• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Blog Post: THINK TANK: A new, workable 3rd Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G&GR News Bot

For some time this website has been campaigning for a 3rd tier and there has been much discussion about how it would help develop players. It’s well known that the ARU has tried this before, with the ill fated Australian Rugby Championship (ARC) which folded after one year and also the Australian Rugby Shield. I’m

Click this link to read the full article...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Constructively speaking - NSW have Salary Cap issues and have demonstrated they can distribute funds, the ARU possibly could as well??

Would it effect their Salary Cap by contribting / investing into a Third Tier?

I believe one of the reasons the ARC did not succeed is because it lacked the support of the Shute Sheild clubs, how could this be resolved. By creating geopraphic representaive teams (Nth / Sth / West / Country / ACT / QLD?) and having the games played after the 1st grade Shute Sheild fixture, and / or a Curtain Raiser for a Super Game (the Curtain Raiser would be better if it was colts though - an U20 would love run out on the pitch).

It would be good to include the same rep teams for Colts as well and this may assist in preventing the player drain from out west that is currently a hot topic in another thread.

I can only speak for myself, but I would enjoy a Saturday down at Manly Oval watching all grades, and then watching a 3T game.

Lets not kill club rugby though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is the grass roots, families and the next generation can get down there for the day.

Some clubs maybe able to field their own team (criteria?) - it needs to be an acheivable option.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I am probably in the minority on this site. But I don't think we can successfully start and sustain a 3rd tier. I look at the NZ competition and how often they have had to restructure it in the last 10 years as a sign that it is not the right fit for us. I think we need to look at how the AFL is running their 2nd Tier and see that as a guide for our 3rd. Under the AFL they have the state leagues, VFL, SAFL, WAFL, NEAFL. These are semi professional competitions run by state organisation. A regional approach which allows for reduce bureaucracy.And their is the Foxtel Cup which is a champions league of sorts which runs through out the year based on the previous years results.

I think we should be eliminating the barriers players have to playing club rugby. This keeps players in Australia and on the field for longer, strengthening the player pool.

In the NEAFL players receive a modest match payment with bonus for wins. Free physio not just at training but during the week. The Senior Squad (premier grade) do not pay rego/insurance. Training and game day kit is also provided for free. The clubs have their own gyms so players don't have to pay gym fees.

These are all ways we can remove barriers that stop players continuing to play Premier Grade Rugby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
A question / ideas /
  • If the ABL (Australian Baseball League) can start, and get good exposure on Foxtel, instead of saying Rugby can't, ask how have they done it? Rugby is one of the Australia's Foundation sports - Baseball is not.
  • Rugby is International - AFL is not, AFL (A = Australian) has Auskick going through and promoting the game through all the schools what is that ARU (A = Australian) doing? Is it funding, and if so why is it that a National game, can do it so much better than an International game?
  • Call the following cost of goods, I'd be facinated to know;
- what the total player payments are to all the AFL players?​
- what the total player payments are to all the ARU & Super Players?​
I'm thinking there is know reason why the combined Rugy Unions cant post a greater revenue than the AFL, I also think the total player payments in AFL exceed what the total player payments are in rugby. Thus I'm think the Total Income prior to operating expenses should be great and there for​
In summary I think Rugby Union could invest in foundations similar to the point above - Auskick, or the point below 3T.​

• 3T - It use to be VFL, and now it is the AFL, we supposedly have the strongest Club Comp in NSW, but a state side that has yet to win a tittle. Why doesnt the 3T just start with the NSWRU (like VFL), get that down pat and then grow?
I.e: Don't start club comps in April, move them forward so a 3T (Zone type rep or Top Club side depending on economics) type comp can evolve at the back end of the season.​
Alot of growth ideas on the forum, all models for growth do cost there is no arguement, some ideas cost more than others - I like keep it simple NSWRU only to start with - Shute Shield tarts in Feb / Mar, then a 6 team Rep comp made up of Nth Hbr / Sth Hbr / Western Sydney / NSW Country / ACT rep / Central Coast rep on completion of the SS.​

nomis

Herbert Moran (7)
The main advantage of using select current clubs who can organise themselves into being 'worthy' of a national comp, is that it allows the market to decide. It puts the onus on those who want it the most, and would probably be the most sustainable, with the least damage done if it fails.

However, I still think the ARC model was one of the most innovative ideas for rugby so far in AUS. It's problem was it's aspirations.

The purpose of a 3T comp needs to be clear. The real purpose of the 3T needs to be to develop players for Super Rugby and beyond, in a more effective way than the current club rugby does. It doesn't need to try and be as professional as the NRL.
With more modest aspirations, my favourite is a modified ARC model that costs far less to run, with teams that are accessible to fans of all clubs, but which the metropolitan clubs flow more naturally into.

It's been similarly said before by others on this site, but to start with, I would have two pools of four teams each. Every team would play home and away matches against the other teams in their pool (six games each). The top two teams from each pool would move through for crossover semi-finals and a final (eight weeks total)

These would be the areas (though not necessarily the names) that I would choose for the ARC teams:

Pool A
Sydney North Harbour
Sydney South Harbour
Western Sydney
Canberra

Pool B
Brisbane North
Brisbane South
Melbourne Rebels
Western Force

While Pool B would involve plane travel, and Pool A would only require bus travel, the overall costs would be shared between all teams, thus reducing the travel expenses of the old ARC.

As the competition stabilised, the format could be changed so that every team played all of the others. New teams could possibly be added from the Gold Coast, Central Coast, Adelaide and so on.
It would be played during the RC, and better compliment that competition to compete with other codes during their finals.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A question / ideas /
  • If the ABL (Australian Baseball League) can start, and get good exposure on Foxtel, instead of saying Rugby can't, ask how have they done it? Rugby is one of the Australia's Foundation sports - Baseball is not.
  • Rugby is International - AFL is not, AFL (A = Australian) has Auskick going through and promoting the game through all the schools what is that ARU (A = Australian) doing? Is it funding, and if so why is it that a National game, can do it so much better than an International game?
  • Call the following cost of goods, I'd be facinated to know;
- what the total player payments are to all the AFL players?​
- what the total player payments are to all the ARU & Super Players?​
I'm thinking there is know reason why the combined Rugy Unions cant post a greater revenue than the AFL, I also think the total player payments in AFL exceed what the total player payments are in rugby. Thus I'm think the Total Income prior to operating expenses should be great and there for​
In summary I think Rugby Union could invest in foundations similar to the point above - Auskick, or the point below 3T.​

• 3T - It use to be VFL, and now it is the AFL, we supposedly have the strongest Club Comp in NSW, but a state side that has yet to win a tittle. Why doesnt the 3T just start with the NSWRU (like VFL), get that down pat and then grow?
I.e: Don't start club comps in April, move them forward so a 3T (Zone type rep or Top Club side depending on economics) type comp can evolve at the back end of the season.​
Alot of growth ideas on the forum, all models for growth do cost there is no arguement, some ideas cost more than others - I like keep it simple NSWRU only to start with - Shute Shield tarts in Feb / Mar, then a 6 team Rep comp made up of Nth Hbr / Sth Hbr / Western Sydney / NSW Country / ACT rep / Central Coast rep on completion of the SS.​

They are heavily backed by MLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.