• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
As a Pies fan I have spent a bit of time down there and it’s also shit.

If there is 1000 seat grandstand at La Trobe it should hold all the trail games.

Hopefully we have a club into the future so this can be a worry

We shouldn't be taking trial games to places 40 min from the home base & an hour + from where most of the supporters live.

Trials should always be at the clubs practice facilities or at a community ground if up to standard which Moorabbin very much is.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We shouldn't be taking trial games to places 40 min from the home base & an hour + from where most of the supporters live.

Trials should always be at the clubs practice facilities or at a community ground if up to standard which Moorabbin very much is.

And do you have to present confirmation of Land Rover ownership at the gate? Or will any luxury European model be accepted?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)

maybe that’s the problem with the rebels because you not keen on going regional… I am unsure if there’s is regional community rugby in Victoria…

but taking a trial to a large regional town might get a couple of fans in their ute every weekend and take the drive to AAMI park.

Unless these trials there’s a cover charge to gain entry to the venue. I don’t really see why regional Victoria can’t have a crack at hosting rugby.

any venues on the Albury wadonga (spelling) area/ state border? might be able to attract some disgruntled Tahs fans.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
maybe that’s the problem with the rebels because you not keen on going regional… I am unsure if there’s is regional community rugby in Victoria…

but taking a trial to a large regional town might get a couple of fans in their ute every weekend and take the drive to AAMI park.

Unless these trials there’s a cover charge to gain entry to the venue. I don’t really see why regional Victoria can’t have a crack at hosting rugby.

any venues on the Albury wadonga (spelling) area/ state border? might be able to attract some disgruntled Tahs fans.

Shepperton has a PI community & they even won the 2nd grade prem last yr but their facilities is just not upto scratch to host professional rugby same can be said for Geelong, Ballarat & Bendigo. I went to a Storm trial at Geelong's afl ground last yr & there wouldn't have been 4k there & the storm are at least a 4 times bigger club than the rebs & have entrenched themselves in the melb sporting landscape.

Albury has 2 or 3 sides & are a great club but they fall under the Brumbies banner as they play in the SIRU

RV community is damn strong & producing wallabies but its all either in the outer south eastern or outer west suburbs.

The Tahs cant get union to work in Penrith! country vic is afl & afl only. I live in regional vic & love my rugby but I am 1 in prob a million

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

Mate, we're talking about trial matches. If the home of Rugby Victoria administration, the Rebels Women's side and the Vic Juniors/Academy, which is spitting distance from CH Sullivan, can't host a men's trial, something's stuffed up.

Obviously as the central spot and the current training base Gosch's is the best outcome overall, but, presuming existence continues, there will be people involved who want to show it off.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

lol Moorabbin with all due respect is a shit facility. There is fuck all parking, no seating, no undercover areas. You can’t even stand at the clubhouse and watch the game as it looks over the second field. La Trobe is meant to be home to all the pathways and the women’s. Also it’s 50 minutes closer to the airport the location that all the teams we play are headed after the game

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm pretty sure with the current big build i progress I could get from my inner Melbourne location to the Sydney Football Stadium quicker than Moorabbin...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
More bad news, or bad News...

Exclusive: The financial disaster at the Melbourne Rebels’ is double previous estimates, with the club’s long-term future in doubt as debts hit $20 million.

It can also be revealed that Victorian taxpayers are forking out $50,000 each time the Rebels play at AAMI Stadium.

The new details have emerged about the collapsed club ahead of a creditors’ meeting on Thursday.

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) was owed at least $10 million, which included up to five years of unpaid tax on players’ and staff wages.

Board members were owed as much as $6 million as they put their own skin in the game, while suppliers made up the bulk of the remaining debt.

Rugby Australia has confirmed it will underwrite players’ wages this season, with top star Taniela Tupou signing on for as much as $500,000 this year.

There are questions about the payment of wages to the club’s 40 staff, including coaches and administration team members. Rugby Australia has provided limited funding to pay those wages, but a deal on the remainder of the season was yet to be inked.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
reading about the trial is bittersweet. Sounds like the Rebels had fun and Victorian lads in Canham and Maiava went very well.

Offseason champions but sounds like a strong squad.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If RA are guaranteeing the salaries of all Rebels players in 2024, does this essentially mean no other franchises are able to go to market with contracts for players who would be eligible for RA topups?

Surely RA don't have the funds to be fronting the Rebels salaries and keep business as usual for everything else. I imagine there would be a RA wide hiring freezing until the issue is resolved.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
If RA are guaranteeing the salaries of all Rebels players in 2024, does this essentially mean no other franchises are able to go to market with contracts for players who would be eligible for RA topups?

Surely RA don't have the funds to be fronting the Rebels salaries and keep business as usual for everything else. I imagine there would be a RA wide hiring freezing until the issue is resolved.
Excluding the warratahs

they just got kellaway and he was most likely on a RA top up.

one set of rule for all. Then the special circumstance clause for the Tahs