• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah and Leinster's season kicks off in 2 weeks. They'd really want him over there and I'm sure he wants to get over there asap to sort out things outside rugby.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
It's the ARU contract that keeps him in Australia not the Waratahs. You don't see Alofa sticking around, or Hugh Pyle or Keiran Longbottom for that matter. They make it to the end of the year to reduce the player's value for Europe/Japan and therefore reduce the overseas value of all Wallabies. The same thing happened last year with Timani and he ended up being used because of injuries. Douglas would be before Jones for a game as important as the 3rd bled.

Anyway my point is the Eagles can field a Wallaby lock in Douglas, a Super Rugby lock in Chapman and a quality shute/former force training squad lock in Matwijow. Some teams will struggle to field one contracted lock, even Brisbane City aren't fielding Horwill this week.

The Spirit will have Wykes, Walton and Mafi. Rising will have Jones, Neville and Jeffries. That's why I think these 3 teams will be in the top. Proper second rowers are in very short supply.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All Super Rugby players are contracted by the ARU whether the ARU is actually paying them anything or not.

The whole issue with Douglas was that he didn't have a top up from the ARU. He was only on match payments to my knowledge.

Super Rugby contracts run from about November to November from what I understand.

The ARU has obviously decided that Douglas is somewhere in the pecking order that they want him to stay. If they did release him it would save money though because he would stop being paid by the Waratahs.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I am sorry to be on a downer, but... After 77 pages and a couple of contributions from myself to here, I am finding Really, really REALLY hard to get worked up over the NRC.
It just seems to me to be..... Bland.
I can't go cheer for the Rays or the Rams or the Eagles. They aren't the students, The rats, The Wicks. The tribalism isn't there. I know that it is going to give some young up and comers like Cam Treloar a chance at the big time :) but it is as real as a mcdonalds burger. its there. Its food, but it ain't a burger.
Sorry to be negative and good luck to those that are playing, I will watch on thursday night, but pleased don't expect one iota of my hard earned to be spent on going to any of this.
Again I apologise for my little rant

T

Train Without a Station

Brian, you as a rusted on club man have your views. And they are valid.

But here's the important part. To everybody bar your 30 mates that go watch your Shute Shield team, and the 11 other equivalents, the Shute Shield is a mickey mouse competition full of nobodies they don't care about and not good enough to bother about.

This has concentrated that talent so only those who may make it as professionals are able to get a game. Each team covers larger regions. I doubt people were too attached to the Melbourne Stars and Melbourne Renegades when they kicked off too, but that decided where they fell based on the geographic delineation of those teams and support has begun to grow.

I'd wager that now though, there are more people from the Prahran region that get along and identify with the Melbourne Stars (South East of the City) than those that do with the Prahran Cricket Club.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
BH you'd know better than me but it still doesn't make sense. Doesn't preseason training start in october? Why would they contract Nov to Nov?

In any case it seems that non-Wallabies get released immediately and without any problem. But Wallabies like Douglas, Timani, and Mitchell get held back to reduce their value to the overseas market even though it costs the ARU money. I didn't make this up. Pulver talked about it last year when he was questioned over the possibility of saving money by letting them go.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH you'd know better than me but it still doesn't make sense. Doesn't preseason training start in october? Why would they contract Nov to Nov?

In any case it seems that non-Wallabies get released immediately and without any problem. But Wallabies like Douglas, Timani, and Mitchell get held back to reduce their value to the overseas market even though it costs the ARU money. I didn't make this up. Pulver talked about it last year when he was questioned over the possibility of saving money by letting them go.

It probably is October to October. It's for a full year anyway. It isn't just over the course of the season.

I certainly remember McKenzie saying that they might be needed for the Wallabies. I hadn't heard Pulver say that it reduces their value.

Keeping players in Australia until their contract runs out certainly hasn't stopped foreign clubs signing Wallabies. It seems strange that we'd spend money we don't need to unless there was the genuine thought that they might be needed for the Wallabies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
It probably is October to October. It's for a full year anyway. It isn't just over the course of the season.

I certainly remember McKenzie saying that they might be needed for the Wallabies. I hadn't heard Pulver say that it reduces their value.

Keeping players in Australia until their contract runs out certainly hasn't stopped foreign clubs signing Wallabies. It seems strange that we'd spend money we don't need to unless there was the genuine thought that they might be needed for the Wallabies.

Ok BH found it

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...695108476?nk=b79ed9d93d99272ae60a71fb0441b53d

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's interesting that the only one saying that not releasing players after Super Rugby as it makes Wallabies less attractive on the global market is the journalist, not Pulver.

