• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What I said earlier about media opportunities for National Tournaments. Still relevant:
enforcer was looking for a gig.

Archbishop Lee Grant does an excellent job preaching to the Gaggerland congregation, and long may he remain ours and ours alone.

If Grumbles is incapable of getting his snout out of the gossip tabloid trough for long enough to actually write a thought provoking and objective article, then perhaps the ARU media unit needs to coordinate and direct all rugby brand media to write column inches for the main papers, and the surburban giveaway newspapers.

Every child at under 18 schoolboy tournament comes from a local suburb. Put out a local interest number on each and every participant. Not too hard to do, and you get a good return for your 300 word investment.

Fairly simple grass roots stuff really. Not everyone wants to know about what Quade Cooper had for breakfast via twitterland.

As I type the above, another dangerous idea is evolving, (Disclaimer: I have no real idea about how twitter works but.) why not have the boys (in a controlled and mentored manner) twitter about the games - ARU media establish twitter accounts and provide the necessary environment and hardware to facilitate this. Introducing them to the potential evils of twitter/social media (Stephanie Rice anyone?) early and in a supervised and controlled manner would serve two purposes.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Spreadsheets and databases help. Touch typist (slowish) make things easy and gives the illusion that I have done significantly more work than actually done. Yes a self confessed Data geek.

If you want something done, give it to a busy person. I am also blessed to have a long suffering, loving and very capable La Jarse behind me.

Still hoping for the NSW v Juniors final. It can be done, but Juniors will need their top game, and pretty sure that Reds will not do a "Lay down Sally".

That's the final that I'd like to be there to see too. Whoever makes it it's bound to be a cracker. Can't be everywhere though. I'll be in Caloundra on Friday and will post U17s results & brief U15s match reports on the appropriate threads.

Bill McLean (32)
Who are the stand outs from the Queensland sides?

DC,

I have only seen one game, that being the QLD Red team, and I hope to see another tomorrow, but I was particularly impressed with the winger Tyrone Hussey and the IC Henry Devine.

Hussey is very elusive and made several great breaks. Devine too made some decent runs, and his defence and support play were exceptional.

The Flyhalf Mason looks the goods and when the 22 Dorrough came on he certainly knew the meaning of 'carpe diem'.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hi All,

Does anyone the the new set up next year - apparently going to ARU tournaments for U15s and U17s. Hopefully, they will select combined NSW 1, 2 and 3 teams and flick the GPS bias schoolboys side.

I agree that "NSW Schools" and "NSW Juniours" isn't the way to go but NSW Country is a legitimate rugby province and I have no issues with them competing as one. Perhaps you could run NSW City 1 and 2 and NSW Country? Name an honour XV at the end?

I would like to see the same competition run for U16s and U18s (for the sake of continuity).

I also would like to see Vic and WA (ACT too if they're willing) giving a chance to play their 2nds (ideally to be made up of mostly u17s) in Div 2, for the sake of development.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree that "NSW Schools" and "NSW Juniours" isn't the way to go but NSW Country is a legitimate rugby province and I have no issues with them competing as one. Perhaps you could run NSW City 1 and 2 and NSW Country? Name an honour XV at the end?

I would like to see the same competition run for U16s and U18s (for the sake of continuity).

I also would like to see Vic and WA (ACT too if they're willing) giving a chance to play their 2nds (ideally to be made up of mostly u17s) in Div 2, for the sake of development.
Is it set it stone that the comp will move from 16's to U15's and U17's?
If they're going to change it I think skipping a year is good: otherwise there would be a temptation to start with last year's squads and work from there whereas skipping a year means its harder to fudge the selections and so gives emerging kids a chance to make their respective teams.
If we see this as a development platform we need to keep it as open as possible so we dont miss the later developers - this goes for 3rd tier as well (but that's another subject).
I think NSW Country are a legitimate province too: one that needs fostering judging by posts I have seen.
I know someone said lets not get into state of origin but selecting kids for country or city based on principal place of residence might be doable. You might need QLD doing something similar in order that they dont get an advatage - but I don't know anything about their selection approach/issues and what is the split in their teams between country and city.
It could be very interesting if the indigenous team had first call on any boy from anywhere with the necessary qualifications!!
going out for this arvo's games which look pretty enticing.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The thing is, a NSW 1sts team will be 95% city based boys. So taking into account 1 or 2 boys' unique travel situations would be difficult.

Whereas NSW Country can arrange their whole training strategy on the basis on travel.

Bill McLean (32)
Well once again the NSW/ACT teams have a representation of 'Harold Matthews' boys. Another group that may soon have to elect which path they follow.

Brumbies:
Tyrel Lomax (Raiders)
Jack Hickson (Raiders)
Charlie McKenzie (Raiders)
Jordan Kenworthy (Raiders)

NSW Schools:
Aisea Tukipili (Manly)
Andrew Vatuvei (Wests)

NSW Country:
Raui Poaru (Wests)
Josh Tupuola (SWSAS)

Sydney Juniors:
Jordan Loto'aniu (Bulldogs)
Niko Fiapuleniko (Bears)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
33 degrees
QLD red 24 juniors 21

Halftime
White 10 - School 5

Now school 22-17

Lots of YC. Red 3 Jnr 1, school 2, white 1

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Drinks breaks taken in both games after 15 min.

Weak spectators hiding in the shade.

Final score schools 32 whites 17

Final Schools v. Reds

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)

No argument here, let's say, NSW Country, NSW 1 & 2 (so any country player not selected for country but considered by ARU NSW selectors to be suitably skilled can then be given a run in NSW 1 or 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.