• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sydneybra

SydneyBra, no reason to hold players up for extra credit by being young. There were 35 players in the tournament aged 15 and one aged 14 as of Monday (Day 1)! Needless to say the 2 View boys did very well.

Hutchison was a step above most 16 year olds, i was trying to say next year at this event he will remind some of wallabies

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Congrats Reds on a great win in atrocious conditions. Someone left the gate open in the channel between 10to 12(no pun intended) and the reds took full advantage of it. Thought the forwards were evenly matched even in the first half but every time the Schools piggies looked up the Reds seemed to be running down to score. Hard to get any momentum going when your starting from the half way every 5 minutes.Second half saw a change in the Schools backline the 30 degree wind at their back and the game was alive again. As we know they didn't have the time or legs to get there.
Special mention , I thought Joey NSW #14 had a great carnival and is a kid to look out for in the future

W

Welzsh

Red v NSW was a good game, the old cliche of a game of 2 halves. The Reds 12,13 & 15 were superb in the first half cutting the defence to shreds. The reds forwards were also dominant in the first half, especially at the breakdown. They were in my eyes slightly fortunate that they didn't get picked up for for coming in from the side. Second half NSW forwards picked their game up and seemed to better with short pick and drives sucking in the defence. There shortfall was kicking possession away especially in the opposition 22......why?

As a parent from Victoria and fresh of the boat I thought the whole tournament was spectacular even if we under achieved as a team. It's a great venue, well organised and played in the right spirit that rugby is intended to be. Congratulations all, I look forward to next years as my son is one of the 15's who will hopefully be in next years as well.

Ps this is a great forum long may it continue!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...../snip/....

Ps this is a great forum long may it continue!

Welcome aboard Welzsh.

We try to play nicely with each other here.

There was plenty of NSW and QLD interest in and contribution to this thread and the previews on the blog front page.

As you will be back next year, we need you to get the VIC contributions going early; team lists, trial results, injury updates. We had to rely on uncle Google this year.

G&GR now have a bit of a template to follow for Schoolboy tournaments, which will only improve with time, but the forum will only be as good as the quality, quantity, and spread of contributions.

VIC and WA are legitimate Div 1 teams and while the scorelines were unfavourable to them at times, with more hard rugby experiences and exposure, their tournament performances will improve.

PS. I am not a fan of "fresh of the boat" even if that is an accurate statement. The abbreviation of that expression is frequently used in a very derogatory racist manner and put down by many around these parts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But for a couple of bounces of the ball, a missed tackle here or there, a poor kick or two, the entire make up of the Final day matches and their outcome would have been entirely different.

There are very strong arguments that could be mounted for a QLD Red vs White Final, similar for a NSW Schools v Juniors. With another bonus point, and a gust of wind at a certain time, ACT could have even been in the gold medal play off.

Crikey even VIC nearly beat the eventual winners in pool play. WA scared the bejesus out of the 3rd place getter, Qld White. NSW Country recovered from an embarrassing scoreline on day 1 to win one game and push Juniors hard in the playoff for 5th vs 6th.

That is the beauty of Tournaments. Injuries happen, balls bounce randomly, one percent passes may not come off, the paper analysts and pre-tournament megaphones are often proven wrong.

If QLD White played with the passion and power that they did when they were down to 14 in the middle 2 quarters of their playoff for 3rd vs 4th, AND they did that with 15 on the field, then they could have gone close to winning the tournament.

History will record the results as they were, but the banter and debate will go on for a long time about what could have been, if only.....

W

Welzsh

I will be glad to contribute to next years forum and look forward to it.

As for FOB well being Welsh it doesn't bother me as we're well used to banter as long as everything is said in the right context I have no complaints.

Thank you all for a great read and differences of opinions, it's been a pleasure

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Player of the Tournament was No8 Jamason Schultz, (or so I am led to believe)!

For the avoidance of any doubt:

Page 21 of the programme lists under Trophies/Awards
"Most Outstanding Player DIV 1 PLAYER OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP"

At the Presentation Luncheon, the MC announced Queensland Reds #2 Alex MAFI as that person.

Page 22 of the programme records that this trophy was first awarded in 2007 as "Ford Player of the Tournament". Michael HOOPER (NSW Schools) won.

