• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
I think he may be your third choice scrumhalf.

He was let go by Exeter at the start of June and was not picked up by anyone.

From the Devon Live news website

"Scrum half Maunder was let go by Exeter Chiefs at the end of the 2022/23 season in a brutal reminder of the realities of professional sport .....
... But even Baxter decided it was time for a change at nine this summer and in the cutthroat world of professional sport told the Devon local boy his services were no longer required after 13 years at the club having come through the academy. To Maunder, the news came as a shock and upturned his world....."

I think Lourence and Tuttle will be ahead of him.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
There is a massive squeeze going on in the English game because there is so many players available in the market with fewer teams. The salaries of the top guys need to be competitive with the Top 14, so the middle guys are getting low salaries offered. It will force a few to look down here, if not just for the lifestyle and experience. Might as well live here if getting the same salary offered.

The 1 year deal makes me think he might have had something organised but has fallen through. For example a gig at London Irish that for obvious reasons can’t be completed or teams have deviated some of the salary that would of gone to him to attract players they didn’t think would be in the market

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I know nothing about the guy but on paper it seems like a good signing. I'll also channel a bit of a RugbyReg bellyache about signing an ineligible player instead of offering a promising young Queenslander a professional opportunity.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I agree, somewhat, hopefully in a couple of seasons we'll have a promising young Victorian coming through. We've let three ineligible players go and have only recruited 1, swings and roundabouts

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I agree, somewhat, hopefully in a couple of seasons we'll have a promising young Victorian coming through. We've let three ineligible players go and have only recruited 1, swings and roundabouts
And could be eligible for Aus in 1 year - was capped by England back in 2017 by Eddie.... Nic White will know him well.........maybe they had a chat?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1688681083492.png

Up the Viccies (and ACT + NT)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That is nice to see for Vic and ACT. I think it's really starting to show in the U18s and Schools teams that Vic can probably get on parody with ACT over the next few years at that level.

Would the QLD numbers be affected by the GPS schools moving the season? Read that a number of boys that may have been in a Cs-Fs team just started playing Basketball as they are in the same term now.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
As predicted Lukas Ripley has re-signed too. He’s nowhere near the finished product but hopefully being the understudy to Proctor is a less intense introduction to pro rugby ‘cause we could do with some quality centers.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
As predicted Lukas Ripley has re-signed too. He’s nowhere near the finished product but hopefully being the understudy to Proctor is a less intense introduction to pro rugby ‘cause we could do with some quality centers.
Great news

I cannot think of another player in Aus that would benefit more from a SRAU or an NRC (that isn’t all about throwing the ball around). He still plays the game like it’s a club match where he’s very loose with everything he does. Desperately needs to tighten up his game.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I see Hegarty has left the Force. He’d be a good pick up to return to the Rebels.

Wouldn’t cost much.
We need a back up 10
Could fill the Hodge utility void for 12 months until Mason Gordon improves a little more.
We need a 15 back up.
Good bench utility if playing 6/2

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I see Hegarty has left the Force. He’d be a good pick up to return to the Rebels.

Wouldn’t cost much.
We need a back up 10
Could fill the Hodge utility void for 12 months until Mason Gordon improves a little more.
We need a 15 back up.
Good bench utility if playing 6/2
I saw that, didn’t say anything about where he might be going. A return to the Rebels for those reasons would make him a welcome addition. He may not want to, though. He wasn’t too happy about Jack Deb being given preference over him.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I saw that, didn’t say anything about where he might be going. A return to the Rebels for those reasons would make him a welcome addition. He may not want to, though. He wasn’t too happy about Jack Deb being given preference over him.

Speaking of Jack Deb, the brums could very well roll out Goddard/Deb as starters against us next yr!