• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mowen Considering Move To France Over Pay Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
This is a huge problem and it's not just about Mowen. This is a morale issue as well. When izzy the code hopping bandit gets a top up and Mowen who has Been In super rugby for many years and captained his county doesn't we have a massive issue. The ARU needs to show some loyalty and respect to Mowen here and sort this out fast. Very very disappointed with the ARU at the moment. Our players should not have to worry about crap like this. They should be only concerned about their performance week to week. Again very very disappointed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Loyalty has got fark all to do with professional sport.

Professional sport is, primarily, about money. If you are worth the big bucks, you will get paid accordingly.

Folau is worth a lot because of his marketability, and because other codes think he is a valuable product. Mowen has just broken into the Wallabies. Good on him. If he wants to earn more money overseas, that's up to him.

There are not, and should not be, any points of comparison between what Folau gets paid, and what Mowen gets paid. They should both be fairly remunerated for their abilities, their performance, their potential, and, above all, the value they bring to the Wallabies and their respective provinces.

Folau might yet turn out to be a waste of money, although I would suggest that the free publicity that his signing has generated is worth far more than the difference between what he gets paid, and what Mowen gets paid.

Mowen might yet turn out to be a great Wallaby backrower. He is not much more than adequate at the moment, I would assert.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Loyalty has got fark all to do with professional sport.

Professional sport is, primarily, about money. If you are worth the big bucks, you will get paid accordingly.

Folau is worth a lot because of his marketability, and because other codes think he is a valuable product. Mowen has just broken into the Wallabies. Good on him. If he wants to earn more money overseas, that's up to him.

There are not, and should not be, any points of comparison between what Folau gets paid, and what Mowen gets paid. They should both be fairly remunerated for their abilities, their performance, their potential, and, above all, the value they bring to the Wallabies and their respective provinces.

Folau might yet turn out to be a waste of money, although I would suggest that the free publicity that his signing has generated is worth far more than the difference between what he gets paid, and what Mowen gets paid.

Mowen might yet turn out to be a great Wallaby backrower. He is not much more than adequate at the moment, I would assert.
Interesting points however on the field I would rate Mowen higher then izzy of late. Not to mention the bloke is obviously important being the second choice caption at the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting points however on the field I would rate Mowen higher then izzy of late. Not to mention the bloke is obviously important being the second choice caption at the moment.

Maybe you should be focusing on Higginbotham and Pocock who are on ARU top ups but haven't played a test all season.

I agree with Wamberal that comparing player salaries is pretty pointless. There is a clear strategic and financial benefit of having Folau in Australian Rugby.

Mowen is set to play his 9th test of the year this weekend which at $14k a game is $126k.

Personally I would have an ARU contract system whereby Mowen would have a top up next year and Pocock and Higginbotham wouldn't but unfortunately that's the way it currently works.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
They can not have one rule for izzy and another for Mowen. That is absurd. Palu shouldn't get any top up. He shouldn't even be in the wallabies injured or not.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They can not have one rule for izzy and another for Mowen. That is absurd. Palu shouldn't get any top up. He shouldn't even be in the wallabies injured or not.

Re: Palu - why? Because you don't like/rate the guy? That sounds completely reasonable.

It's professional sport. The ARU is trying to maximise their public appeal and success of the team. There will never be the same rule for every contract negotiation.

Every player has a different contract and is paid a different amount to do the same job.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Indeed. We have been going so well at 8 lately. o_O
Seriously, it is not absurd. The ARU has only so much money for top-ups, and they spend it where they see fit, based on multiple factors, not just who internet warriors want picked. Wamberal has outlined this well.
It might not be perfect, but it is what it is.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Indeed. We have been going so well at 8 lately. o_O
Seriously, it is not absurd. The ARU has only so much money for top-ups, and they spend it where they see fit, based on multiple factors, not just who internet warriors want picked. Wamberal has outlined this well.
It might not be perfect, but it is what it is.
Wow. If I was Mowen I would leave. I wouldn't want to be in an organisation that runs like that. When some little buz in makes more money then the captain who has been playing union all these years and captained our super rugby side to the final.

It's no secret I don't rate Palu and haven't for the last 4 years. We are struggling at 8 though. Higgers is missed that's for sure.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Re: Palu - why? Because you don't like/rate the guy? That sounds completely reasonable.

It's professional sport. The ARU is trying to maximise their public appeal and success of the team. There will never be the same rule for every contract negotiation.

Every player has a different contract and is paid a different amount to do the same job.
Palu because he hasn't been In form for years. Probably only played 12 games in the last 3 years including super rugby.

It is an ARU policy. No top ups until 2 years of employment. That's why it's bullshit. That's why it should be the same for every player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wow. If I was Mowen I would leave. I wouldn't want to be in an organisation that runs like that. When some little buz in makes more money then the captain who has been playing union all these years and captained our super rugby side to the final.

That player would also be an idiot to not understand that the lucrative salaries that professional sportsmen are paid come from the public's interest in the sport and that high profile players can have a big impact on that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is interesting, Mowen would be battling for the 6 spot with Palu and Higgers fit, now he is hitting the papers to create pressure for more cash.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Look at it in another way, Mowen has only just cracked it into the Wallabies team. He's played a handful of test matches and now is "demanding" a top up? Whereas the likes of Palu, Higgers and others who have a top up have been playing for the Wallabies for a number of years.

Perhaps Mowen should be more concerned about cementing his spot in the Wallabies when we have a fully fit backrow, otherwise I'm sure Fardy is more than happy to play 6 with Higgers at 8.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Look at it in another way, Mowen has only just cracked it into the Wallabies team. He's played a handful of test matches and now is "demanding" a top up? Whereas the likes of Palu, Higgers and others who have a top up have been playing for the Wallabies for a number of years.

Perhaps Mowen should be more concerned about cementing his spot in the Wallabies when we have a fully fit backrow, otherwise I'm sure Fardy is more than happy to play 6 with Higgers at 8.
I completely agree with this. That's not the problem. The problem is izzy getting a top up. It's double standards. Especially when there is a policy in place. That's why Mowen should be pissed off. I understand the interest izzy brings to the sport and blah blah blah but policy is policy.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Lets face it Mowen is not the number one 8 man in the country and he is not the number one blindside flanker. He is probably behind Genia and Horwill in the leadership pecking order and has not played half a dozen tests yet. If he plays every test he will earn nearly $200000. But fair enough if he's not happy with that I say let him walk.

T

TOCC

Why not?

Players value will vary depending on their skill, longevity in the game, demand, off-field contributions and marketability..

Palu is better then Mowen and naturally earned a top-up over Mowen...you can perform due diligence and perform a medical to assess a sets risk of getting injured, even then that isn't a perfect solution..

Mowen has just broken into the Wallabies and is shaking the cage because he feels he should be earning more, that's all this is.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Why not?

Players value will vary depending on their skill, longevity in the game, demand, off-field contributions and marketability..

Palu is better then Mowen and naturally earned a top-up over Mowen.you can perform due diligence and perform a medical to assess a sets risk of getting injured, even then that isn't a perfect solution..

Mowen has just broken into the Wallabies and is shaking the cage because he feels he should be earning more, that's all this is.
How can anyone say Palu is better then anyone? The guy hasn't played any serious rugby In along time. This is an argument for a different thread. Lol

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Any top up Palu gets should be paid in the ratio of minutes able to be completed: minutes for which selected or, even more fittingly,

Minutes played/minutes could have played

Status
Not open for further replies.