• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Admittedly I am biased toward Sydney, but can someone tell me if I am wrong with respect to the second half of the Syd v QLD game going in excess of 30 mins.

Apart from the YC's and the subbing there were no stoppages as far as I was aware. The game deserved a draw at the very least for Sydney IMO.

The 10 and 13 had blinders for Sydney, especially in defence. Accordingly the 'Big Boppers' of the QLD front row had great games in attack and defence. They set that platform for the win IMO.

All in all it was a great spectacle; edge of the seat stuff!

I believe the ref will be the subject of numerous verbal attacks, however he was consistent with both sides throughout the match!

Sydney's indecisiveness in attack down the flanks perhaps cost them the game today, but as they say in Ireland, 'it's fish and chip paper now'.

Good luck to both the Banana Benders and our Boys in Blue for tomorrow; it's sure to be a great spectacle.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
What was the score as watched first 20 convinced Sydney had the upper hand. At this point OLD had 3 players in the bin. What happened.? Was hoping they win so Country could tackle ACT in the final tomorrow Not to be by the sounds.

abe01

Frank Nicholson (4)
indigenous beat tassie 107-3 but Tasmania tried to the end.how do you think they would fare against some of the pool b teams? First tome at the championships and all the teams I've seen have done themselves proud

M

Mike Hunt

Admittedly I am biased toward Sydney, but can someone tell me if I am wrong with respect to the second half of the Syd v QLD game going in excess of 30 mins.

Apart from the YC's and the subbing there were no stoppages as far as I was aware. The game deserved a draw at the very least for Sydney IMO.

The 10 and 13 had blinders for Sydney, especially in defence. Accordingly the 'Big Boppers' of the QLD front row had great games in attack and defence. They set that platform for the win IMO.

All in all it was a great spectacle; edge of the seat stuff!

I believe the ref will be the subject of numerous verbal attacks, however he was consistent with both sides throughout the match!

Sydney's indecisiveness in attack down the flanks perhaps cost them the game today, but as they say in Ireland, 'it's fish and chip paper now'.

Good luck to both the Banana Benders and our Boys in Blue for tomorrow; it's sure to be a great spectacle.
YES you are WRONG! The ref was Sydney bias consistently favouring NSW similar to our Brumby boys. 3 YC's for QLD. Good luck to the QLD BRos in the final

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
YES you are WRONG! The ref was Sydney bias consistently favouring NSW similar to our Brumby boys. 3 YC's for QLD. Good luck to the QLD BRos in the final
I do not agree - He binned at least one NSW player and I think there would be people on both sides of the fence who felt hard done by: a sure sign that he's not biased.
I think you have to allow for the fact that for these U16 players it is highly unlikely that they have ever been in such close matches against blokes who know what they're doing. I takes a lot of getting used to the idea that you're up against 15 competent blokes when, for most of your rugby playing life you'd be lucky if you came up against 10 in one team.
This impacts on getting isolated, timing and judgment.
Hence lots of penalties and some yellows: QLD were lucky that one of those yellows wasn't red, IMO.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Day 3, Australian National U16 Tournament

On a much anticipated day with temperatures nudging 30deg and the climax of the preliminary rounds on offer the players put on performances many will not forget for sometime.

In the morning NSW Country took on Western Australia on the main oval while Indiginous played Tasmania on the back oval.

Then followed the main match; Sydney v Queensland Red in what proved to be a blockbuster followed by NSW Schools accounting for Queensland White.

Game 13 – NSW Country v WA
Contadictory to normality, both sets of Piggies showed the Princesses how to play in the scorching heat. They kept it tight, rarely dropped a ball and rammed each other and still kept running till the end. Conversely, the Princesses in both teams were loathed to pass to each other and when they did invariably dropped the ball with their eyes on the opposition.

The game sea-soared with scoring at both ends of the paddock. Firstly, WA’s No2 Terry Berryman picked the ball from the ruck and dived across the line to score. Country immediately responded with the tearaway locks flowing of the No9, Tommy Sawden who scampered over the line only to be denied by the officials. Drinks were called at ¼ time with no relief from the heat in sight.

Country’s No20, Marcus Hundt scored soon after resumption following what looked painstakingly slow hands to the sideline but an overlap prevailed. Score 5-5. Soon afterwards Country’s Callum Styles (No10) kicked behind the fast advancing WA backs only for the Marcus Hundt to misjudge the tackle and bounced off the shoulders of the West Australian defender 3m from the goal line. The clearing kick took play back to halfway for another break.

Second half the Piggies toiled hard without letting their opposition any advantage. The princesses continued to drop the ball when any attacking move was happening and the score remained locked until Huon Croucher (#7) for country in the corner. A magnificent conversion from the sideline by Styles and Country emerged victors 12-8.

Game 14 – Sydney v Queensland Reds
In a game that resembled an old fashioned grand final with both teams trying to bash, crash and blast their opposites off the paddock the ref decided to calm things down. After going to his pocket 3 times for high tackles (Qld 2) and not releasing the player (NSW 1) both teams didn’t ease off. Sydney were determined to play in the finals the next day but to do so had to account for the top team from Queensland. Their determination and execution was ‘on song’. Lineouts were copy book, passes were clean and running was straight resulting in 2 unanswered tries. Half time the teams gratefully jogged to their drink stations with the score 16-0 to Sydney.

In the second half Queensland were running with the breeze and the sun behind them. After 10 minutes had elapsed and still no further score Coach Rivers brought on his Sydney reserves that coincided with a turning point in the game. A lineout was lost for a crooked throw and some luck to Queensland in another lineout saw the momentum switch markedly. Queensland scored 2 tries in 10minutes and the score was now 16-16. Rivers brought back his starting 15 and Sydney worked their way back up-field to score out wide. The conversion hit the upright from Dave Smerdon and Queensland responded magnificently with a pie. With 3 minutes to go the teams were locked at 21 apiece. Sydney were attacking and refused to take the points in front but rather a quick tap by Nic Clancy that resulted in nothing and the crowd was yelling. Another penalty to Sydney further out and this time elected to go for the points but the kick was pulled left. Scores remained 21-21 with a minute left. Play was grinding to a standstill with neither team allowing a break. With seconds remaining Queensland now had a penalty 40m out and in front with the wind behind them. Joe Simpkins (No10) confidently guided the ball high and straight and Queensland emerged victors 24-21 with both teams totally spent!

Bill McLean (32)

With a name like the one you have it's hard to take you serious, but I can assure you the yellow cards were deserved just like the one Sydney received first up in the game!

I asked a rationale question; just before 1425 the mandated 15 minute hydration break occurred. The game recommenced three minutes later. The ref awararded the penalty at nearly 1450. Considering QLD won with a penalty goal on the bell I would ask the question again; did anyone else keep the same time as me?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
With a name like the one you have it's hard to take you serious, but I can assure you the yellow cards were deserved just like the one Sydney received first up in the game!

I asked a rationale question; just before 1425 the mandated 15 minute hydration break occurred. The game recommenced three minutes later. The ref awararded the penalty at nearly 1450. Considering QLD won with a penalty goal on the bell I would ask the question again; did anyone else keep the same time as me?

Newbie, the game was longer in the 2nd half. By my chronometer I reckon 5mins. I am awaiting DVD tomorrow to prove myself wrong!

(in relation to TC one should have been a red today).

uno

Bob McCowan (2)
I also think that the game went overtime. As a queenslander I was screening for the whistle because as I understood it, at 21all QLD would have won!!! Having scored the most tries in the game, they would have awarded the win.
The white vs schools game I am still unable to talk about. QLD had them on the ropes, but with some silly changes and really poor defence the schools boys got up. Missed oppotunity

Bill McLean (32)
Newbie, the game was longer in the 2nd half. By my chronometer I reckon 5mins. I am awaiting DVD tomorrow to prove myself wrong!

(in relation to TC one should have been a red today).

I would feel much better if you proved us both wrong!

I hate when incidents like that happen; though I enjoy one in the early part of this century when Johnny Eales kicked the winning penalty goal against the All Blacks in the 10 minute of added on time ... ... ... Lol!

Bill McLean (32)
I also think that the game went overtime. As a queenslander I was screening for the whistle because as I understood it, at 21all QLD would have won!!! Having scored the most tries in the game

LMAO ... ... ... Well if it is any consolation I, as a New South Welshman, was crying for him to blow full time as I was under the misunderstanding that Sydney would have won scoring the first try of the game ... ... ... LMAO!

