• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising V Perth Spirit, 11 September @ AAMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Well, who thought the Rising would be three from three at this point?

After a very dominant display against Brisbane City the rising play host to the Perth Spriit. The Spirit are one from three this season and would be looking for the win against a home team riding high on confidence. Without fear of complacency, I would expect the Rising will rotate some players given the tight turnaround from Saturday's match. Then again, we don'y want to break a winning formula.

Also for local fans its a buy one, get one free deal on Thursday night. The Rebels Media people are encouraging us to wear as much pink as possible, because nothing screams Rugby like a stadium full of people wearing pink. Just ask this guy:

pink rugby jesery.jpg

Perhaps not.

And finally I get to attend my FIRST EVER Rising match. I've almost managed to con Mrs OzT into attending, probably because of the pink factor. all in all, will be a good evening out. For those who can't make it, FoxSports will be televising this.

Can we also create a movement to ask Steve Walsh to ref this and make sure his microphone is connected to the ground PA? He's even doing his best to support the local team in his pink outfit:

steve walsh.jpg

Rising by 10.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Steve Walsh's effort on Saturday was a revelation. I'd happily listen to the match through his mic over the biased dribble the Fox Sports team put out.

Thursday should be a cracker. Family Tex will be in attendance, or at least the three males in the group. Bring it on.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Going with a group of five mates, all keen to see a massacre.

The Rising are the best thing to happen to rugby in this state. It's like Super Rugby but without the away fans and the inevitable disappointment.

Reactions: Tex

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Force will probably roll out the A team again. This might not be as big a walk in the park as last week for you guys. I guess it depends on who we have in our backrow.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For all the shit you guys are copping about thrashing people, I say fucking GO FOR IT!

Helps grow the game in Mexico and provides rugby a good position Thursday night - especially given the location.

Hope to see a great crowd with a bit of bloody NOISE.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Might lose both wingers, and It'd be interesting to see who we'd bring in.

Forwards probably wont be too difficult. one or two bench changes, maybe someone gets a spell, nothing too fancy.

Could potentially see something like:

9. little red
10. Big D
11. Sefa
12. Chunky
13. Daz's man Crush
14. JK
15. Jonah

21. Burgo
22. Naufahu
23. RLM

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am still tormented by another Melbourne team that had a good start to the season then played Perth and got totally taken off the park.

Different comp, different team and different ground I know but still I don't think we should get cocky with this one. The Spirit have underperformed so far and last week Brisbane did not turn up.

Probably catch this one on foxtel. But I expect it to be the best match up for us yet. Spirit forward

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Telusa Veainu the only injury doubt with a pelvic strain. No other injuries to report.

Tom might be on Wallaby duty (which is excellent), but I think Betham is probabyl ahead of him at the moment.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I hope that Perth send their A team to Melbourne this week. It would be rather cruel to pit those B players up against Rising and bad for TV viewing too.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Melbourne Rising:

1. Toby Smith (Melbourne Uni/Melbourne Rebels)
2. Pat Leafa (Box Hill/Melbourne Rebels) (Vice Captain)
3. Paul Alo-Emile (Power House/Melbourne Rebels)
4. Sam Jeffries (Melbourne Uni/Melbourne Rebels)
5. Cadeyrn Neville (Foostcray/Melbourne Rebels)
6. Luke Jones (Moorabbin/Melbourne Rebels)
7. Sean McMahon (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels)
8. Lopeti Timani (Footscray/Melbourne Rebels)
9. Nic Stirzaker (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels) (Captain)
10. Jack Debreczeni (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels)
11. Joe Kamana (Moorabbin)
12. Mitch Inman (Southern Districts/Melbourne Rebels) (Vice Captain)
13. Sefanaia Naivalu (Box Hill)
14. Telusa Veainu (Melbourne/Melbourne Rebels)
15. Jonah Placid (Melbourne Rebels)
16. Tom Sexton (Power House/Melbourne Rebels)
17. Tuiatua Tuia (Moorabbin)
18. Cruze Ah-Nau (Footscray/Melbourne Rebels)
19. Pom Simona (Harlequin) (Vice Captain)
20. Sione Taufa (Harlequin)
21. Luke Burgess (Melbourne/Melbourne Rebels)
22. Lloyd Johansson (Harlequin)
23. Tom English (Melbourne Uni/Melbourne Rebels)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
No change to the 23. Interesting.

Ummmm..
  • Joe Kamana starts, Engo on the Pine. I get this as Tom was with the Wallabies squad this week and he's probably due for a rest.
  • Pat and Tom swap
Though they may have started Gus or one of the Quins flankers and given the engine room some respite.

T

Train Without a Station

Would be good it they gave Gus a game off the bench considering they have just been carrying 2 loosies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
My intention was to say the only changes were within the 23, rather than outside, which struck me as odd, given the short break.

In retrospect, I didn't convey that well.

D

daz

Could potentially see something like:

9. little red
10. Big D
11. Sefa
12. Chunky
13. Daz's man Crush
14. JK
15. Jonah

I'm really struggling to think of anything I have said or done to create such a perception.

Luckily, Mrs daz is ok with this. She gets 2 kisses after every home game from the big unit. I just get a man-hug. I've asked her if we could swap, but apparently that is "crossing a line".

Oh well.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
My intention was to say the only changes were within the 23, rather than outside, which struck me as odd, given the short break.

In retrospect, I didn't convey that well.

Meh, no bother. If it makes you feel any better I didn't lose any sleep over it :)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm really struggling to think of anything I have said or done to create such a perception.

Luckily, Mrs daz is ok with this. She gets 2 kisses after every home game from the big unit. I just get a man-hug. I've asked her if we could swap, but apparently that is "crossing a line".

Oh well.

You need help.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Being wrong or misinterpreted on the internet is an eternal frustration.

Anyway, can't get to this one, Uni bitch week. :mad:

Nice that it's on the Fox though.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Week 7, so a buttload of assignments and mid semester tests in.

Bitch week is what I call it. No one else does. :p

Group assignments make it even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.