• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
In a practical sense what does that mean? The directors will have to come up with the cash to pay the tax bill?
I'm no expert and I'd say it's unlikely that would happen for a not for profit where no-one has made a fortune, but directors being given the tax bill personally is an option the ATO has

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm no expert and I'd say it's unlikely that would happen for a not for profit where no-one has made a fortune, but directors being given the tax bill personally is an option the ATO has
Fair call, would seem very harsh as normally these roles aren’t paid. I’m not sure how it works but I know in the AFL the club CEO is paid but the President isn’t

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Melboune Rebels Rugby Union Pty Ltd is not a not for profit, therefore directors remain liable:

Screenshot 2024-02-05 141153.png

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
That was underwhelming the only question the answered was about the players wives? Who cares

Give us some information, they say they don’t like the media speculation that has the debt anywhere from 9-20m provide some clarity on that.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Baden is playing the participation contract card. Interesting play.
Hardly surprising. Outside miracle plays and winding up, the contractual obligations to the Super venture and the BILs tour has always seemed the most likely thing to result in an 18 month guarantee.

Of course, if figures are accurate, any penalties or fees RA may face may be end being much smaller than keeping us alive.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Re the article: "The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) was owed at least $10 million, which included up to five years of unpaid tax on players’ and staff wages."
Is that saying that Melbourne Rebels withheld group tax from players and other staff and then did not forward it on to the ATO? For five years?
Surely Baden has to go

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I mean isn’t that a fairly common thing for companies trading insolvent?

I have a very rudimentary understanding of tax in the this country but it’s not like the Rebels were taking money from the players and staff and not passing it on right? They simply weren’t paying the PAYG portion of the salaries to the ATO?

Does the article say if it’s simply overdue or if they’ve negotiated deferral payments? The dollar figures don’t change but it’s a pretty different situation if they’ve just buried their head in the sand and not paid the ATO until they came knocking, or if they actively sought instalment plans etc.

I guess for it to be happening for 5 years it’s likely there’s at least a portion that was just being pushed to the side and the ATO weren’t aware. Hard to do though with the STP reporting requirements.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Re the article: "The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) was owed at least $10 million, which included up to five years of unpaid tax on players’ and staff wages."
Is that saying that Melbourne Rebels withheld group tax from players and other staff and then did not forward it on to the ATO? For five years?
Surely Baden has to go
I was criticised for using the phrase 'poor governance' too many times in relation to this Rebels Board, and I agree, that doesn't reflect how poorly they've performed, this is almost at the point of being a prosecutable offence.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I mean isn’t that a fairly common thing for companies trading insolvent?

I have a very rudimentary understanding of tax in the this country but it’s not like the Rebels were taking money from the players and staff and not passing it on right? They simply weren’t paying the PAYG portion of the salaries to the ATO?

Does the article say if it’s simply overdue or if they’ve negotiated deferral payments? The dollar figures don’t change but it’s a pretty different situation if they’ve just buried their head in the sand and not paid the ATO until they came knocking, or if they actively sought instalment plans etc.

I guess for it to be happening for 5 years it’s likely there’s at least a portion that was just being pushed to the side and the ATO weren’t aware. Hard to do though with the STP reporting requirements.
If this was happening then those are some brave (or fucking stupid) directors. Aren't directors personally liable for any debts incurred whilst insolvent?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
If this was happening then those are some brave (or fucking stupid) directors. Aren't directors personally liable for any debts incurred whilst insolvent?
Yes. I'm imagine a fair few of them are in the "professional board member" stage of their careers, so to put that in jeopardy is quite unbelievable.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Isn't too good, remember the season pre COVID it was close to 10k
Mate it’s so much shitter after covid. Half the food vendors are closed, half the bars are closed the food offerings are way worse and more expensive. I still love going but they don’t make it easy.

Storm or Victory games they open up the MCG parking so you only pay $10, Rebels you have to park in the tennis centre at over $30. I use to park at Punt road but I guess that’s shut with the redevelopments.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Mate it’s so much shitter after covid. Half the food vendors are closed, half the bars are closed the food offerings are way worse and more expensive. I still love going but they don’t make it easy.

Storm or Victory games they open up the MCG parking so you only pay $10, Rebels you have to park in the tennis centre at over $30. I use to park at Punt road but I guess that’s shut with the redevelopments.
I park along the river and just walk across the bridge, normally cost about $4. Completely agree regarding food vendors, the one outside my seats is normally closed.