1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Medical stuff

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by boyo, May 7, 2014.

1. boyo Mark Ella (57)

2. boyo Mark Ella (57)

3. cyclopath Stirling Mortlock (74)

They'll huff and they'll puff and they'll do exactly nothing about it. Legal minefield for them to start trying to dictate what a private practitioner charges.
    And yes, there are plenty who do charge ridiculous amounts, but it has ever been thus.
  4. ChargerWA Mark Loane (55)

It is a minefield, but I think on the other side of the balance that people who hold positions of power that by their very nature are limited to only a few individuals, need to have a modicum of social responsibility when they set their pricing. Not to say those who hold those positions haven't worked hard and don't deserve the fruits of their labour, but by the time you go through the rigmarole of getting a referral to a surgeon, wait 6 months to see them and then build a relationship, your kind of screwed if you don't like their pricing. Surgery by its very nature (ignoring cosmetic) is usually a time sensitive endeavour and you won't always have time to go surgeon shopping.

Anyway, ignore me. I'm probably being snarky because i'm off to the knee surgeon this arvo.
    Scoey and boyo like this.
  5. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

My knee surgeon gave me a DVD of the surgery each time.

Hours of entertainment for the whole family.
  6. cyclopath Stirling Mortlock (74)

It depends very much upon what type of surgeon you need to see, and where you live. There are plenty of surgeons with comparatively shorter waiting times, and who are far more reasonable in their prices. Some people feel they have to see Dr XYZ because, according to someone they spoke to, "They're the best" with the implication being anyone else is second-rate. Dr XYZ will probably be at the pointy end of the money pyramid too!! The reality is that most surgeons in Australia are extremely well trained on a world-wide comparative basis, and looking around is worthwhile.
    Unfortunately, in certain parts of our fair land, there are colleagues who prefer to have a 4 month waiting time for patients to get in to see them in their private rooms, and stridently oppose anyone else getting a toehold in their geographical area lest the sky fall in. Hence, people wait 4 months or more, then wait x-months to get a procedure done and so on.
    There is also a tendency for some of us to look at what another surgeon is charging (we all hear stories from patients before anyone suggests price-fixing) and ramp up the prices in the belief you're as good as they are, so ought to charge accordingly.
    Ultimately, the article has a good point - the level of prices charged by some is nuts, but I very much doubt the College of Surgeons would have the gumption, or legal position, to expel Fellows on this basis, and would probably face stiff, and expensive legal opposition.

Good luck with your knee!!
  7. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Considering some of them are probably on the executive committee!
  8. cyclopath Stirling Mortlock (74)

Probably not, actually. The ones who tend to get into medical "politics" are usually not the ones charging the biggest bucks.
    There's a message in that.
  9. boyo Mark Ella (57)

10. boyo Mark Ella (57)

11. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Surely it's the patients accessing Medicare rather than the doctor.

If the doctor is providing me a service that Medicare covers, I should have a right to claim that rebate regardless of what the doctor charges me.
  12. Dismal Pillock Tony Shaw (54)

NZ Herald today, .

[IMG]
  13. boyo Mark Ella (57)

Oh, that cancer.
  14. boyo Mark Ella (57)

15. boyo Mark Ella (57)

Ah Queensland - beautiful one day, poxy the next.
  16. Sully John Eales (66)

Fucking WANKERS. Inflicting their stupidity on their kids. Purposely giving anyone a disease should be against the law with a jail term affixed!
    Wazza2013 and Quick Hands like this.
  17. matty_k Peter Johnson (47)

It's not isolated to Queensland.
  18. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Indeed:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/e...rance-of-vaccine-dodgers-20151209-gljzkx.html

19. Highlander35 Paul McLean (56)

There are some opinions that simply shouldn't be tolerated. There's no reason why anti-vax in the 1st world shouldn't be held in the same regard as Female Circumcision and Antisemitism.
    I like to watch, Quick Hands and boyo like this.
  20. cyclopath Stirling Mortlock (74)

Unfortunately, the right to wilfully be an idiot is well supported in our society. And they are usually given many avenues along which to push their fucking retarded agenda.
    Quick Hands likes this.