• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mowen Considering Move To France Over Pay Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I didn't think that "analysis" warranted anything more.....
Well then you should do some 'analysis' of your own and watch the game again and use the rewind and slow motion buttons a little. so much cooler than emoticons.

D

daz

Palu's played more Test rugby than Higginbotham this year.

Well, yes. Higgers has been captaining team rehab for the second half of this year.

But my real point is that the very second Higgers is fit, he will be back in a Gold jersey.

One of the handful of Oz rugby players that can make that claim.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well then you should do some 'analysis' of your own and watch the game again and use the rewind and slow motion buttons a little. so much cooler than emoticons.

And in doing all of that there was nothing shown from Genia that he deserves his starting spot back yet...........

Slightly improved from his previous abominations, but not good enough just yet..........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whatever, back to Mowen.........

Having played every test this year as part of the leadership group, and having captained the team to their only win of the RC, I don't think it's a big ask to get a top up...........

Obviously the ARU's contracting system is so absurd that it makes this situation more complicated than it should..........

D

daz

And in doing all of that there was nothing shown from Genia that he deserves his starting spot back yet.....

Slightly improved from his previous abominations, but not good enough just yet....

In all honesty, I just have a gut feeling that Genia is burnt out and jaded. He has been carrying the load for years now and with the volume of pressure cooker rugby he has played, is it any wonder he is dropping below his peak performance.

For guys like Genia, I see huge value in taking a year off to play in France or Japan. Earn a few dollars, different lifestyle, less pressure. Get back to enjoying the game. I have no issue with some of our key players removing themselves for a year immediately after a RWC year.

Come back refreshed in time for the 2015 season.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
He is in no position to bargain hard. If spits dummy like his old boss then seeyalaterbenny

I guess it depends how much he has been offered by the frogs, he can afford to bargain hard if failed negotiations means a 300K pay rise.

D

daz

Taking off the EOYT can also do wonders for a player....

Yep. Perfect time to give the job to White for the entire tour to see how he goes, with a young talent as backup.

People talk about Wallaby games not being the time to develop, but given our current situation I say bollocks to that. Worst case is we drop a few places on the IRB rankings, but have a few more weapons up our sleeve in 2014.

One step back to go two steps forward.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This all comes back to the ridiculous contracting system in Australia IMO..

As far as I am concerned the whole top up system is just a farce. Do away with top ups altogether.

Incentivise selection in a graduated system which progressively pays more the further you go. The ARU can budget quickly and easily and wont end up having massive contract payments to players who are injured and not available, sometimes for extended periods.

Reward actual performance and encourage true competition, instead of rewarding form from 18 months or longer previous to the actual payment.

This gets away from the marketable individuals getting paid huge amounts whilst those players also part of a team don't get nearly the same. Rugby is not an individual sport and individuals rarely win games. The individual if they are that marketable could be free to promote products and services away from the team in any way they want, and thereby capitalise on their individual profile, in addition to what their team produces.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So what happens when 4 or 5 of the stars are told their guaranteed wage is half what they can get O/S,and they all decide they are not prepared to punt that they will play everyTest and therefore get 80% of what they are guaranteed O/S?
There is no easy solution,when the bottom line is top players have to take a pay cut to stay here.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
God this thread is fucked up. It looked like it was about Mowen being undervalued, then it was a bitch about Palu, then sniping at Auelua (isnt he injured), then more crap about halfbacks, and how good Higginbotham's form is at the physio's office!!
Shall I just change the title to "The Forum Septic Tank"??
FFS!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
harrumph.png

Status
Not open for further replies.