• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I hope that Ireland will leave Ross, Best, Ryan, DOC etc at home and send a team of young lads on this tour.

I think if Kidney was still in charge his "win every game" attitude, partly IRFU enforced, would have made him take the above lads as he did in 2009 when the likes of Leamy and Best toured when they should have been resting. Golden Joe, according to Fanning yesterday, isn't on as tight restrictions as Kidney re results. He has been given leeway for development which is crucial. This means that hopefully all the above, not that DOC should be considered for Ireland unless there is an emergency, should be left to recuperate for the summer. Ryan looks completely shagged and is probably in need of surgery, Ross has looked knackered for a long time and could do with some time off. Rory Best could do worse than go to Limerick to work on his throwing with Jerry Flannery.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Are you referring to Todd Blackadder, because I just checked his wiki and surprising to me, he's coached in Edinburgh?
Yes, Todd was our assistant coach for a few years after playing then was head coach for a season. He was one of our best ever imports and a real popular guy at the club with fans, players and staff.

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
Majority of Barbarian squad has been announced:
Forwards: Duncan Jones (Ospreys & Wales), B J Botha (Munster & South Africa), Paul James (Bath Rugby & Wales), Martin Castrogiovanni (Leicester & Italy), Matthew Rees (Scarlets & Wales), Leonardo Ghiraldini (Benetton Treviso & Italy), Marco Wentzel (London Wasps & South Africa), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester Rugby & Scotland), Francois Louw (Bath Rugby & South Africa), Sam Jones (London Wasps), Alessandro Zanni (Benetton Treviso & Italy), Sergio Parisse (Stade Francais & Italy), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz Olympique & France)
Backs: Jared Payne (Ulster), Rowan Varty (DeA Tigers & Hong Kong), Takudzwa Ngwenya (Bairritz Olympique & USA), Joe Rokocoko (Bayonne & New Zealand), James Hook (Perpignan & Wales), Nick Evans (Harlequins & New Zealand), Kahn Fotuali'i (Ospreys & Samoa), Dwayne Peel (Sale Sharks & Wales), Dimitri Yachvili (Biarritz Olympique & France)
espnscrum.com

They say a couple of spots are subject to club availability, so there could be some changes. All in all a strong squad. Anyone know if the England vs Barbarians game will be shown on basic Foxtel in Australia? I seem to recall Setanta getting exclusive rights to England games a couple years back, but not sure if that is still the case.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Damn that's a strong side, would beat some international sides and really test the Lions.

1. Duncan Jones
2. Leonardo Ghiraldini
3. Martin Castrogiovanni
4. Marco Wentzel
5. Jim Hamilton
6. Alessandro Zanni
7. Francois Louw
8. Sergio Parisse
9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10. Nick Evans
11. Joe Rokocoko
12. Mike Tindall
13. Jared Payne
14. Takudzwa Ngwenya
15. James Hook

16. Matthew Rees
17. BJ Botha
18. Paul James
19. Imanol Harinordoquy
20. Sam Jones
21. Dwayne Peel
22. Dmitri Yachvili
23. Rowan Varty

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
yep will be a huge test for the lions, wont have a lot of time to prepare either, Dwayne peel very good 9 too,

FingalRaven

Frank Nicholson (4)
yep will be a huge test for the lions, wont have a lot of time to prepare either, Dwayne peel very good 9 too,

The Lions will have time for only one full squad training session before they fly out to HK. But the players not involved in the Rabo, Amlin or Aviva Final are due in Mini Training camps in Wales, Vale of Glamorgan training camp for the rest of the week(14th-17th) and then move on to Dublin(20th-24th) after they get kitted out next Monday in London. So that is at present:

Richard Hibbard Ospreys
Adam Jones Ospreys
Ian Evans Ospreys
Richie Gray Sale
Alun Wynn Jones Ospreys
Paul O'Connell Munster
Dan Lydiate NG Dragons
Justin Tipuric Ospreys
Sam Warburton Cardiff Blues
Toby Faletau NG Dragons
Conor Murray Munster
Mike Phillips Bayonne
Jamie Roberts Cardiff Blues
Alex Cuthbert Cardiff Blues
Leigh Halfpenny Cardiff Blues

Then add in the losers from the this coming weekends Rabo(Leinster still have the Amlin Final) and Aviva SemiFinals, so thats a pretty decent Mini camp before the only full squad session on the 26th before they fly out. Gatland must have his fingers crossed that Saracens o lose this weekend so he has at least Farrell in his "mini training camp for 2 weeks before departure. I expect that the guys that enter the mini camp next week will make up the starters and bench for the Barbarians Game with one or two additions from the Finalists if required.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Luke Marshall ruled out today, doctors orders, summer at home with a crash helmet on his head, 3 concussions in his last 3 games.

Whichever doctor cleared him to play for Ireland in the last 6 nations game should be hauled in front of the Irish Medical Board. That was a ridiculous decision, and he must a young mans life in danger. To play in that game he would have had to pass all the return to play protocols at the earliest opportunity.

