• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Memo to JON and your "event manager"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Whoever picks the anthem singers needs to be shot.

This isn't hard, you don't go to some Australian Idol singer or some transvestite to butcher the anthems.

You go to the local opera company and you get a couple of tenors or bass baritones, a simple backing tape with no embellishments and tell the singers to throw their heart and soul into it.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
And have it sung at normal speed! Did anyone else think the Aussie anthem was played and sung at warp speed? And the chap doing the NZ anthem seemed to have trouble with the Maori verses but got into it during the English verses even though he appeared to have a fair few Pacific genes.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The ARU would have to be happy with the entertainment value they got out of the game. The attendance was around 52,000 wasn't it? You'd have to say they got their moneys worth; plenty of free flowing rugby, tries, controversy and the Wallabies were competitive for some parts of the game.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Whoever picks the anthem singers needs to be shot.

This isn't hard, you don't go to some Australian Idol singer or some transvestite to butcher the anthems.

You go to the local opera company and you get a couple of tenors or bass baritones, a simple backing tape with no embellishments and tell the singers to throw their heart and soul into it.

Better than that debacle a few years back in Dunedin when the kiwis recruited "Scandal'us" (The Popstars group) to sing our Anthem. Now that was embarrassing. Still not sure if the Kiwis were deliberately taking the piss or just stuffed up with that mob.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Spot on fatprop - like the great Robert Merrill used to do at Yankee Stadium every season.

As a young 'un, I recall the entire crowd at Cardiff Arms Park singing the anthem in unison to a Military brass band in the middle.

Even in the days of dodgy sattelite feeds, mono sound and black and white (yes that long ago), the hairs stood up on the back of my neck when the Welsh sung.

Why can't we all remember the words to AAF (we all learn it at school FFS) and do likewise. What better way for 50 000 Aussies to show their pride and passion for the Men in Gold?

P.S. according to the Minister of Defence, the Army is broke, so the ARU should pay for the Army band to be there to keep us in tune.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
[video=youtube;e8CjrhPvAtg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8CjrhPvAtg[/video]

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Why can't we all remember the words to AAF (we all learn it at school FFS) and do likewise. What better way for 50 000 Aussies to show their pride and passion for the Men in Gold?
You know that's a pretty bloody good idea, let the kiwi's have their song and do their little dance then get the whole bloody stadium singing. It's important that we have the last say before kickoff at home games, anything else gives those black fuckers momentum.

Crowd would need some encouragement, perhaps no lead singer, but a tenor in each bay to encourage participation. Big arse brass band would be awesome, or just pump up the impressive sound system in ANZ stadium. If they have to we could stick the words on the big screen..

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
You rotten shit Moses.

Here we are attempting to deal with last nights activities and you post that little gem of a video clip.

Quoting the Immortal Murray Mexted at the 1:29 mark "Well that was a delightful rendition of the Australian National Anthem...."

Did you check out the look on JON'd dial at the end of the tape as well? 'ken priceless.

PS.
I am not too proud to admit that I got my almost famous "PopStar" bands wrong. I did mean Bardot not Scandal'us.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
The Kiwis must have been taking the piss with that Group.

Can not believe that any sane musical event coordinator wouldn't have sacked them on the spot at the sound check, and called in the Plan B, The Speights Brewery Choir. A bunch of 1/2 pissed Dunedin Uni Students would have done gooder.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Haha Moses nice post. Those girls could not sing whatsoever, each on off key by some way.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Forget the Anthems. JON an his event manager should of been more concerned with the playing surface provided. They new this ground had issues well before the event. In reality, the employer provided the employee unsafe working conditions. In any other industry this would not be tolerated. Congratulations to the players and coaches for the just get on with the job attitude they showed. The higher managment of the ARU should be ashamed.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
You know that's a pretty bloody good idea, let the kiwi's have their song and do their little dance then get the whole bloody stadium singing. It's important that we have the last say before kickoff at home games, anything else gives those black fuckers momentum.

That's exactly what caused the kiwis to sook and do their haka in the change sheds in Wales. The Welsh wanted to do the anthems after the haka and the kiwis spat the dummy. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with not seeing the haka, but I think the Welsh team got reamed onfield for their disrispuct as well. Not that we'd be able to pick the difference between a normal AB reaming and a retaliatory reaming.

Personally I think we should stick to the basics with home anthems. Have a warbly soprano sing their anthem and a three-balled bass sing ours.

T

TOCC

Forget the Anthems. JON an his event manager should of been more concerned with the playing surface provided. They new this ground had issues well before the event. In reality, the employer provided the employee unsafe working conditions. In any other industry this would not be tolerated. Congratulations to the players and coaches for the just get on with the job attitude they showed. The higher managment of the ARU should be ashamed.
The ground was deemed safe, having players sprint towards each other with the intent of manhandling each other would be deemed unsafe work practise in most industries, it comes with the territory of been a professional sportsmen..... It was completely unfeasible to change the ground location

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's exactly what caused the kiwis to sook and do their haka in the change sheds in Wales. The Welsh wanted to do the anthems after the haka and the kiwis spat the dummy. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with not seeing the haka, but I think the Welsh team got reamed onfield for their disrispuct as well. Not that we'd be able to pick the difference between a normal AB reaming and a retaliatory reaming.

Personally I think we should stick to the basics with home anthems. Have a warbly soprano sing their anthem and a three-balled bass sing ours.

Happy if they stick with the guy they got off the door at some dodgy nightclub last night for the Kiwi one! Or just a tranny, as I posted on the live call!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

This was such a beat up, some people here are old enough to remember test matches at the SCG when the whole middle of the field was sticky bulli mud up to their ankles.

It is a rugby field, wear longer studs (get the 20mms out) and f#cking adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.