And as a loud and proud NSWelshman I been crying a lot lately because of you bloody 'Bananalanders' ... ... ... :D :D :D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bill Gates and Microsoft have just cost us the benefit of my unposted post. Computer crash issues on a PC with IE and windows 7 = bulldust.
give me Mac anyday. Unfortunatly I will not be retyping all I lost when PC sh!t itself, so I will only post abridged version.

29 degrees at astart of game. 32 degrees at end.
Qld Red v Juniors. Reds were deserving winners playing most of the game with 1, or 2 in the bin. Ill disciplinein breakdown nearly cost them the game. Reds made all the play, and all the mistakes. Juniors game plan and execution was traditional and pedestrian. Reds monstered Juniors scrum.

32 degrees at start, 33 degrees at end of game. (according to iphone ap)
Qld Whites v Schools. Finally we got to see Whites attack led by #13 Perese. This was pleasing. Schools too good in the end. The Pack of Wolves (#6, #7, #8) set the platform again for victory. #13 Hutchinson was classy on defence and attack. The wolf pack were assisted by #4, #5 and #1 in aggresive defence. Whites led for parts of this game but Schools always had answer and never really looked like they would lose.

It was hot, damn hot. The NT team must have had an environmental advantage.

I have acquired DVD's of games and this confirms the following:
a. The referees were awesome, and there is no excuse for the YC's. The players were warned through the Captains (repeatedly in some cases).
b. It is very easy to rate players, and write match reviews with one of them in your possession.

For what it is worth (hiding my disappointment that there will not be a NSW vs NSW final):
playoff for 1/2 Schools vs Reds
Playoff for 3/4 Whites v Brumbies
Playoff for 5/6 Country vs Juniors
Playoff for 7/8 VIC vs WA.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
LMAO . . . Well if it is any consolation I, as a New South Welshman, was crying for him to blow full time as I was under the misunderstanding that Sydney would have won scoring the first try of the game . . . LMAO!

And as a loud and proud NSWelshman I been crying a lot lately because of you bloody 'Bananalanders' . . . :D :D :D

Final placings in Pool B came down to one PK,and One try in the end.

Juniors will rue missed opportunities and unrealised potential. The whole nonsence of tries for and against, who beat who, bonus points who scored first, who chose the number between 0 and 100 that is closest to the number I chose, etc, would not have been an issue if they had played to their potential.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In yesterday's afternoon games I was very disappointed, if not alarmed, at the number of no arms tackles.
What's going on?
Are a lot of these guys mainly league players?
This has got to be addressed other than on the field by the refs, that means coaches and probably selectors.
Notwithstanding all the yellow cards there were no arms tackles the officials understandably didnt see: it seemed to be the preferred technique for quite a number and it has to be stamped out.
Even the boofheads in the other code have woken up to the dangers it presents!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
In yesterday's afternoon games I was very disappointed, if not alarmed, at the number of no arms tackles.
What's going on?
Are a lot of these guys mainly league players?
This has got to be addressed other than on the field by the refs, that means coaches and probably selectors.
Notwithstanding all the yellow cards there were no arms tackles the officials understandably didnt see: it seemed to be the preferred technique for quite a number and it has to be stamped out.
Even the boofheads in the other code have woken up to the dangers it presents!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Huge: This technique is from laziness. As Newbie posted earlier the following boys are the tip of the iceberg in terms of training and playing the darkness game:
Well once again the NSW/ACT teams have a representation of 'Harold Matthews' boys. Another group that may soon have to elect which path they follow.

Brumbies:
Tyrel Lomax (Raiders)
Jack Hickson (Raiders)
Charlie McKenzie (Raiders)
Jordan Kenworthy (Raiders)

NSW Schools:
Aisea Tukipili (Manly)
Andrew Vatuvei (Wests)

NSW Country:
Raui Poaru (Wests)
Josh Tupuola (SWSAS)

Sydney Juniors:
Jordan Loto'aniu (Bulldogs)
Niko Fiapuleniko (Bears)

then add to these names many others and you see why the "shoulder charge" is the preferred way of playing for too many.

Simple method for stamping it out; RED card every time it is used!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are any of these Howard Matthews boys also in Junior Gold Programmes or is this mutually exclusive?

One would hope that Junior Gold would teach correct tackle technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.