D

daz

Think Philips is a great player and thoughts of Will genia owning him premature. I do however think that he is prone to box kicking mania and against Australia this just means giving away posession.

Genia caught the box-kicking flu last year as well, though. Drove me nuts.

Hopefully that has been beaten out of him for this year!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Whichever doctor cleared him to play for Ireland in the last 6 nations game should be hauled in front of the Irish Medical Board. That was a ridiculous decision, and he must a young mans life in danger. To play in that game he would have had to pass all the return to play protocols at the earliest opportunity.
The sooner they bring in a mandatory one game ban or ten days (whichever is the later) for concussion, independently assessed throughout the whole of rugby, at every level, the better. There would then be no temptation for foolish young men to fake the cognitive tests. Sadly I think it will take someone dying for this to happen. Marshall should never have been allowed to play against Italy, it was an absolutely disgraceful decision. I hope to God that Marshall has not lost his career because of this.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Rhys Priestland is making his starting return this weekend against Ulster. For some reason Gatland rates him I wouldn't be surprised to see he out in Australia at some point, especially if Wilko isn't keen on the tour, providing he doesn't have a stinker this weekend, which is always a possibility when he takes the pitch.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The sooner they bring in a mandatory one game ban or ten days (whichever is the later) for concussion, independently assessed throughout the whole of rugby, at every level, the better. There would then be no temptation for foolish young men to fake the cognitive tests. Sadly I think it will take someone dying for this to happen. Marshall should never have been allowed to play against Italy, it was an absolutely disgraceful decision. I hope to God that Marshall has not lost his career because of this.

How do you do that though? Pretty much all the tests involve the player reacting to questions and tests and benchmarking that against their baseline test.

At the end of the day there is a fair amount of reliance on the player to do the right thing by themselves.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Its tough to bring in a rule on this but something has to be done or else in 20 years we'll see a situation similar to NFL with early deaths, players suing the powers at be etc. At this stage I'd consider making the doctor who signs off on the tests liable for any concussion related issues going forward for the player. It might be the only way to get doctors to look after the long term health of the players and not getting them onto the park as soon as possible, which was the case with Luke Marshall.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
How do you do that though? Pretty much all the tests involve the player reacting to questions and tests and benchmarking that against their baseline test.

At the end of the day there is a fair amount of reliance on the player to do the right thing by themselves.
If you had a mandatory ban of a game, there would be less incentive for these lads to fake the tests because they would know that, in all likelihood, it would make little difference, two weeks later, whether they had pretended to be thicker than Andy Powell to fool the doctors (and themselves). There needs to be a profound change in attitude throughout the game, there is nothing brave about playing with concussion, it is plain and simply fecking stupid. Sadly, as I posted above, I think it will take someone dying in a televised game for something to be done which is also fecking stupid.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
don't know if this should be here , but Priestland as injured his Achilles again last night don't know the details but it was last night against Ulster, in the warm up I think, I mention it as it is not known now whether he will go on the Japan tour, being a favourite of gats might have had a call for the lions if his form had been good.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
BOD off early last night with a back spasm. No indication yet of how serious. SOB pulled out with a calf problem too.

FingalRaven

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well Leinster, Ulster, Leicester and Northampton still involved in Finals after this weekend action. So barring injuries, next weeks training squad in Wales should look like the below.

Hooker
  • Richard Hibbard Ospreys

Props
  • Adam Jones Ospreys
  • Matt Stevens Saracens
  • Mako Vunipola Saracens
Locks
  • Ian Evans Ospreys
  • Richie Gray Sale
  • Alun Wynn Jones Ospreys
  • Paul O'Connell Munster
Flankers
  • Dan Lydiate NG Dragons
  • Justin Tipuric Ospreys
  • Sam Warburton Cardiff Blues

No.8
  • Toby Faletau NG Dragons

Scrum half
  • Conor Murray Munster
  • Mike Phillips Bayonne

Fly Half
  • Owen Farrell Saracens
Centres
  • Jamie Roberts Cardiff Blues
  • Jonathan Davies Scarlets
Wingers
  • Alex Cuthbert Cardiff Blues
  • Sean Maitland Glasgow
  • George North Saracens
Full Back

• Leigh Halfpenny Cardiff Blues
  • Stuart Hogg Glasgow
Missing Men
  1. Tom Youngs Leicester
  2. Dylan Hartley Northampton
  3. Dan Cole Leicester
  4. Gethin Jenkins Toulon
  5. Cian Healy Leinster
  6. Manu Tuilagi Leicester
  7. Brian O'Driscoll Leinster
  8. Jonathan Sexton Leinster
  9. Tommy Bowe Ulster
  10. Rob Kearney Leinster
  11. Geoff Parling Leicester
  12. Ben Youngs Leicester
  13. Jamie Heaslip Leinster
  14. Sean O'Brien Leinster
  15. Tom Croft Leicester
Looking like a Welsh dominated team to play the Barbarians in HK if Gatland picks by preparation time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom