• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I honestly believe that RA do not actually want the Rebels to survive as they fully support the shrink to greatness model. If the Rebels can find a way to fund their debt that will satisfy the receivers then RA will find their hand forced. They will have to either admit that it is the financial viability of Australian Rugby and not the Melbourne Rebels that is the issue including both propping up the Tahs and their own largess or look to a different target for elimination.

this is my logic too…

I think 3 of the 4 franchises want to see the rebels stay on- but it’s the Waratahs who don’t. When/if rebels fold it will solve a lot of problems for NSW and their shitty roster.

If Waratah Phil saves the rebels, my faith in RA will be restored but I don’t have high hopes.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Been saying it all along. There was an article way back in the Australian that stated the debts were much larger than stated. Yet they get bailed out.
As far as I can tell, this isn't new news but somewhat sloppy reporting - as you say, the story broke and the Tah's debt estimates were updated in the media (iirc ~$5-7m) the week or two following the initial reports. Their debts are still substantially less than the Rebels'.

Also, once again, worth noting that RA seemingly didn't knowingly 'bail out' the Tahs, but instead failed to do their due diligence. I can imagine if they had done their DD, on all clubs' books, they would've been substantially less gung-ho about centralisation.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
this is my logic too…

I think 3 of the 4 franchises want to see the rebels stay on- but it’s the Waratahs who don’t. When/if rebels fold it will solve a lot of problems for NSW and their shitty roster.

If Waratah Phil saves the rebels, my faith in RA will be restored but I don’t have high hopes.
I’m sure Dan the Red wouldn’t mind some of them up north….

Why would the Tahs give a shit anymore or less than other sides? Really.

Once again Rugby have an issue and we have to point and scream at someone else. Tahs have issues for sure but they weren’t the ones running the Rebels into the ground for years. Too busy doing it to themselves.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
As far as I can tell, this isn't new news but somewhat sloppy reporting - as you say, the story broke and the Tah's debt estimates were updated in the media (iirc ~$5-7m) the week or two following the initial reports. Their debts are still substantially less than the Rebels'.

Also, once again, worth noting that RA seemingly didn't knowingly 'bail out' the Tahs, but instead failed to do their due diligence. I can imagine if they had done their DD, on all clubs' books, they would've been substantially less gung-ho about centralisation.
That’s hardly a glowing endorsement of RA

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Jesus, I thought Brett was a journo. He is better than that. All that says is I read somewhere that
One thing is for sure: Something is not clicking at the Tash and hasn't for some time.

It is either the players are not listening to the coaching team OR the coaches don't have a clue how to coach at this level.

I have said it in multiple forums, they can't keep hiring coaches that will learn their trade in Super Rugby, not nagging him but DC seems like a SHute Shile level coach and nothing more, AND if others are actually doing the coaching (Jason Gilmore) well questions need to be asked.

The Tahs are clueless, and they only have two or thing in their arsenal, the way Dylan Pietsch blew that try last Friday really annoys me, he should have set up the play to pass the ball inside and they score... Cheika would have killed him for that and made him walk home.

PS: I hope the Rebesl stay

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Never said it was - just highlighting that your repeated claim of the Tahs being bailed out by RA are, at best, inaccurate.
They did get bailed out, the fact RA bailed them out without due diligence is just embarrassing and a complete failure by the board

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
One thing is for sure: Something is not clicking at the Tash and hasn't for some time.

It is either the players are not listening to the coaching team OR the coaches don't have a clue how to coach at this level.

I have said it in multiple forums, they can't keep hiring coaches that will learn their trade in Super Rugby, not nagging him but DC seems like a SHute Shile level coach and nothing more, AND if others are actually doing the coaching (Jason Gilmore) well questions need to be asked.

The Tahs are clueless, and they only have two or thing in their arsenal, the way Dylan Pietsch blew that try last Friday really annoys me, he should have set up the play to pass the ball inside and they score... Cheika would have killed him for that and made him walk home.

PS: I hope the Rebesl stay
Same with the Rebels we just promoted Foote when we sacked Wessels.

I really like what Foote has done to try and build a strong culture at the club but the results just aren’t there.

Look at Les Kiss, comes into the Reds not a great lineup on paper but have been one of the top Aus teams this year. Why are the Brumbies always strong due to the quality of their coaching

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Same with the Rebels we just promoted Foote when we sacked Wessels.

I really like what Foote has done to try and build a strong culture at the club but the results just aren’t there.

Look at Les Kiss, comes into the Reds not a great lineup on paper but have been one of the top Aus teams this year. Why are the Brumbies always strong due to the quality of their coaching
Eh the Reds have had a strong roster for the last 3-4 years IMO. And Les is 3/6 - certainly some good wins in there but they aren't exactly world beaters yet.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Eh the Reds have had a strong roster for the last 3-4 years IMO. And Les is 3/6 - certainly some good wins in there but they aren't exactly world beaters yet.
There roster is not that good. There last two weeks they have dropped the ball

The point is he is the second best coach of an Aus side at the moment.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah i read last night from some A-League fans i follow (on twitter so take with a grain of salt) that the developer who was previously going to build the stadium had pulled out a while ago and have no funding for the actual stadium.

Looks like WMG are doing this to try and justify/secure funding for the stadium, which will in turn inflate the value of the development they're planning out at Wyndham

Yes, there is a land value capture model in play. More assets of value (notable professional sporting franchises) and associated infrastructure helps inflate land value and can politically be used to add towards a push for government funded infrastructure projects such as roads and train stations (which ultimately further inflates land value). I'm curious who on the WMG board/advisors is providing the experience and expertise in executing on a project/development of this nature.

It's interesting reading everyone postulating a lot of things on so little factual knowledge.

Personally I'm sad if the Rebels dissolve in this manner, but as it stands this solution does not strike me as particularly compelling based on the limited details that have leaked so far, though this still has a ways to go yet.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
The optics side of swimming in the same pond as the A-League is likely something RA wants to avoid, even though it may be the reality of where Super Rugby sits.

Not disputing anything you say about synergies, but rugby still wants to play with the other Tier 1 sports in Australia (NRL & AFL).
PhilClinton RA hasn't been a Tier 1 sport for the best part of a decade.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Not mutually exclusive.
Absolutely they are not mutually exclusive, in fact they are inherently linked as is the financial viability of all Super Rugby teams. The problem that RA has though is that it appears that they think reducing the number of teams will simply mean that each teams share of the revenue pot will increase. However, this is only the case should shrinking not also negatively impact revenues. If you remove the second largest and potentially largest viewing market from Super Rugby that will trigger action by the broadcaster. Now, people will argue that the Melbourne and Victorian public aren't watching so it will hardly impact viewing figures and I can tell you that won't matter to the broadcaster. As someone who has spent 30 plus in corporate Australia you are always on the look out for any lever to pull to lower costs even over increasing revenues and this would be one hell of a lever. You can bet your bottom dollar that the broadcaster's lawyers are already preparing an action for this very eventuality.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
PhilClinton RA hasn't been a Tier 1 sport for the best part of a decade.
Isn't that one of the biggest issues facing RA, that they think they are still a tier 1 sport.
At least the A league understands it's position in the sporting landscape and that they are not competing with AFL and NRL as that fight is already lost. Now they are targeting Rugby and basketball etc.. as that is the market they can compete with for the hearts and minds of the public. RA needs to take a similar stance or position itself as everyone's second sport. The mantra for RA needs to be "live within our means" and not "spend big to win big."