• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fair enough, well there's plenty of clubs down here to hook up with, even when you're not playing.

Make sure you get on board the Rebel Army as well, we'll make you feel right at home. facebook.com/rebelarmy or twitter.com/rebel_army.

Good sales pitch? :p

Ha. Ill support the rebels except when playing the Saders and to a lesser extent the Chiefs. :D

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
AFL is a good game to go watch live, but I only see it a sa novelty value, when there is nothing else to do and you have an arvo/night to kill.

Best watched live with someone who will know what the fuck is going on.

TV isn't a good reflection of what is happening in an AFL game as there is a lot of activity away from the ball.

You reckon the rugby season is long, try sitting through a game of AFL.

I used to think that, but I appreciate the athleticism and skill of the players. Now I enjoy going out to watch the Swans at the SCG. However, I wouldn't watch much of the AFL if the Swans aren't involved. To paraphrase Cookie Monster, "AFL is a sometime sport".

Certainly, I would watch a Super Rugby or Wallabies match over a Swans game if they are on at the same time.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
probably better off in a book forum but I couldn't find one. Currently reading a book "Stan Bisset: Kokoda Wallaby"

http://www.cqnews.com.au/story/2011/11/19/review-stan-bisset-kokoda-wallaby/

I've posted it here because it has an interesting chapter on rugby in Victoria in the 1930s. Teams including St Kilda, Geelong and Power House amongst others playing each other. Rugby was second to Australian Rules in popularity but had a decent following. After the war the game virtually disappeared. Its only a short section in the book but may be of interest for those who have an interest in "Melbourne Rugger".

So far the books quite good.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
probably better off in a book forum but I couldn't find one. Currently reading a book "Stan Bisset: Kokoda Wallaby"

http://www.cqnews.com.au/story/2011/11/19/review-stan-bisset-kokoda-wallaby/

I've posted it here because it has an interesting chapter on rugby in Victoria in the 1930s. Teams including St Kilda, Geelong and Power House amongst others playing each other. Rugby was second to Australian Rules in popularity but had a decent following. After the war the game virtually disappeared. Its only a short section in the book but may be of interest for those who have an interest in "Melbourne Rugger".

So far the books quite good.
We've got a book thread here, not sure if you want me to move the post though.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The issue isn't in the stands with the support, it's purely on field.

I was just taking the piss m8. I was in Melbs for a week last year and I went the Rebels home vs Canes match. Great match, Great atmosphere, lots of tries.
I was suprised how much support turned out for a new franchise.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
more turn coats........ geez tbh we'll accept anyone in that we need as many rugby people in this town as possible

stu as always with his ever welcoming attitude in the face of evil

A

Army_Gav

I was just taking the piss m8. I was in Melbs for a week last year and I went the Rebels home vs Canes match. Great match, Great atmosphere, lots of tries.
I was suprised how much support turned out for a new franchise.
Must be that Cantabrian sense of humour ;)

more turn coats........ geez tbh we'll accept anyone in that we need as many rugby people in this town as possible

stu as always with his every welcoming attitude in the face of evil
Plenty of LOL from Terrace as always.

For the record, I have no issue with people supporting two teams, just pick one as your primary/secondary, none of this switching stuff.

eg. You'd identify yourself as a Crusaders supporter.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Must be that Cantabrian sense of humour ;)

Plenty of LOL from Terrace as always.

For the record, I have no issue with people supporting two teams, just pick one as your primary/secondary, none of this switching stuff.

Fair enough. Saders primary, Rebels secondary.

A

Army_Gav

Btw. Love how a discussion about Rugger in Victoria has gone into Aussie Rules.

Since you've been here before, your obviously aware that anything other than Aussie Rules gets next to stuff all attention, well unless there's some controversy.

If you have to read the print media, The Australia & The Age are your sources. Avoid the Murdoch mouthpiece, called the Herald Sun (who ironically sponsor the Rebels).

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Btw. Love how a discussion about Rugger in Victoria has gone into Aussie Rules.

Since you've been here before, your obviously aware that anything other than Aussie Rules gets next to stuff all attention, well unless there's some controversy.

If you have to read the print media, The Australia & The Age are your sources. Avoid the Murdoch mouthpiece, called the Herald Sun (who ironically sponsor the Rebels).

Yes I have already noticed how 'Tabliodesqe' the Herald Sun is.
Btw possibly a dumb question but why are they the 'Melbourne Rebels' Rather than the 'Victoria Rebels' by state like the other Oz Teams

A

Army_Gav

Btw possibly a dumb question but why are they the 'Melbourne Rebels' Rather than the 'Victoria Rebels' by state like the other Oz Teams
Good question.

We approached Mitchell & co. back in 2009 regarding this.

It'd be Victorian Rebels too. It's purely marketing. The team does represent Victoria.

Strangely, we do have an arrangement with SARU (South Australia) to provide an academy pathway to players there. Much like the Brumbies, with ACT & Southern NSW.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
in anticipation of when NSW and QLD eventually get new Super Rugby teams and state divisions go balls up. i don't really see how that should affect us though. The likelihood of Vic getting a 2nd Super Rugby team is about the same as an AFL team in New Zealand

A

Army_Gav

in anticipation of when NSW and QLD eventually get new Super Rugby teams and state divisions go balls up. i don't really see how that should affect us though. The likelihood of Vic getting a 2nd Super Rugby team is about the same as an AFL team in New Zealand
Western Sydney!

We keep hearing how it's this big untapped Rugby/League/Football/Aussie Rules area, yet no takes it seriously.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Imagine that, Super 17....throw in an Argie team ot two. Super 19.....thats a massive year of rugger.....

Status
Not open for further replies.