• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Michael Cheika

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agreed.

Michael is a pretty effective coach and I have been very pleased to see his results so far (albeit for the wrong team).

He is much better than Deans.

( :p )

Lets all remember Deans was a wildly successful Super rugby coach before we start trumpeting it as reasoning behind promoting McKenzie or Cheika.

I'm not saying they're not good coaches, I'm just saying it's a qualitative not quantitive thing.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Deans inherited a strong team.

So did Cheikia. They got good results year after year despite playing dour uninspired rugby with what I would consider a weak coach (of course 2012 was an outlier).

There's a reason they get a shitload of people in the Wallabies, on paper they're a conference topping team almost every year.

T

Train Without a Station

Deans inherited a strong team.

I actually have been lead to believe that this is not the case in fact. Crusaders started from a low base as Super Rugby level did they not? He did inherit a strong region however.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I actually have been lead to believe that this is not the case in fact. Crusaders started from a low base as Super Rugby level did they not? He did inherit a strong region however.

When he took over their infrastructure was terrific, of course even when he wasn't head coach he was always a prominent member of the structure.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy

What are you on about? Your claim was that the ARU and Nucifora directly interfered with the assistant coach selections for the Wallabies..in case you've forgotten: "Are you aware just how much the ARU has interfered with the appointment of assistants? Or the influence David Nucifora was trying to generate behind the scenes? There are far more factors at play here than just quoting from Management text books would have you believe"

How did you get to Quade Cooper from that?

Fuck the average IQ around here has really gone down.

I promised I wouldn't post OT again, and I won't. If you can't join the dots by this stage, I can't help you. Suffice to say I did not make ANY claims - just aired suppositions much like this nonsense about Deans hating Cooper that some people are taking as fact.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think we should ask Cheika his opinion of Deans and what theories he has to make the last 3 pages relevant to the thread.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I should nuke this thread and ban some fuckers if they can't FUCKING GET AND STAY ON TOPIC.
End of.
If it comes to that, please just ban the fuckers, as the actual thread topic is a very worthwhile one. If only it could get a run.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It is a good topic, which is why it shits me that it has morphed into yet another Deans whinge-fest.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
My apologies, I thought I had made it plain with my emoticon that what I had written was in jest (and to poke fun at what had been occurring).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My apologies, I thought I had made it plain with my emoticon that what I had written was in jest (and to poke fun at what had been occurring).
You were not part of the group to whom I referred.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I think Chieka has a real PR problem. I mean he talks straight, makes sense, shows some emotion, even some passion. Chrissakes. What do media or forum flunkies get to whinge about?? What do the flunkies get to bicker about endlessly repeating their view for??

Selfish bastard, he'll never make it in this industry.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm a Reds fan & I started this post because I like what Cheika is doing with the Tahs. I think he's a hard bastard & he demands a lot from his players but he's also a very smart coach.

Although I don't support the Tahs I do support Australian Rugby & Australian Rugby is better for having Cheika back home. I must admit I do make more of an effort now to sit down & watch the Tahs & honestly I wanted them to beat the Brumbies because they where the only team playing positive rugby.

I'm finding the Brumbies a very defensive almost negative team but of course it's always good to see an Aussie team doing well and I hope they spank the Blues saturday.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think Chieka has a real PR problem. I mean he talks straight, makes sense, shows some emotion, even some passion. Chrissakes. What do media or forum flunkies get to whinge about?? What do the flunkies get to bicker about endlessly repeating their view for??

Selfish bastard, he'll never make it in this industry.

That's why this thread is only 4 pages - and half that was OT ;)

The other thing about Cheika is he's honest almost to a fault. Admitting he was wrong about the decision making against the Stormers in the dying minutes is something you'll rarely hear a coach do.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The other thing about Cheika is he's honest almost to a fault. Admitting he was wrong about the decision making against the Stormers in the dying minutes is something you'll rarely hear a coach do.

Its refreshing to hear a coach admit this though, too often we hear coaches talk in meaningless cliches or blame someone else for their teams performances.

Also good to see that he trusts his captain to make calls on how they see the game, many coaches these days would have drilled into their captain what to do in every possible scenario.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
It was also interesting to hear him say he warned the team that there would be a sharp end to their success with a loss, as that will always happen to an improving team. The true measure of this tram will be the mental fortitude they show next outing (even if the result is a loss)

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
and to prove my admiration in his style, here is his letter to members in full:

Against the Rebels, we didn’t have the same edge that we’ve had in previous weeks. I think we’ve played five high intensity games since the break and we’re not a side that’s been used to doing that consistently. It’s done now and we’ve got to bounce back from an attitude point of view.

We’ve seen where we went wrong and it was at the ruck. We didn’t own the space around the ball enough – that’s all connected to attitude, it’s pretty simple really. We didn’t have good body height and we weren’t aggressive enough and they were able to spoil a number of situations.

We need to be better at the attacking and defensive rucks. We were excellent against the Chiefs and in the games since then, there’s been good intensity but there’s been a bit of dropping off in that area nearly every game. That’s something we’ll look at before the Crusaders game. Where we’re at in our development, these sorts of things are going to happen. You go alright, then maybe not so good, then you hit a run. You feel like you’re going well and you’re getting reward for what you do, then it goes down and you learn from it.

One of the positives is that we’re the least penalised team in the competition. I think in that game we only had seven or eight penalties against us. Sometimes decisions didn’t go our way but you earn that when you’re going forward. We’ve got to make sure we stay disciplined, its fundamental to winning games.

It’s my first game in Christchurch so I don’t know too much about what’s gone before. We’ll just get stuck in, get that intensity and look forward to it like it’s a Grand Final for us. No-one ever seems to go there and win; we're up against a team that has won more Super Rugby titles than anyone else. I don’t think there’s many that give us a chance to win over there, and I don’t think our opposition will consider us as a threat so we’ve got to go over there and announce ourselves.

For all the talk of the table and finals, to us they’re irrelevant - it’s never been about anything except the next game. All that matters is that we’re going to Christchurch wanting to play a really good game, get physical and make sure we create the kind of atmosphere and intensity that we want to create. It’s our first year together and we’ve still got a lot to gain in the tournament, there’s still a long way to go and you never know what is going to happen.

I wanted to have a look at Rob Horne again this week before we decide how to fit things in. He’s been playing well and he didn’t really deserve to miss out last week but we looked at a different shape with Berrick in against the Rebels. I couldn’t say conclusively that that shape delivered – we didn’t win did we? We’ve got a few things that we’re going to try and do this week around our game so we’ll see who’s best at delivering that. They’re a particular team, Canterbury, and there are a few things that we’ll have to do very, very well.

If we can get those things right and bring the right intensity to it, we’re a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.