• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Michael Lynagh's Australia XV (pro era)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Ahem. A bit of creative counting having Sharpie as a Force player when he was initially a Red. Same for Genia, who was certainly a Red when first selected. I would also have counted Foley as a Red, but stand corrected if he was playing for the Tahs when capped.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ahem. A bit of creative counting having Sharpie as a Force player when he was initially a Red. Same for Genia, who was certainly a Red when first selected. I would also have counted Foley as a Red, but stand corrected if he was playing for the Tahs when capped.

You’re a bunch of fun.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
dunno about you but i'd be tempted to go Mat Rogers ahead of Tuqiri. Seem to recall he was a real pest vs the AB's. Maybe even go Wendell Sailor ahead of Tuqiri too.

Vickerman surely over Nathan Sharpe too

I'd also have Chris Latham ahead of Folau at fullback every day and twice on Sunday
Even a classic Wallabies 15 has two fucking sevens haha.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If I had to choose a side based on the two above (with a couple of additions).........

1. Harry
2. Moore
3. Blades
4. Giffin
5. Eales
6. Smith
7. Pocock
8. Kefu
9. Gregan
10. Larkham
11. Roff
12. Horan
13. Mortlock
14. Folau
15. Burke

16. Kearns
17. Noriega
18. Kepu
19. Sharpe
20. Finegan
21. Genia
22. Beale
23. Latham

None of our props really stand out for me, so I've probably gone for the nostalgia of the glory years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
wonder if Lynagh thought oh shit I've named an all-old-codger backline, better shoehorn one current player in or eyebrows will be raised.

vs AB's, my winger's I'd least like to see picked would be:

1 Roff
2 Rogers
3 Wendy
4 Tuqiri
5 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Tune/Rathbone, solid, but strike no fear whatsoever
I'd definitely have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mine would be:

1. Harry
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Eales
5. Sharpe
6. Pocock
7. Smith
8. Kefu
9. Gregan
10. Larkham
11. Roff
12. Horan
13. Mortlock
14. Folau
15. Burke

16. Foley
17. Slipper
18. Blades
19. Vickerman
20. Finegan
21. Genia
22. Beale
23. Latham

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Harry
Kearns
Kepu
Eales
Vickerman
Finegan
Smith
Kefu
Genia
Larkham
Folau
Horan
Mortlock
Latham
Burke

TPN
Blades
Sio
Sharpe
Pocock
Gregan
Beale
Roff

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting to see where people put some of the backs. More importantly, anyone who doesn't have Ben Tune at 14 is wrong. The guy would single handily be able to deal with the most feared player of all time, Jonah.

Surprised to see Sharpe given the nod over Vickerman. Sharpe I feel only turned into a world beater towards the latter stages of his career. I'm fairly sure you could go back on this forum and see the debates we'd have about his lack of running game and how his side of the scrum would get dominated.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tune was a very good player (over a short period), but Roff is first choice outside back for me...........

Burke's all round game edges out Latham, who didn't really hit his straps until his last few seasons...........

And then I'd have to go Folau on the other wing as the best of the rest.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
dunno about you but i'd be tempted to go Mat Rogers ahead of Tuqiri. Seem to recall he was a real pest vs the AB's. Maybe even go Wendell Sailor ahead of Tuqiri too.

Vickerman surely over Nathan Sharpe too

I'd also have Chris Latham ahead of Folau at fullback every day and twice on Sunday

Certainly agree about Latham DP!!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Depressingly the Aus Golden age was solidly well before when I started following rugby. I didn't really start watching till about 2006ish. So half these names are history to me, but I just watched some highlights of Ben Tune and holy fuck did he have wheels. I have no idea how he'd compare today but he looked freakish. Also Gregan had pace to burn and eyes on the back of his head.

The ability of the Wallabies back then to keep the ball alive was sensational. So much more free flowing and dare I say it, All Blacks-esque. Those highlights are very bittersweet.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree as a 13.

I think Mortlock gets in based on his overall contribution and his play across two positions.

Herbert was the best 13 in the world at his prime.
I was always partial to James Holbeck at 13 pity his career was savaged by injury.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Depressingly the Aus Golden age was solidly well before when I started following rugby. I didn't really start watching till about 2006ish. So half these names are history to me, but I just watched some highlights of Ben Tune and holy fuck did he have wheels. I have no idea how he'd compare today but he looked freakish. Also Gregan had pace to burn and eyes on the back of his head.

The ability of the Wallabies back then to keep the ball alive was sensational. So much more free flowing and dare I say it, All Blacks-esque. Those highlights are very bittersweet.
Almost a gift m8. I grew up watching us win regularly enough to be genuinely competitive with just about any team.

So now im rusted on and we are poobums.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Almost a gift m8. I grew up watching us win regularly enough to be genuinely competitive with just about any team.

So now im rusted on and we are poobums.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Begs the question why the fuck am I rusted on

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Kefu jumped like a brick. Without a genuine back row target that line out would get anihilated in the current era.

Status
Not open for further replies.