1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2018

Discussion in 'National Rugby Championship (NRC)' started by Scooter, Jul 4, 2018.

1. amirite Chilla Wilson (44)

Really? Not even a squad spot outside of the 23?

I'm sure another team will pick him up, but you're right that this isn't right.

The Rising has been a cluster fuck this year, just pretty low on the to-do list.
  2. elementfreak Trevor Allan (34)

Squad named:
    [IMG]
  3. Mr Wobbly Nicholas Shehadie (39)

^ Should be able to put out a decent side from among that lot.

Missing: Tetera Faulkner, Sama Mololo, Hunter Paisami, Semisi Tupou - others?
  4. Rebels3 Peter Fenwicke (45)

Think no Paisami indicates his time at the Rebels is up, Fa'amausili from all reports wasn't the man to strike the other man so rightfully gets to continue his career with the club.

Tupou is very strange, i wonder if this is an indication he will be playing elsewhere next season? (7s, Tahs, etc)

Faulkner again very very strange, he's clearly down the pecking order at the Wallabies so would need games to keep fitness, again i wonder if he would be moving on??? i'd doubt it tho as there hasn't been any signings and he wanted to return to Melb last year for family etc.

Now i want the best team available at all times to play, with a sprinkling of young guys who genuinely can overtake their counterparts next season eg. Goddard/Tuipulotu etc. lets turn this competition into something serious.

1 Sa'aga
    2 Rangi
    3 Ainsley/Erasmus
    4 Hosea/Haangana
    5 Philip (vc)
    6 Cottrell
    7 Hardwick
    8 Naisarani
    9 Ruru/Goddard
    10 ???????
    11 Naivalu
    12 Meakes
    13 Tuipulotu
    14 Ratu
    15 English (c)
  5. Getwithme Cyril Towers (30)

Tupou could just be a case of a big 18 months and just giving him a break
  6. Rebels3 Peter Fenwicke (45)

It's all a little strange the NRC squads etc. Players should be playing, minus our wallabies Aus rugby players by in large play less rugby than any other nation going around and it probably shows in our street smarts and game management. Even our school kids play far too little rugby.

If a player is injured fair enough, otherwise they should be turning up to the NRC comp and all squads should be the best version of themselves. Otherwise our youngsters aren't exposed against the best, aren't training to a level they could, no combinations for the next super season are building and players aren't gaining experience.

The Rising should be the Rebels minus the regular wallabies + a sprinkling of the best local and young players. Big Sam and Sa'aga should be going against the Smith brothers and becoming better players, our 5/8s should be learning to find space against Clark, Newsome, Petaia, etc. hookers looking to throw in against super rugby second rowers etc. Plus as much as i love the NRC, it would just make a better product.
    Rugbynutter39 and Brumby Runner like this.
  7. Mr Wobbly Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Kevinsons likes this.
  8. kiap Mark Ella (57)

Kevinsons likes this.
  9. oztimmay John Hipwell (52)

I wonder if this year they will finally sell Rising kit to the public?
    Kevinsons likes this.
  10. Mr Wobbly Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Big risk buying it. Only three home games and likely to have a completely different look again next year. (I still like the original kit, with the salmon colour)
  11. oztimmay John Hipwell (52)

I still have the original pink/blue Beanie, complete with pom pom. Proudly worn at training and matchday :)
    kiap and Mr Wobbly like this.
  12. lou75 Ron Walden (29)

Our three home games are Adelaide, Geelong and Ballarat - don't think too many Rising supporters will be travelling on that road trip - so much for local community engagement
    Rebel man likes this.
  13. Mr Wobbly Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I'll probably go to Ballarat, maybe Geelong.
    kiap and RugbyReg like this.
  14. swingpass Jim Lenehan (48)

almost. original ARC Rebels version. The VRU original was a thinner stripe. That strip was an alternative to the all blue one, and the one worn by the "Hornets"
    kiap likes this.
  15. swingpass Jim Lenehan (48)

16. Mr Wobbly Nicholas Shehadie (39)

swingpass likes this.
  17. swingpass Jim Lenehan (48)

yeah i didn't realise how grubby it was until i found it. it is after all, a very old jumper, 1973 or 74 if i recall. also the shade from the windows makes it look worse.
  18. kiap Mark Ella (57)

Give it a rough dose of digital peroxide:

jersey.jpg
  19. lou75 Ron Walden (29)

ahhh shit 40 - 17 to Fiji Drua
    Think I 'll have some Kava myself now
  20. The Honey Badger Peter Johnson (47)

Bit of a slow thread this one.

Are there actually any Rugby supporters in Melbourne?

Do they even know they have a half decent side?