• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
There's still a fair few grounds that could be used. EH, Powerhouse jnrs, Wyndham Rhinos just none of them are remotely central

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
EH is possible, but I have never enjoyed the Field 1 surface.
PH Juniors has a nice deck; I just hated last year's finals experience, where I had no space to run warm-ups (I was literally in the garden bed).
Rhinos, much like Quins - a big cricket pitch in the middle.

Probably your best bet for a dedicated pitch & facilities is Box Hill.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's been a while since I've seen any releases about it, but what's the go with the Sports precinct at La Trobe (Uni not Valley)? If the Rugby Center of excellence up that way is close to completion (or they can get access to the Women's Football Facilities) that could be on the table.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would they take it regional? I'm pretty sure they've played that tahs trial in Albury-Woodonga in the past, leaning into the twin towns on the border aspect.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's been a while since I've seen any releases about it, but what's the go with the Sports precinct at La Trobe (Uni not Valley)? If the Rugby Center of excellence up that way is close to completion (or they can get access to the Women's Football Facilities) that could be on the table.
Still a building site I think

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Would they take it regional? I'm pretty sure they've played that tahs trial in Albury-Woodonga in the past, leaning into the twin towns on the border aspect.

We have done a deal with the Brums before instead of home & away trials over 2 yrs having 2 in Albury

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
EH is possible, but I have never enjoyed the Field 1 surface.
PH Juniors has a nice deck; I just hated last year's finals experience, where I had no space to run warm-ups (I was literally in the garden bed).
Rhinos, much like Quins - a big cricket pitch in the middle.

Probably your best bet for a dedicated pitch & facilities is Box Hill.
Field 1 at EH is a lot better than it used to be, but I haven't checked it out post downpour over the last week, that is always when it struggled.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Field 1 at EH is a lot better than it used to be, but I haven't checked it out post downpour over the last week, that is always when it struggled.

Same for BH - it's a feeder basin for Gardiner's Creek. I expect it would have been smashed over the last few weeks.

It's likely to be Goshs or Albury, given that most suburban grounds are in varying states of fitness and availability. Would be great PR to host it a suburban ground, and the Rebels (and Rugby in general) can't buy enough of that right now.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
any word on the scrumhalf down there? How’s Maunder shaping up? Who are the locals tipping to start and bench?

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
any word on the scrumhalf down there? How’s Maunder shaping up? Who are the locals tipping to start and bench?
Louwrens has been leading the all the fitness testing and Maunder has been impressive too (but who hasn't in pre-season). I think they'll reward Ryan with the first start and play Jack off the bench.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Louwrens has been leading the all the fitness testing and Maunder has been impressive too (but who hasn't in pre-season). I think they'll reward Ryan with the first start and play Jack off the bench.
No word on Tuttle?

Louwrens to start does make sense though, they'll likely want to give Gordon as much familiarity in the halves as possible with the changes through the rest of the backline.