• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
lol, gambling will be fine. It will never be banned. Rugby doesn’t take a moral objection to gambling, there is just no interest from the gambling companies in Aus for Rugby
The Rebels in fact do take a moral objection to sports betting (or at least it's advertising) as partners to the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation:
1707600396370.png

This is what people are generally talking about when "bans" on sports betting are discussed - restrictions on the advertising, particularly around and during sporting events. The current odds integrated into the broadcast model that NRL work with does not have long left.

FWIW I back this stance by the Rebels, I think they're on the right side of this one.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
i agree with you Wilson…

but if a betting agency or pokie club somehow saved the rebels. I would be the first person to turn a blind eye because all the other codes do it
I don't see that happening. AFL teams in Victoria have been getting out of pokies, they likely see the writing on the wall at a state government level. While they've still got some time to run it costs money to get into them which is something the Rebels just don't have.

As far as sports betting agencies go, my understanding is they're not actually paying overs on the sponsorship and most of their strategy is signing up as many teams as possible. Any sponsorship that came in from a TAB or a sportsbet or whoever would just be inline with market rates and wouldn't really shift the needle. They'd be very unlikely to buy an actual stake in the side beyond sponsorship, it would only leave them more exposed to changes in the law around sports betting and it's advertising.

Bob McCowan (2)
It's unfortunate that we face such an uncertain future when we have possibly the most loaded roster in our history (mind you we'll probably still only win our standard four games :rolleyes:).

Round 1 v Brumbies will be our 200th "competitive" match (including the 0-35 loss against the B&I Lions in 2013).
Round 2 ("Super" Round) v Force will be our 200th Super Rugby match.
Our overall record so far is 63 wins, 134 losses, and 2 draws, for a win % of ~ 31.66. Ouch to the Max!

This is inclusive of Super Rugby AU in 2020-21 and the farcical Trans-Tasman "comp." in 2021, but not pre-season trial matches.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Rebels in fact do take a moral objection to sports betting (or at least it's advertising) as partners to the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation:
View attachment 18188

This is what people are generally talking about when "bans" on sports betting are discussed - restrictions on the advertising, particularly around and during sporting events. The current odds integrated into the broadcast model that NRL work with does not have long left.

FWIW I back this stance by the Rebels, I think they're on the right side of this one.
No it’s because they are reliant on government money and no sports betting agency is interested in sponsoring them

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No it’s because they are reliant on government money and no sports betting agency is interested in sponsoring them
Also VIC Govt are a major sponsor of Rebels through TAC, wouldn't be surprised if one of the conditions is that they cant sign a better agency. They’re pretty standard to includes those kinds of conditions in sponsorships.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also VIC Govt are a major sponsor of Rebels through TAC, wouldn't be surprised if one of the conditions is that they cant sign a better agency. They’re pretty standard to includes those kinds of conditions in sponsorships.
Yep, there is no moral objection. They are financially dependent on the government.

You can also clearly see with how few markets are offered on rugby betting agencies don’t see it as that profitable

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep, there is no moral objection. They are financially dependent on the government.

You can also clearly see with how few markets are offered on rugby betting agencies don’t see it as that profitable
I’d be happy if all teams signed up to anti gambling campaigns, but like you say the reality is that there isn’t the same $$ in gambling for rugby domestically.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely RA step in somehow? That's quite incredible negligence on the part of the directors. They can't have known they would be held personally liable?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Surely RA step in somehow? That's quite incredible negligence on the part of the directors. They can't have known they would be held personally liable?
Someone may be able to correct me, but I believe directors can be held accountable for any debts incurred after an organisation first becomes insolvent - this date is established by the liquidators after review of the books.