Seemingly it doesn't make them less attractive options because foreign clubs continue to try and sign our players.

I agree it's a difficult situation and there's pros and cons on both sides but it seems like it should be a call made on the basis of how likely the player is to get called up.

They haven't made the run of the mill Super Rugby players stick around to play the NRC even though their contracts were still running.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For what it's worth, here are my predictions:

Vikings
Rising
NSW Country
Spirit
Brisbane City
Rams
Rays
Brisbane Country
Stars

I expect them to be very inaccurate. Looking forward to cheering for NSW Country but catching a random selection of the Sydney games live.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Brian, you as a rusted on club man have your views. And they are valid.

But here's the important part. To everybody bar your 30 mates that go watch your Shute Shield team, and the 11 other equivalents, the Shute Shield is a mickey mouse competition full of nobodies they don't care about and not good enough to bother about.

This has concentrated that talent so only those who may make it as professionals are able to get a game. Each team covers larger regions. I doubt people were too attached to the Melbourne Stars and Melbourne Renegades when they kicked off too, but that decided where they fell based on the geographic delineation of those teams and support has begun to grow.

I'd wager that now though, there are more people from the Prahran region that get along and identify with the Melbourne Stars (South East of the City) than those that do with the Prahran Cricket Club.
Putting it the way you have, has given me some solace. But as I have spoken with other respected men on this forum, why did the ARU drop the original NRC?
But.... I may catch up with a few mates from Melbourne if I am stupid enough to go there :)

T

TOCC

The ARU dropped the original ARC due to political reasons and exorbitant costs, clubland ruby(shute shield) greatly opposed the original ARC as it was deemed to push them further down the pecking order. As a result, a political campaign to have JON reinstated back into power was pushed from clubland, JON's accession to the ARU throne was pushed by the same Shute shield players who wanted the ARC scrapped. Coincidentally, one of JON's first actions after been appointed back to the ARU was launch a review of the ARC which saw it subsequently scratched. QRU power brokers were noncommittal to the ARC, club rugby doesn't have the same power in QLD rugby and the QRU were pre-occupied with the poor performances of the Reds so there was no opposition to scrapping the ARC from QLD either.

The cost of the ARC was irrelevant in the end, it just gave the ARU and JON a justification to cancel the competition. Mistakes were made in the establishment of the original ARC, i think the current set-up with Sydney Clubs having a more hands-on role is likely a more workable solution given the political landscape.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thought SKY TV NZ might have picked up at least highlights for their Rugby Channel if not one of the 6 general Sports channels but it appears not. Strange considering the cross-ownership between Fox & SKY.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Round 1
Brisbane City vs Sydney Stars at Ballymore Stadium, Brisbane
Referee: Rohan Hoffmann
Assistant referees: Matt O'Brien, Damien Mitchelmore
Television match official: Greg Milne
Assessor: Andrew Cole
Canberra Vikings vs Perth Spirit at Viking Park, Canberra
Referee: Damien Mitchelmore
Assistant referees: Will Houston, Sarah Corrigan
Assessor: John McCarthy
NSW Country Eagles vs Greater Sydney Rams at Coogee Oval, Sydney
Referee: James Leckie
Assistant referees: Ian Smith, Amy Perrett
Assessor: Matt Goddard
Melbourne Rising vs North Harbour Rays at AAMI Park, Melbourne
Referee: Andrew Lees
Assistant referees: Ed Martin, Oliver Kellett
Assessor: Mick Tanzer

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's going to be really interesting to see what kind of crowds the teams can draw. I really have no idea which sides will do best in that regard.

I hope it can do better than the ARC. Now that half the teams are being run by super rugby franchises with big membership bases you'd have to think some matches will draw a decent crowd. Social media also wasn't really a factor in 2007.

T

TOCC

From reports all teams have budgeted for crowds much lower then that of the ARC..

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
From reports all teams have budgeted for crowds much lower then that of the ARC..

Well it's sensible to budget for low crowds but that doesn't mean there isn't the potential to get some significantly bigger ones. Over 5k anyway.

Manly sometimes attract 5k to the Shute Shield. With only 4 games and a larger catchment area you'd think the Rays may be able to at least do the same.

And Brisbane City should be able to draw a decent crowd. I imagine Perth and Melbourne will do alright as well.

The first QLD Country game at Bond Uni has free entry. If they can't get a decent crowd to that match they'll never get one.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wouldn't expect many at Ballymore tomorrow night. 5000 for the club GF with plenty to play for and somewhat traditional supporter bases.

I reckon around 1000 tomorrow night. Regardless the tv will be shooting into that empty western stand so it will look empty. With rain predicted it may well be.

Except for me. I will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.