• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Playing 10 for his club

his last two games have been (ironically with Glen Vaihu at fullback) but most the rest of the season, including Aussie 20s, hes been fullback. And it was suggested thats where he saw his future, I guess with his big brother firmly ensconced at 10

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
his last two games have been (ironically with Glen Vaihu at fullback) but most the rest of the season, including Aussie 20s, hes been fullback. And it was suggested thats where he saw his future, I guess with his big brother firmly ensconced at 10
@reg and others, does it look like he has the same or close to the same potential as Carter?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Unless things have changed, as of only a few months ago he saw his future as a 15 and so did the club. It would also suggest that the u20s national team saw his future there as well. That’s not saying he can’t and won’t play other positions. In my eyes he’s an obvious candidate in the early phases of his career to get some game time from him utility value which could see him play 10 if needed.

As for potential compared to Carter. It’s hard to say, we have seen a lot more of Mason than Carter at the same stage of career. He doesn’t look any worse at QPrem level, can’t compare u20s because Carter didn’t get the opportunity (Covid) and he hasn’t had a pro opportunity yet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@reg and others, does it look like he has the same or close to the same potential as Carter?

I haven't seen it to be honest. Carter in my eyes is the better player, even at comparable times. Mason solid for sure, but Carter was running the Wests backline at the same age.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I wonder if Mason will be given the lead for this Japan tour as a "yes or no" proposition: if he's ready to be the backup we "mostly" leave the back is, if he isn't then we pursue someone like Hegarty or an NPC bloke as a 1 or 2 season option.

Unless we're gonna pull a rabbit out of a hat and announce Isaac Lucas or some shit.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
A lot of these schools promoting sporting programs to improve attendance etc. it’s such a good idea. Better having the kids coming to school and attending their maths, English, science classes and been half attentive knowing they have rugby as a subject during the day, than not turning up at all.

Reactions: TSR

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebel Shield being an 8 team comp next year is amazing. It makes me at least optimistic that with the growth that could happen off the back off the Lions and the World Cup that we could have a 20 team comp in a decade.

The way Jimmy Orange sells the program off improved academic, attendance and behavioural outcomes is key to this as the state government will fund these academies for those reasons then rugby benefits off the back of improving social outcomes for disadvantaged kids

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Going to be a great day out at box hill today,

tips
Quins (but would love Lebron to have a motm performance & take it into the japan tour)
EH girls to have an undefeated season
Bulldogs take the 2's back across the westgate
Rams thirsty 3rd will be quenched

The Bulls to charge all the way to melb & back up to shep
The only thing that stops Melton from a perfect season is the day the ref called in sick

The might rams from the surf coast to go up a division after a dominant display

Good luck everyone!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Going to be a great day out at box hill today,

tips
Quins (but would love Lebron to have a motm performance & take it into the japan tour) tick
EH girls to have an undefeated season tick
Bulldogs take the 2's back across the westgate tick
Rams thirsty 3rd will be quenched tick

The Bulls to charge all the way to melb & back up to shep tick
The only thing that stops Melton from a perfect season is the day the ref called in sick tick

The might rams from the surf coast to go up a division after a dominant display 74 min in up by 9 thought i picked a clean sweep :mad:

Good luck everyone!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Stacey Ili from a talented family. His brother currently playing against team USA in basketball for NZ

yeah there was actually coverage in the Melbourne media last yr about a double header of a a rebels game into a United game across the rd straight after.

stacey is a bit unlucky that 2 brothers arnt playing 2 world cups for different countries at the same time

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rebels sign Jake Strachan and Ethan Dobbins.

I've been really impressed with Dobbins this season, good pick up.

edit: Jake is for 1 year, seems very much squad cover, haven't been overly impressed with him at the WF. Dobbins is for 2 years. Does anyone know how old Ethan is? 24-25?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Well there's the Stand off depth.

Happy enough with that. Strong enough player that we won't be in the shit and running Jooste or Mason there if Carter misses games, not outstanding to the point that he can't be left out of the 23.

Dobbins is a good pick up as well.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dobbins was suppose to be a rebel last year (as per rumour on qpr thread) reds got the injury cover contracr to him so he stuck around.

His a great hooker option because he plays like a open side flanker

Reactions: TSR