• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Michael Cheika

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Our head coaching stocks look pretty good really I think McKenzie should & will be the national coach at the end of the season & if things go well he will probably be in charge until 2019.

But if Cheika can continue to keeps the TAHS running well I'd like to see him one day coach the Wallabies.

At half time I thought he must have subbed Barnes on for Foley & then couldn't believe he had replaced Horne as he was probably one of the Tahs best in the 1st half.
But what a smart substitution it was to put the Brumbies on their heels in defence as Cheika knew they wouldn't rush Barnes in defence which created more time & space for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Folau.

When Barnes cuts out all the grubber & chip kick nonsense he is a very dangerous player ball in hand.

I must admit the Tahs have been one of the better teams to watch this season.

T

Train Without a Station

Link and White both had great first seasons in charge and only missed finals by one last season lost each. Let's discuss Cheika at the end of next season when we see what he has done in more than half a season.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Barnes came on because Horne was injured - he got a poke in the eye in the first half and had trouble with his vision

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Cheika said he replaced Horne with Barnes because he wanted 2 playmakers on the field to get around the Brumbies rushing defence.

Horne having been poked in the eye only contributed a part in his replacement,

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah I only went on what Cheika said at the end of the game & that was to stop the Brumbies rush defence, maybe the Reds could take a leaf out of Cheika's book & play Lance at 12.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
When Barnes cuts out all the grubber & chip kick nonsense he is a very dangerous player ball in hand.

Agree with this 100%. One of the reasons I am optomistic that the Wallabies back line will play more positively this year is the effect of Cheika on both Barnes & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). At their best, both are very fine attacking players.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Haha that'll do me.
Why take the actual crux of his point out when quoting? It was more about where to play Lance, than Cheika teaching Ewen McKenzie to suck eggs, although the concept that McKenzie can't or shouldn't learn anything from another coach is odd. Well, that's how it seemed to me.

T

Train Without a Station

Including this season, the Reds have finished ahead of the Waratahs every season and in addition being known for having a great backline. During this time both Anthony Fainga'a and Ben Tapuai have started 99% of games at 12. Neither have appeared to hinder the attack. Furthermore, the Reds have in fact had the most "electric" backline when Anthony Fainga'a, a player considered by many to be an inferior attacking option that Pat McCabe, was playing 12. I believe in 2010 we had the backline of:

9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Digby
12. Anthony Fainga'a
13. Will Chambers
14. Rod Davies
15. Peter Hynes

In addition it approved to be successful in a winning team that finished 5th. That backline was further tweaked to:

9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Digby
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Rod Davies
15. Ben Lucas

This proved to be a successful backline in a Championship team. What Link is doing seems to be working reasonably well. If the second playmaker options proves to be more than just a good half of football for the Waratahs, perhaps there may be merit to it.

T

Train Without a Station

Apologies. That should be "of the last 3" (2011, 2012 & 2013).

I've run out of fingers to count up how far back it was prior to that...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We have some good intellectual property in our coaching stocks at the moment. People with a vision and some bloody good assistants benieth them. Then we have the national coach that seems to have run out of ideas but seems too pig headed to embrace what is being done in the franchises.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm sure there's a really good joke about QLDers here , but I'm gonna let it bounce into touch.

Haha well I thought I'd show some humility and give you Mexicans a bit of ammo.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
We have some good intellectual property in our coaching stocks at the moment. People with a vision and some bloody good assistants beneath them.

And yet blokes like Todd Louden and Phil Blake, both of whom have proved to be capable Super coaches, can't get a gig with Australian sides. We can't afford to not utilise coaches like these; they'd make a bloody good coaching team at the Rebels next year.

Haha well I thought I'd show some humility and give you Mexicans a bit of ammo.

Hey, you leave those Victorians alone! :mad:

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Cheika did the business at Leinster and overhauled the culture at that underachieving province and won the Heineken Cup with them. Next year, we'll see the effects he has had on NSW when he recruits and picks his own squad. He is exactly what the Waratahs have needed; they are now playing attractive, winning rugby and the crowds will return in due course.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
From early on you could see the difference he was making to the Tahs despite the losses. He was willing to make the big calls like dropping Turner and Mitchell. And then promoting Betham and Crawford ahead of Kingston. I do hope he keeps the Tahs playing this attacking brand of footy as they have the ability to go places with it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.