like to see the BIL 10s in game kicking data, it isn't just conversions and penalties, it's accurate and reliable kicking in game. Some players we don't particularly rate here are very good at it and can choke you out.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Rob Kearney has a grade 1 hamstring tear, the Fatman is talking about calling up a replacement. I suspect St Jonny will searching for his passport even if Hook and Madigan are better options

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rob Kearney has a grade 1 hamstring tear, the Fatman is talking about calling up a replacement. I suspect St Jonny will searching for his passport even if Hook and Madigan are better options
Surely it depends on what he is looking for? If he wants a third flyhalf you would suggest that he should choose a two test rookie, who doesn't even play regularly in that position for his province, over a World Champion and current European Player of the Year? I think I'm going to need a pair of green tinted glasses for this thread.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If you think Johnny is capable of another Lions series you haven't been watching much Top 14 or Heineken Cup this year.

Michael Jordan is one of the best basketball players of all time. Why didn't the Heat try to bring him in for game 7?

Fatland already said Hogg (who has never played a test at 10 and rarely plays there for province) was an option at 10. So how is that so much of a stretch?

He also mentioned Hook in the same sentence, which you conveniently ignored. I don't believe he has ever worn a green jersey.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Madigan was Leinsters player of the year, and probably the best fly half in the Pro 12 this season. His place kicking stats for the year are better than Sexton and Halfpenny.

When people talk about Wilko for this tour they seem to imagine the 2003 version who was a damn good player, the 2013 version sits the pocket and kills any attack his team have. Toulon won the Heineken Cup because of their pack, they would have won the competition with Owen Farrell at 10!

Madigan wouldn't be in the running for most tours but the Lions are seriously weak at 10, and he can could 12 and 15 at a stretch

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
A few on hear were predicting that Castro would smash Vunipola in the scrum at the weekend. Well that didn't happen and in fact, Vunipola looked pretty strong. Which got me thinking about his performance and the performance of the scrum over all. Jones was superb and thats a pretty good starting point
but I was also thinking about how good it would be for a prop to have the likes of O'Connell and Gray behind you. Gee's you would have some serious shunt. It will be interesting to see if AW Jones and Evans have the same sort of impact.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well I'm just saying that if I wanted another 10, then I wouldn't pick someone who has never played in that position for his country, hasn't started a test for a while, has little test match experience and no big match experience. You obviously have a lot of faith in him and his talent and you know a lot more about Madigan than I. I'm certainly going to pay more attention to Madigan in the future to see how he develops.

USARugger - Yes, Hogg at 10 is a big stretch too. No idea about the Jordan reference - did a two game rookie take his place? You are right, I didn't mention Hook.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wouldn't mind too much if Wilkinson is called up. Yes there are far more exciting options available but currently I have no confidence in Farrell beyond his goal kicking ability. If Gatland is going to bring someone on to close out the game I would rather it be Wilkinson than Farrell.

Farrell is Wilkinson-lite so if Gatland wants that type of player I'd rather he went with the original even if he's not as good as the 2003 version. He's far more composed than Farrell and a better defender.

However neither would be someone I'd want to see coming on to inspire a comeback win. Neither can really make a backline sing.

It would be worrying to lose Kearney though. I expect Halfpenny to start the tests due to his all round game and his amazing form this year. But Kearney isn't far behind and losing a real attacking threat in favour for a conservative player would not be a good thing.

I think Wilkinson should be called up regardless of injuries now that he's available. Let Farrell be the one to get injured in the dirt tracker games. Then if Kearney is injured call up an attacking player to replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.