• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I do hope Mr Orange is able to get funding for what appears to be a good iniative and program.

However I am not sure RA can pick and choose which creditors of the Melbourne Rebels they should pay or not pay, realistically it is now part of the administrators scope.

More concerning is that when there were no funds available why were the Rebels pledging money that they did not have. There is also a charity that they did not pay as well, see early parts of this thread.
There is no point funding it if the Rebels die as it leads nowhere. The whole idea is to sell them the idea of being a pro athlete and make them actually get educated.

I have heard if class room behaviour slides they have to run extra broncos at training.

But he says he has two more schools interested and scope to add another 10.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can’t see how RA wouldn’t be desperate for the Rebels to survive. But they are financially strained too and actually achieving that would appear to be incredibly difficult.
Not bailing out the Tahs is a start. If they can’t stand on their own two feet in what they always tell us is the biggest rugby market that’s on them

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
There's that, but there's also a later comment where he implies RA (or someone at RA) was aware of the debt the Rebels were racking up:
Reading between the lines and this has been my gut feel all along. RA knew the clubs were in a bad shape financially including the Rebels. They may not have been aware of the full extent.

They pushed to get a PE deal to get a short term cash injection to get the game through to 25 then 27 with the lions and World Cup.

The PE deal fell over because they saw the weak financial position of the game and the clubs and then we have been in this mess.

That’s just my gut feel that the PE deal was to try and avoid these very issues and there was no real plan b

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Not bailing out the Tahs is a start. If they can’t stand on their own two feet in what they always tell us is the biggest rugby market that’s on them
1708329266962.png

The logic is just incredible

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
To celebrate the fact that we actually get to go to friday's game, here's my best guess at this weeks team:

Kellaway, Anderson, Proctor, Feliuai, Daugunu, C Gordon, Louwrens
Gibbon, Mafi, Tupou, Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Kemeny, Wilkin, Leota
Res: Uelese, IAK, Talakai, Maiava, Ekuasi, Maunder, Strachan, G Vaihu

I think that's largely be uncontroversial: could easily swap halfbacks or hookers around. Eloff and Pone both seem to be still carrying niggles, so have left both out. Maiava is my left field pick, I've got a sneaky feeling that with Kevin's concern around lock depth he might go for the young energy of Daniel coming off a very good preseason and U20s campaign rather than Tualima or Smith.
Forwards look good. In the backs Glen Vaihi needs to be a starter. Maunder looks good at training.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Reading between the lines and this has been my gut feel all along. RA knew the clubs were in a bad shape financially including the Rebels. They may not have been aware of the full extent.

They pushed to get a PE deal to get a short term cash injection to get the game through to 25 then 27 with the lions and World Cup.

The PE deal fell over because they saw the weak financial position of the game and the clubs and then we have been in this mess.

That’s just my gut feel that the PE deal was to try and avoid these very issues and there was no real plan b
I don't think you need to be a financial genius to understand the Super Rugby clubs were struggling. RA, the Reds, Brumbies and Tahs all publish their annual financial statements. You can have a look at their profit/loss and balance sheet every year to see the debt situation.

It's somewhat telling that the Rebels don't publish their finances, appear to have been less than transparent with their balance sheet and have the biggest issues

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Waratahs published financial reports that were independently audited annually, their financial situation was transparent and free for anyone to read, and it’s not in the same league as the Rebels mess.

Complaining that Tahs were ‘bailed out’ but Rebels haven’t been, ignores the fact there’s about $20million difference in debt between the two.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Waratahs published reports that were independently audited annually, their financial situation was transparent and free for anyone to read, and it’s not in the same league as the Rebels mess.

Complaining that Tahs were ‘bailed out’ but Rebels haven’t been, ignores the fact there’s about $20million difference in debt between the two.
And the Tahs had $24m of assets too, as per their 2022 accounts

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
This really makes you wonder if RA gives a toss about development pathways. I would suggest that unless those pathways are the Sydney Eastern Suburbs private school network they really couldn't care less.

It all seems reasonably likely at this stage that the Rebels will not exist beyond this season and that appears to sit comfortably with RA. The only reason they will not make the call now is that they know that 9 will insist on renegotiating immediately as the structure of the agreement has been inherently changed by the actions of RA. Nine will argue that by sounding the death knell of a club in a key population center that RA has severely tainted Super Rugby as a value proposition to any broadcasting deal. Therefore, the agreed value could no longer be supported and if the RA want the current agreement to continue it will need to be at a significantly lower cost point. I think the starting position for the renegotiation would be a 28% decrease in potential viewership (based on population of included states) plus at least 20% (at best 4 games rather than 5 not taking into account games between Australian based clubs) less content of Australian interest per week. This would mean a drop in the value proposition to 9 of 43% and as such they would offer that as the drop in the broadcast rights. Also, do not dismiss the idea that if 9 don't see potential to make money in Super Rugby that they could use RA changing the competitions structure as a trigger to dissolve the agreement entirely.

This is a really ugly situation for RA and one they if they can't see a way around could really hurt the game in Australia. Unfortunately, I am not sure that RA's sight extends much beyond Moore Park.
Of course they don’t. Unless you’re a private school wanker from the eastern beaches you don’t matter. Why should rugby Australia change their approach that clearly isn’t working

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Waratahs published reports that were independently audited annually, their financial situation was transparent and free for anyone to read, and it’s not in the same league as the Rebels mess.

Why should they have been bailed out in the first place, if the debt is manageable as you say than manage it and don’t make it someone else’s problem

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Why should the Tahs be bailed out? Either assist both clubs or neither
Well if not for RA fronting up for catering, the Rebels might be scampering around to find a school willing to host them for Friday. Not a bad immediate first step in sorting out the mess.

Why should they have been bailed out in the first place, if the debt is manageable as you say than manage it and don’t make it someone else’s problem
But if the debt isn't manageable, then do? And expect them to take it on no questions asked?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well if not for RA fronting up for catering, the Rebels might be scampering around to find a school willing to host them for Friday. Not a bad immediate first step in sorting out the mess.

But if the debt isn't manageable, then do?
If they are so well off with 24m of assets and only a small debt let them take care of themselves.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Of course they don’t. Unless you’re a private school wanker from the eastern beaches you don’t matter. Why should rugby Australia change their approach that clearly isn’t working

ok. You need to know pull your head in. We get the emotion of the situation but your hysterical ranting are now beyond the pale. This is your final warning. Stop the repeated unjustified attacks or you’re gone.