• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

long term coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i think the reason above any for which link should get the job is his ability to beat kiwi teams> its gotta be close to the best ever (maybe the bulls coach a few years back) but in terms of beating kiwis in nz> pretty sure link takes the cake

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd be interested to see the reaction if Jake White was appointed.

One of the main criticisms of Deans has been the fact that the Wallabies have been playing a 'negative' style of rugby over the past two seasons. A game built on minimisation of risks with few tries scored but even fewer conceded.

White has employed a similar style at the Brumbies. They have never been a great team to watch, and some of their games have been downright dull. The fact that they still can't fill Canberra Stadium is an indictment on this style.

I think White is a great coach and wouldn't have too many issues if he was given the job.

But I can't help feeling he won't solve many of the 'problems' that Deans is seen to have created.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think a lot of the grief associated with Deans has been a lack of execution regarding the gameplan. The Brumbies rarely have issues executing their gameplan.

But is that an appealing game plan?

Pulver talks about playing a traditional, Aussie style of rugby, and I'm not sure White's chosen style will fit with this.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think people forgive a hell of a lot if the win/loss ratio is good.

Playing a crappy style and losing is not going to win fans over. Playing a crappy style and winning is going to keep a lot of fans satiated at least.

I also think that a semi regular turnover in coaching (and indeed all management) roles is generally positive because it serves to freshen up the systems and stuff in the organisation as well as serve as a delineation of sorts in the hearts and minds of the players (or staff) - eg: long term hoodoos or similar are seen as something from the "old" management.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think people forgive a hell of a lot if the win/loss ratio is good.

Playing a crappy style and losing is not going to win fans over. Playing a crappy style and winning is going to keep a lot of fans satiated at least.

I also think that a semi regular turnover in coaching (and indeed all management) roles is generally positive because it serves to freshen up the systems and stuff in the organisation as well as serve as a delineation of sorts in the hearts and minds of the players (or staff) - eg: long term hoodoos or similar are seen as something from the "old" management.

We had a pretty decent W/L ratio last year, but very few people on here were happy with how we performed.

But I agree with your last paragraph.

Reactions: gel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is a substantial level of disconnect between what people remember in terms of how much the Wallabies won and the style in which we played and the reality of those situations.

The ARU created a silly situation where they published KPIs that were very much at the high end of historical results and then are made to look silly when they are not achieved but they keep the coach.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good/amusing article with one glaring error: Umaga was not picked in the 2003 RWC semi because he ruptured his posterior cruciate ligament in pool play.
A pretty major oversight for any Kiwi to commit.

That blog post has been referenced several times in the last couple of years from what I can remember.

Some people seem to take it as gospel because it is a Kiwi giving his opinion on Deans.

The fact that the blog doesn't seem to have been udpated for a couple of years and the author has no real journalistic pedigree seem to be ignored.

Realistically it's just another person's longwinded opinion which is not really something we're lacking.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Link has to be it IMO. Success with Tahs and Reds and lets face it Brumbies haven't ACUTALLY won anything yet....

Yes they look good under Jake but with seemingly endless budget for coaching support staff - Is Jake getting the job done...? or is it he's managed to assemble a team of excellent support staff... I think the latter is clear cut.

For me as much as Jake has shone - Wallabies NEED an Aussie coach!!!!!!!!!!

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Link has to be it IMO. Success with Tahs and Reds and lets face it Brumbies haven't ACUTALLY won anything yet..

Yes they look good under Jake but with seemingly endless budget for coaching support staff - Is Jake getting the job done.? or is it he's managed to assemble a team of excellent support staff. I think the latter is clear cut.

For me as much as Jake has shone - Wallabies NEED an Aussie coach!!!!!!!!!!

Wahts more Look @ Links record vs the Kiwi teams - hes plays open, tactical football - something that exposes the kiwis and keeps them guessing.

Plus - he'd use QC (Quade Cooper)............!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wahts more Look @ Links record vs the Kiwi teams - hes plays open, tactical football - something that exposes the kiwis and keeps them guessing.

Plus - he'd use QC (Quade Cooper)....!
Haha! are you trying to win the argument or lose it?

btw welcome to the forum.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That blog post has been referenced several times in the last couple of years from what I can remember.

Some people seem to take it as gospel because it is a Kiwi giving his opinion on Deans.

The fact that the blog doesn't seem to have been udpated for a couple of years and the author has no real journalistic pedigree seem to be ignored.

Realistically it's just another person's longwinded opinion which is not really something we're lacking.
I thought he put it well.
Lack of journalist pedigree is a positive in these times.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Haha! are you trying to win the argument or lose it?

btw welcome to the forum.

lol - I see your point...

But from where I sit - QC (Quade Cooper) plays very well under Link (sure he does a few crazy things but win/loss record would speak for itself) and all the Qlder players seem to love him - including Horwill / Genia etc... so the reason he mustn't fire under Deans would have to be Dean's strategy / devoid of any tactical game play.......... my thoughts only though

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
lol - I see your point.

But from where I sit - QC (Quade Cooper) plays very well under Link (sure he does a few crazy things but win/loss record would speak for itself) and all the Qlder players seem to love him - including Horwill / Genia etc. so the reason he mustn't fire under Deans would have to be Dean's strategy / devoid of any tactical game play.... my thoughts only though
Actually his win/loss record under Deans is just as impressive.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
lol - I see your point.

But from where I sit - QC (Quade Cooper) plays very well under Link (sure he does a few crazy things but win/loss record would speak for itself) and all the Qlder players seem to love him - including Horwill / Genia etc. so the reason he mustn't fire under Deans would have to be Dean's strategy / devoid of any tactical game play.... my thoughts only though

Or the other reason that test match rugby is substantially different to Super Rugby.

sneaker

Stan Wickham (3)
Hopefully the ARU has secretly given Link the nod months ago, and he covertly working on game plans to beat the All Blacks next season....with attack and scoring tries

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think a lot of the grief associated with Deans has been a lack of execution regarding the gameplan. The Brumbies rarely have issues executing their gameplan.

Well, not really

This year appears to be different, but they fell to pieces last year

Status
Not open for further replies.