• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)
So you chronically under fund a team and act all shocked when they go broke.

I tell you what is a joke the fucking incompetent clown Phil Waugh saying on the ABC it won’t affect the pathways in Melbourne when anyone on the ground here knows it will kill them completely. There is a complete disregard the attitude from Waugh and RA is simply “fuck them” when the hypocrite talks about reconnecting with community. Only community he is reconnecting with are old boys in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

The only solution is to properly fund the side so they can grow the game. If we are unable to do that we need to exit super rugby all together and live within our means and build a completion from there.
Did you feel the same when the licence was sold for $1 to the VRU and the Force got shafted ?But now your getting the rough end of the pineapple due to your own boards fuck up - its Phil's fault - i have no love for the RA admin but this tragedy started with the Rebels board - and yes RA is shit at admim

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Did you feel the same when the licence was sold for $1 to the VRU and the Force got shafted ?But now your getting the rough end of the pineapple due to your own boards fuck up - its Phil's fault - i have no love for the RA admin but this tragedy started with the Rebels board - and yes RA is shit at admim
lol here we go I absolutely hated seeing the Force get cut but that’s done now happened 7 years ago. It is done

What did you want the VRU to do not fight for the game in Vic?

Phil Waugh is a smug prick that cares only for Sydney. He is an arrogant wanker that has to go, people like him is what is wrong with the game in Australia.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You aren’t offering up a solution. The solution is having a team in Melbourne
You are obviously angry, and that's fair enough. The preference is of course a professional team in Melbourne, and perhaps that will somehow happen. I was participating in a discussion where the assumption is there isn't one.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Twiggy ? - and your board didnt tip that much in but it might be what they are liable for due to their incompetence as board members
Twiggy is a given.

Put the ATO money aside, we’ll just continue the narrative that the directors are incompetent buffoons who couldn’t have any idea what racking up $10m+ of debt to the ATO meant for them personally.

There is still $6m they contributed to keep the team going.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
You are obviously angry, and that's fair enough. The preference is of course a professional team in Melbourne, and perhaps that will somehow happen. I was participating in a discussion where the assumption is there isn't one.
It is no solution. Only the kids not good enough to make it in any other sport would choose to be a brumby. Without the Rebels the pathway is lost

I saw first hand when I played players leave when they made rep sides in Aussie rules now we have the Storm who are aiming to bring locals through.

You may get the odd kid here or there that will choose the Brumbies but you will lose at least 90% of the production you have now.

Certain people in RA may think it will have no effect, maybe he should live what he says about connecting with community and actually come down here

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
What is Phill Waugh doing? It was reported on Friday a stadium deal was done and tickets will go on sale over the weekend. Yet no tickets on sale. I am lucky that I am a member.

RA will make a big song and dance about nobody being there, just another the incompetent fool has put in the too hard basket

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Twiggy is a given.

Put the ATO money aside, we’ll just continue the narrative that the directors are incompetent buffoons who couldn’t have any idea what racking up $10m+ of debt to the ATO meant for them personally.

There is still $6m they contributed to keep the team going.

Even if this narrative you’re pushing here were true, that the directors intentionally racked up $11million in debt against the ATO as a personal sacrifice to the club with intent to receive a penalty notice. Then yes i would say that’s pretty dam incompetent as it’s absolutely the worst possible way to personally cover debt. Providing a loan, sponsorship, donation prior to going into voluntary administration is prefferred way to ‘tipping in’.

Was the unpaid superannuation intentional as well, or is that considered ‘tippin-in’ to rugby by those employees.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What is Phill Waugh doing? It was reported on Friday a stadium deal was done and tickets will go on sale over the weekend. Yet no tickets on sale. I am lucky that I am a member.
Yeah not been able to buy tickets is a joke, it’s absolutely in everybodys interests to get that signed sooner then later though

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
It's going to be a lock out on Friday, members won't be given access. Waugh has no interest in getting fans in, it's been clear when he hasn't mentioned the fans once.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It's going to be a lock out on Friday, members won't be given access. Waugh has no interest in getting fans in, it's been clear when he hasn't mentioned the fans once.
Mate if he locks us out after saying our membership entitlements will be honoured he needs to be sacked on the spot.

Bob McCowan (2)
Why do I get the feeling that the Rebles might must be the first domino to fall?
Melbourne Rebels the first domino to fall.gif

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
This thread has realistically broken GAGR rules 6 and 10 a few times now. Just be aware.
Let the man have his pashun. It's a great read.

If the Reds board and CEO arsefucked the entire franchise into closing down and THEN had the brazen gall to ask for another 5 mill as personal compensation I'm sure your language might be bordering on the slightly profane and personal too.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I love the narrative here that Phil Waugh, despite there not being a single Super Rugby game played during his tenure as Rugby Australia CEO is responsible for the Rebels saga and should stand down.
It's nothing to do with that, actions speak louder then words, and his words don't even have any support. Can't even get the name of the Rebels captain right, how is he professional enough to do the job?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Timeframe for Rebels future is now "Before the end of super rugby pacific". Not sure dragging things out like that is anyone's interest, whichever way it goes.

Makes sense - drag it out and see how many supporters you can disenfranchise. Regardless of outcome we’ll have no players or coaches in 2025, but I guess that will make it easier to justify RA’s decision.