• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
I won this NRC footy!! What a beauty

945ef1e00730a98f954eaec92bfb975c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rohan Hoffman needs to spend more time on management skills than in the solarium.

He seems to become flustered and confused very easily in matches. He's made some pretty bad calls under pressure this year and some of them really basic stuff - like telling a team that if they kick it out from a penalty it will be half time and then playing the lineout.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One thing which they could look at for NRC 2016 is a 5 minute sin-bin for non-foul play infringements and that 2 x yellow cards is only a red card where at least one of them is a foul play infringement.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
No problem with them using cards, they just have to get the call right.
Couldn't agree more. But really, a PK would have matched the action. Did a YC though? Should a team be penalised to be a man down for that??
Hoffman is sliding down a slippery pole. And TJs call on that high tackle was rubbish. Poor decision making from two Super Rugby referees... And they are the best we have. Hopefully NRC will unearth some referee talent not just player telent. The bloke who did the brisbane v qld country game last weekend is an excellent example. Cool under pressure. Solid decisions. Game flowed tremendously.
More of that please

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Don't mind some of the new rules.
It seems the refs have been told to official games differently though.
I dont need to see 80 points scored to enjoy rugby.
One of the best games if seen all year was the Shute GF, both teams played real rugby. Yes a purist would enjoy that game, and i know we are trying to broaden the audience, trying to say new rules good, new ways they are trying to official games needs time to find right balance.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^
We are on the same wavelength here DB and so is Eyes and Ears above.

One predicted before the NRC started last year that the yellow cards needed to be used well or else the changed points system would not work.

And if it was used well - the more cards, the more controversy, as Eyes mentioned above.

In 2008, Super Rugby used the 2007 ARC free kick regime (in which penalties were awarded for foul play only). The regime worked a treat in the Shute Shield and the ARC but it was a made a parody by the more senior Super Rugby referees a few months later.

The SS and ARC referees issued cards like lollies at a kids picnic, especially in the Shute Shield, and eventually the sanctions worked.

Instead, the Super Rugby referees gave layers of warnings before issuing cards which betrayed one of the the rationales of the FK regime: instead of helping to speed the game up the professional referees slowed it down.

Everybody in the NH was falling down laughing at this Aussie trick.

Whether the free kick ELV was a good idea or not, is not to the point, which is that if more carding is likely to be needed it must be used correctly and as part of that the calls have to be made accurately.

PS - not to the point but the howler by the AR, making an inaccurate call for action by Hoffmann on Thursday night, had nothing to do with the NRC—we've all seen such things in all rugby.

AR Matt O'Brien (son of Paddy, and who moved to Aus) is a fine referee; so it is difficult to reconcile that with the report he gave to Hoffmann.

But we assume that officials have the same view as we do from the couch and it is not so. One can see the case where he had a view from his line of sight that in all probability appeared to be a shoulder charge.

PPS - Unless the more frequent use of cards is used well there is Buckley's chance of some of the NRC ELVs being adopted at a higher level - and they are not used at a higher level should we be be assessing future Super Rugby players in an environment that will be soft if cards are withheld?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Are people liking the 2015 NRC rugby better than that of last year?

I think it is marginally better. I got criticised last year for panning some of the "surfie" rugby I saw in 2014.

It wasn't because the amount of tries being scored; it was the way that they were scored - against defences that were too easily breached.

We all know it's more difficult for new teams to get their defences right and I think it's a tad better in 2015.

And it's good from a point of view of developing players (attacking and defending) in that the maul drives to score tries seem to more in vogue this year - and also good (unfortunately for my Rays) that dominant scrums are rewarded.

Does anybody have an easy way of finding out the total tries scored (season to date - or by each round, if not) in 2014 and 2015?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that RR - I thought that defence was a tad tougher this year but that was wrong, if attack is about the same as last year.

But I wonder what the NRC would be like had the standard laws been used.

I've got no clue, but I'd like to see some games played under standard law, just to see. Maybe in the last two rounds or just the last round if teams with no hope of making the finals are playing each other.

I'm not trying to make a point - and I know that the organisers want tries scored as a vital reason to justify the competition, but it may be good to see.

Incidentally - I've been busy on weekends whilst the schoolboy competitions have been on and apart from the Thursday night games I have only watched the replays.

As a Foxtel customer I had no problem accessing them after my initial log-in.

Right now I have logged into to try to watch the Stars game live and it is giving me the run-around and asked me to subscribe, as I did initially to watch the replays.

When I did, it said that I am already signed up as a subscriber so everything should be hunky dory, or words to that effect, but when I click on the live game I am asked to subscribe.

And around in circles I go.

Does anybody have any ideas to help please?

Thanks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Other useless facts are:
154 tries have been scored, with 109 converted (71%).
99 different players have crossed the try line.
68 players have scored 1 try
17 players have scored a brace of tries
9 players have scored 3 tries
5 players have scored 4 tries
1 Player has scored 5 tries

19 players have scored 2 tries in one game. 1 player has done this twice.
2 players have scored at least 1 try in every game.

Try Scoring
Sydney Stars have scored 24 tries with 17 converted (71%)
Brisbane City have scored 24 tries with 16 converted (67%)
North Harbour Rays have scored 19 tries with 16 converted (84%)
Queensland Country have scored 18 tries with 14 converted (78%)
UC Vikings* have scored 16 tries with 13 converted (81%)
Melbourne Rising* have scored 15 tries with 10 converted (67%)
Greater Sydney Rams* have scored 14 tries with 6 converted (43%)
Perth Spirit have scored 13 tries with 8 converted (62%)
NSW Country Eagles* have scored 11 tries with 9 converted (82%)

* One less game

Try Leaking
North Harbour Rays: 24 tries against, from 4 games. Average: 6 tries leaked per game
Queensland Country: 24 tries against, from 4 games. Average: 6 tries leaked per game
Greater Sydney Rams: 17 tries against, from 3 games. Average: 5.7 tries leaked per game
Melbourne Rising: 16 tries against, from 3 games. Average: 5.3 tries leaked per game
NSW Country Eagles: 15 tries against, from 3 games. Average: 5 tries leaked per game
Perth Spirit: 19 tries against, from 4 games. Average: 4.8 tries leaked per game
Sydney Stars: 17 tries against, from 4 games. Average: 4.3 tries leaked per game
UC Vikings: 10 tries against, from 3 games. Average: 3.3 tries leaked per game
Brisbane City: 12 tries against, from 4 games. Average: 3 tries leaked per game

Tries per round:
Rnd 1 - 36
Rnd 2 - 38
Rnd 3 - 41
Rnd 4 - 38

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
^^^^^^^^
AR Matt O'Brien (son of Paddy, and who moved to Aus) is a fine referee; so it is difficult to reconcile that with the report he gave to Hoffmann.

respectfully i have to disagree

he is one of the worst professional refs about.

some of his super rugby performances last season were unbelievably incompetent

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Thanks for that RR - I thought that defence was a tad tougher this year but that was wrong, if attack is about the same as last year.

I think defences are better and more organised this year but PKs are down significantly and ball in play is up and as a result, tries are up. I also feel that there is a very postive attacking rugby style to the games, not unlike schoolboy rugby, and teams back themselves to score 40 points while not being too concerned about conceding 30.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps as the average age of some teams is not much above Schoolboy/colts age, many teams are still trying to play to their schoolboy/colts styles as their native game. They haven't been knocking around the club and pro scene for long enough to have adopted a lower risk style of play as their default style.

Status
Not open for further replies.