• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
A new rugby academy opening in Mernda. I think this will take the total number of public schools to 7.

The 4 original Schools in the Rebel Shield, Fountain Gate, Hampton Park, The Grange and Melton. Now with Mernda, Narre Warren and Sunshine.

Would be amazing to see it become a 10 team competition

Last edited:

Chucamuca

Bob McCowan (2)
A new rugby academy opening in Mernda. I think this will take the total number of public schools to 7.

The 4 original Schools in the Rebel Shield, Fountain Gate, Hampton Park, The Grange and Melton. Now with Mernda, Narre Warren and Sunshine.

Gotta say, I've been pretty impressed with grassroots in Victoria lately

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Gotta say, I've been pretty impressed with grassroots in Victoria lately
Absolutely. Victoria is producing top talent regularly now with the still limited amount of Rugby played. NSW & QLD for obvious reasons lead the production of players but I'd be confident in saying Vic has got to a point they are equal with ACT in my mind with WA slightly behind.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Absolutely. Victoria is producing top talent regularly now with the still limited amount of Rugby played. NSW & QLD for obvious reasons lead the production of players but I'd be confident in saying Vic has got to a point they are equal with ACT in my mind with WA slightly behind.

They are ahead of ACT, ACT has barely any homegrown talent.

If you go look at the brumbies team list you’ll find that they import most of their players from qpr/Shute shield & (schoolboy rugby)

Where as Victoria is more of a export of talent… some of their player base is big fish small pond

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I’m biased but I think it’s clear Vic is 3rd on the production line. Not sure if there was a single player from ACT or WA in the wallabies team on the weekend. Can think of 1 from ACT in the wider squad (Lonergan) and 0 from WA. Happy to be quoted wrong but there is Samu, Valetini, Fa’amasuili, Uelese and Leota in the current squad.

It’s one of those narrative things Aus rugby loves to have that doesn’t match reality.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m biased but I think it’s clear Vic is 3rd on the production line. Not sure if there was a single player from ACT or WA in the wallabies team on the weekend. Can think of 1 from ACT in the wider squad (Lonergan) and 0 from WA. Happy to be quoted wrong but there is Samu, Valetini, Fa’amasuili, Uelese and Leota in the current squad.

All you have to do is Wikipedia players from Victoria and compare it to ACT.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)

Fuck yeah, great news. Filling the gap a bit between the east and the west there. Are there no rugby schools around Reservoir?

The east is doing so well. Still have nightmares about playing Endeavour Hills, couldn't tell who was the prop, fullback or flyhalf. All weighed 130kg and all ran faster than me.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fuck yeah, great news. Filling the gap a bit between the east and the west there. Are there no rugby schools around Reservoir?

The east is doing so well. Still have nightmares about playing Endeavour Hills, couldn't tell who was the prop, fullback or flyhalf. All weighed 130kg and all ran faster than me.
Game plan for us vs EH, pods are going to be twice as far apart. The wider the better to get them to tire out quicker. Use to work to

Them and Souths always had big units running around, I am not small and got carried back 5 meters by a Souths lock when reaching for the tryline one game. We scored off the next phase but I was still pissed off.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surely there has to be a school or two in the inner west that's feeding juniors to PH, Footscray and Rhinos.

Pone's Mullet

Ron Walden (29)
Have a look at Academy Movement and Jimmy Orange, he is doing amazing things - I think he's up to 7 players in the Rebels Programs have come through Academy movement