In 2008, under the same name, the award was won by Liam GILL (QLD Red).

In 2009, it is listed as "Player of the Tournament" and won by Cameron CLARK (Sydney Juniors), son of FoxSports own Greg Clark.

In 2010, Div 1 and Div2 awards were made.
The "Div 1 Player of the Tournament" for 2010 was Jonathon VAUX (Sydney Juniors).

In 2011, retaining the same name, trophy was awarded to Brad WILKIN (QLD Red)

Prior to 2007, a Merit team was announced IIRC. I believe that this was stopped in 2007 because it was considered divisive and counter-productive.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
It will interesting to see whether Richie Asiata (QLD Red #1) will be picked up by any of the big GPS schools in Queensland. He currently attends John Paul College which is not a renowned rugby school.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ There were more people at the championships with clipboards taking notes than you get at an Eastern Suburbs open home viewing. Most of those were not in ARU trackies.

Saw a few characters wearing QLD GPS school attire and branding lurking around who were too old to be students.

Red #1 was a big lad, and will most likely need a big school.:).

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Prior to 2007, a Merit team was announced IIRC. I believe that this was stopped in 2007 because it was considered divisive and counter-productive.

I have heard tell that during the 90's an Australian U16 team actually played "test" fixtures against our mates across the ditch.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With the boys all back at home by now, and looking forward to returning to school :))), it is time to review how the Gaggerland team managed to "run" our side of the tournament.

It is hoped that this will be come the G&GR norm for coverage of "important" schoolboy tournaments.

To ensure that G&GR continues to meet and exceed your requirements, please send any feedback on what we did well, what we could have done better, what you want more of, what you want less of and any other suggestions for improvement to Lee Grant and myself by "Conversations" (use inbox button next to your sign in name above and follow your nose), or by posting your thoughts on the general forum.

I can guarantee that all contributions will be read. Most will be actioned where appropriate and practicable.

More importantly, please groom some contributors and volunteers for Season 2013 U16's and Open Schoolboys Championships.

If enough support is shown, we will try and do a mini scale operation for the NSW Schools U16's and Schools Opens as well.

Thanks Welzsh for being the first Gaggerland volunteer for 2013 U16 Nationals.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree with that. Was nice to meet you by accident Welzsh on Day 4 - you know your rugby and look like you could cause a bit of damage in an oldies match.

Johnny Blaze

Herbert Moran (7)
It will interesting to see whether Richie Asiata (QLD Red #1) will be picked up by any of the big GPS schools in Queensland. He currently attends John Paul College which is not a renowned rugby school.

Richie started at Keebra Park SHS last term and now on their league program. Not sure which way he will go as was on the Broncos development program in U12 & U13. I know he has knocked back BSHS and GT earlier this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

2007 also had a Merit Team; it included PAE, Luke Jones, Michael Hooper and Tom Kingston.
One of the forum members said there was a Merit team up in Qld in 2008 but I've never seen it; so he may be mistaken.

hollowman

Peter Burge (5)
2007 also had a Merit Team; it included PAE, Luke Jones, Michael Hooper and Tom Kingston.
One of the forum members said there was a Merit team up in Qld in 2008 but I've never seen it; so he may be mistaken.

I see the AJRU announced an Australian U17 merit team following their recent interstate competition. I thought it a good thing if given more communication about the purpose, critera etc. Given the history of these awards will this be seen as divisive and counter produtive, good or just a thing?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The U/16 version was seen in such a negative light apparently. I spoke to some ARU guys last year at the U/16 tournament about why they discontinued the U/16 merit team and they mentioned the reasons you gave.

Apparently the people selecting the team, and others who were thought to be selecting the team, were being approached by strangers who were all too willing to help them.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah, merit teams are more trouble than they are worth.

By that I mean a rep team like Aus Schools is selected with a game plan and player types in mind, for example they might look for break down effectiveness in a 7. Whereas a merit team would struggle to rationalise not picking the 7 that scored the most tries.

Also, people often expect a formula. Namel,y if the team that comes 2nd gets more players picked than the team that comes 1st people will rage.

All in all meaningless teams are meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.