• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Michael Cheika

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
They had about 230 days(?) in camp and a culture of drilling structures
True but doesn't change the fact that very few of the Japanese players, as individuals, would make the Wallabies starting side and they are over achieving relative to their player quality. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain this over the next few years though.

I probably should have included some more examples of a good/great coach making a team better, like Lorenzo did.

*snip* In the last decade we've seen five 'big 10' teams improve their winning percentages by at least 10 percentage points from one HC to the next. England, South Africa, France, Wales and Ireland are all doing a LOT better than they were under their previous head coach. There is obviously japan, too. *snip*

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think it's an unreasonable expectation that a head coach who wants that job would resign with two years left on their contract.

Why would he resign two years ago anyway? the Wallabies came within a botched restart of bringing back the bledisloe cup in 2017.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why would he resign two years ago anyway? the Wallabies came within a botched restart of bringing back the bledisloe cup in 2017.

If we'd won the second test though, I don't think you could assume the third test would have played out exactly the same. We would only have been a botched restart away from winning the Bledisloe if it was 1-all and this happened in the third test.

Would that make the difference as we look back on his achievements?

If he'd won a Bledisloe Cup it would have made a huge difference to his legacy. I don't think it would have changed the fact that his tenure was over after the 2019 RWC though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
True but doesn't change the fact that very few of the Japanese players, as individuals, would make the Wallabies starting side and they are over achieving relative to their player quality. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain this over the next few years though.

I probably should have included some more examples of a good/great coach making a team better, like Lorenzo did.
I would take Matsushima over Beale, Fukuoka over Hodge, Mafi over Naisarani and all of their halves, just as a start.

Think you are doing the team a disservice saying they overachieved. Many of them are genuine talents.

Edit: on reflection it's really only the tight five that wouldn't make the Wallabies, and even then the super saiyan guy would be in with a shout.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I would take Matsushima over Beale, Fukuoka over Hodge, Mafi over Naisarani and all of their halves, just as a start.

Think you are doing the team a disservice saying they overachieved. Many of them are genuine talents.

Edit: on reflection it's really only the tight five that wouldn't make the Wallabies, and even then the super saiyan guy would be in with a shout.

I'd be inclined to take Horie over any of our hookers too; at least on World Cup form.

Nakajima would push Slipper for a bench spot too, I don't think there was a better impact forward in the group stages.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd also be interested in Super Rugby success overlaid against Wallaby success. Be interesting to see if there is any correlation. It'd be further interesting to see if Junior Wallaby results correlates with future wallaby results at all.
Australian Super Rugby teams win % for 4 years leading up to RWC against non Australian teams (excluding Sunwolves), in season only.

1999 - 58%
2003 - 62%
2007 - 48%
2011 - 51%
2015 - 43%
2019 - 27%

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'm not a Cheika apologist, in fact I firmly believe he is a three year coach. He can improve motivation and culture, fitness, and have some success with a particular game plan if he has the right cattle, but that's about it.
However, the figures presented by Jagman suggest he didn't have a lot to work with!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
On the discussion re the Japanese team, if you are being genuine I think Mafi is the only forward you'd take, but Petaia and Koroibeite, possibly Kerevi, would be the only Aus backs to get a start.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mafi wasn't even the starter. I thought Himeno was super impressive in that starting number 8 role. Combined good ball running with an offloading game which would put him ahead of Naisarani in terms of RWC showing.

Koroibete was the Wallabies best back but it's hard to go past Matsushima and Fukuoka for their RWC performances so you'd have to favour them in that argument.

Both Japanese centres were really good.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
BH, I think Koroibete on the end of that Japanese backline would look better than both of them. For mine, Petaia's defence would land him a spot.
I agree re Himeno's all round skill, but if we look at the role you would want an 8 to play in that pack, it's the big hard ball runner, and that's where Mafi comes in.
All of which is pointless speculation, but a bit of fun anyway.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
BH, I think Koroibete on the end of that Japanese backline would look better than both of them. For mine, Petaia's defence would land him a spot.
I agree re Himeno's all round skill, but if we look at the role you would want an 8 to play in that pack, it's the big hard ball runner, and that's where Mafi comes in.
All of which is pointless speculation, but a bit of fun anyway.
We'll we wont have any rugby to discuss for quite some time so may as well have some fun.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm not a Cheika apologist, in fact I firmly believe he is a three year coach. He can improve motivation and culture, fitness, and have some success with a particular game plan if he has the right cattle, but that's about it.
However, the figures presented by Jagman suggest he didn't have a lot to work with!

The lights are coming on

Coaches get too much credit and too much blame

This generation of players have been poor

Over rewarded and protected. They seem to have neglected that the implication of being a professional is delivering a show for paying spectators and doing so in a manner that invites loyal support and return customers. In short , winning.

May be that they are the first to have been born into a wholly professional game. Most have gone from school to
Pro systems. All have been “managed” for their whole career.

Lets hope the next crew up have seen the gap and do something about it

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The lights are coming on

Coaches get too much credit and too much blame

This generation of players have been poor

Over rewarded and protected. They seem to have neglected that the implication of being a professional is delivering a show for paying spectators and doing so in a manner that invites loyal support and return customers. In short , winning.

May be that they are the first to have been born into a wholly professional game. Most have gone from school to
Pro systems. All have been “managed” for their whole career.

Lets hope the next crew up have seen the gap and do something about it

Bizarre remarks. Want to talk about prioritizing winning? How about Cheik literally saying in his final presser that he would actually prefer to lose than to play a more defensive gameplan?

How can anyone even begin to defend that? This guy was so pigheaded that he wouldn't even consider modifying his approach EVEN IF DOING SO WOULD IMPROVE OUR CHANCES OF WINNING.

Am I the only one that sees him as endlessly selfish? That sees all the comments about his passion to he a bit stomach churning, in light of his extreme abstinence even in the face of constant failure?

Also, you're saying the players aren't motivated....didnt we supposedly hire the master motivator? If the players weren't suitably focused on delivering, what was the master motivator doing for the last 5years?

My take is that a decent number of wallabies had the best parts of their career pinched from them, at least as far as winning trophies goes, by someone on a personal crusade to prove he was smarter than everyone else. I actually feel for the wallabies that won't get another shot.