• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Stockade1988

Stan Wickham (3)
Where does world beater come into it? You said quality, which, while accurate in a number of areas, has two of which are rubbish.

Leota and Ekuasi, while not at the same standard as pure 8s for the international arena as Valetini, Gleeson or Wilson are, are very good Rugby players and at Super level are more than capable of slightly adapting their games and providing a different but equal impact to those players.

And while Anderson lacks an individual "elite" attribute that will garner him any extended international selection, he has a very strong all round wingers game: he has the size, pace and rugby intelligence to be a strong carrier and good finisher, and an excellent defender, particularly in one on one tackles and at the ruck.

Those aren't positions I see us being exposed in.

You obviously don't hold a high opinion of Daugunu so I won't linger on him (note I did not indicate the 11 jersey either) or any of the other wing options, but in addition to the issues at scrum half and inside center you highlighted, we lack depth at Lock after the two starters, we lack a back up stand off, and both our 1 & 2 hookers have had extensive issues with throwing. To me, those are the obvious "playing squad" issues which our season will depend on, not which players start at wing or 8.
Well you got that wrong Leota in Wallaby squad and Anderson and Dauganu both in Aust A and Barbarians

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Well you got that wrong Leota in Wallaby squad and Anderson and Dauganu both in Aust A and Barbarians

Did you read the comment?

Leota is an international standard backrow, but doesn't seem to be seen as an 8 for the WOBs. But his skillset works fine at Super level at 8 which still allows for more non-traditional pack compositions to work.

I like Daugunu, but Eastman's description of him as "a red's cast-off" meant that he seemingly didn't, and as such I didn't want to engage in that.

And I stand by my comments about Anderson. He's a really good winger, and there's no question that a lot of countries he'd be a regular at international level. But he lacks something truly... point of difference/mercurial that will see him sit behind other back 3 options in Australia: Marika, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway, Jorgenson, Wright, Vunivalu, probably Sua'ali'i shortly as well.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Saw a couple of wests boys training (boxing/spin class) with the rebels on their social pages

Max Johnson - lock… (he started for wests in their grand final win in 2022 but don’t think he made the prems this year due to injury)

Tim Faingaanuku - prop, former Aus u20…

My assumption is these 2 guys are on short term contracts/trials for the tour to Japan later in year?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Max has been with the Rebels for a couple of years. Straight out of school potentially.

Yep and he was named in the rebels A squads at start of year and was in Aus u20s setup start of year

But his name disappeared so I assumed he got a long term injury start of year