• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Brisbane City
· Will Genia
· James Horwill
Great Sydney Rams
· Kurtley Beale
· Ben Alexander
· Rob Horne
· Tatafu Polota-Nau
· Tevita Kuridrani
Melbourne Rising
· Scott Higginbotham
· Luke Jones
North Harbour Rays
· Scott Fardy
· Michael Hooper
· Wycliff Palu
· Pek Cowan
NSW Country Eagles
· Adam Ashley-Cooper
· Sekope Kepu
· Matt To'omua
· Nic White
Queensland Country
· Rob Simmons
· James Slipper
Perth Spirit
· Nathan Charles
· Matt Hodgson
· Ben McCalman
Sydney Stars
· Israel Folau
· Bernard Foley
· Nick Phipps
· Will Skelton
University of Canberra Vikings
· Sam Carter
· Christian Leali’ifano
· Pat McCabe
· Scott Sio

T

Train Without a Station

Few anomalies in there. Why do the Rams get 5 with Kuridrani being one? Considering he has ties to Brisbane and they only have 2 would that not make sense. Ditto for To'omua and NSW Country.

Would think it would make more sense for Sam Carter to be tied to QLD Country, Ben Alexander tied to the Brumbies and the Rams to only have 3 also.

Not exactly huge issues though.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It seems to me, at least, that all the reds were going to be aligned to the Queensland sides, and the Perth, Canberra and Melbourne sides were only ever going to get local Soup players. Rams getting 5 annoys me a little.

Why couldn't Lilo be shipped down to Melbourne, and Kuridrani could stay with the brumbies instead. ;)

T

TOCC

Doesn't mean a whole lot given those players are unlikely/rarely going to ever pull on the jersey.

I understand this is based on the most recent Wallaby test series, but a few notable players excluded like Quade Cooper, Henry Speight, Davis Pocock etc.. Who would at least be worth some value in terms of marketing value.

T

Train Without a Station

I only mention that because they have shifted players around a little. If they kept all the players where they are based I would have had no trouble accepting the Vikings having large contingent as they have a lot of Wallabies and only one NRC team.

What I can't stomach is the Rams having 5, when they are shipping in blokes like Alexander and Kuridrani. I understand that Alexander played for the Rams but considering he played colts in Canberra after leaving Knox, that's his only senior tie to the region.

T

Train Without a Station

TOCC it looks solely based on the Inbound Tour Wallaby Squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apparently if you have more than four Wallabies assigned to your team they take up the spot of a contracted player.

Seems like it isn't an asset for a side to have more Wallabies if they're likely to be part of the squad that don't get released to play NRC games.

It will be interesting to see how many outside the matchday 23 are restricted from playing. Hopefully it's only a couple each week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd hope not.

After the matchday 23 is named I'd hope that he'd have about four extra forwards and backs in total as shadow players in case there is an injury in the warm up and release everyone else after the final opposed session.

T

Train Without a Station

I'd expect based on what we've seen previously He'll take a squad of 25 to the game to allow for any last minute injuries in the backs or forwards.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Few anomalies in there. Why do the Rams get 5 with Kuridrani being one? Considering he has ties to Brisbane and they only have 2 would that not make sense. Ditto for To'omua and NSW Country.

Would think it would make more sense for Sam Carter to be tied to QLD Country, Ben Alexander tied to the Brumbies and the Rams to only have 3 also.

Not exactly huge issues though.

Carter grew up in Quirindi and went to school in Sydney - why is he a QLD'er?
Agree re To'omua.
Hard to make it tribal but I guess they're trying to balance things out.

T

Train Without a Station

I was under the impression he grew up in QLD as I believe it was mentioned his father lived there and he almost played for the Reds. It was only assumed though and just having a look I can only find that he was "born" in Sydney.

TheHam

Allen Oxlade (6)
Considering he has ties to Brisbane and they only have 2 would that not make sense. Ditto for To'omua and NSW Country.

Would think it would make more sense for Sam Carter to be tied to QLD Country.
Possibly also thinking of future seasons. Players would have nominated where they'd potentially play (and often the closer, the better). You'd generally want guys to stick with their NRC team, whether they are in or out of the Wallabies.

As TOCC said, players like Cooper et al., are likely to be in the Wallabies at some stage in the near future. Guys like Gill or JOC (James O'Connor) can fill the promo spots for the QLD teams.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
What I can't stomach is the Rams having 5, when they are shipping in blokes like Alexander and Kuridrani. I understand that Alexander played for the Rams but considering he played colts in Canberra after leaving Knox, that's his only senior tie to the region.

Alexander has played the majority of his career with Eastwood whose players will still mainly end up at the Rams. That is a much bigger tie than playing Colts while at Uni in Canberra. At club rugby level, if allowed, he would pcik Eastwood over a Canberra club.

Status
Not open for further replies.