• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So NZ moves one step closer to the World Record Test Rugby winning streak currently held by Cyprus at 24.

I think it has been set up that the Record may be on the line in the B&I Lions Tour next year. Can anyone confirm if this is the case.

For sh!ts and giggles it would be cool to have a NZ team play Cyprus in a Test in an attempt to wrest the record from them for the 25th consecutive match.

NZL have played two tests before on the same day so precedent has been set. Think it was in the early 50's but NZL was in tour in Sefrika, while the Wobs were touring NZ at the same time.

Go on NZRU you know it makes sense. Challenge Cyprus for the World Record. Might set some other World Record scores as well :).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Match 25 would be 3rd Test v B&IL.

The day we lost two Tests was 3 Sep 1949, the all-white team 3-9 to Sethfricka in Durban after the all-inclusive XV went down 6-11 to your lot in Wellington. I wasn't there at the time, but I'm told the sun did eventually rise on 4 Sep :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looks like Joe Schmidt will be sticking with Ireland & Vern Cotter's going back to Top 14, ergo Chiefs need to find themselves another replacement for Rennie. Also makes it even more likely that Foster will succeed Hansen (yeah, I know, I'm checking out flights to Pitcairn (one way, of course) right now :))

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...y-to-turn-back-on-return-to-new-zealand-rugby

Schmidt has re-signed with Ireland until 2019 RWC:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11735048

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
They’re fudging it. Keeping the powder dry for their next tests, their very next tests, a goddamn test series vs the Lions. That pitch and putter 50/50 bullshit? CHICANERY. Shelved the possession and offload game and had a burl at dinky kicky poos behind the centres into space.

Much like reducing the RWC pool games to fudge-o-rama fuckarounds they’ve only gone and done the same thing with the EOYT. The paying fans? Fuck the paying fans. We’re just here for the media ops and to keep the powder dry.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
They’re fudging it. Keeping the powder dry for their next tests, their very next tests, a goddamn test series vs the Lions. That pitch and putter 50/50 bullshit? CHICANERY. Shelved the possession and offload game and had a burl at dinky kicky poos behind the centres into space.

Much like reducing the RWC pool games to fudge-o-rama fuckarounds they’ve only gone and done the same thing with the EOYT. The paying fans? Fuck the paying fans. We’re just here for the media ops and to keep the powder dry.
so who new DP, both very f***ing funny and ASTUTE

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Persistent rumours that Cruden's close to signing with Montpellier but with competition from La Rochelle. Supposedly Dagg & Fekitoa met with Boudjellal while in Paris, coupla other clubs interested in Dagg but only Toulon in Fekitoa. BSmith apparently in talks with Pau.

Really, really hope we can keep Smith & Dagg through to 2019 & it'd be good to have Cruden around a while longer until the next gen of AB 10's emerges but not too fussed if Fekitoa goes, he has (to put it politely) plateaued this year.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Barely matters who stays iHomo, always someone coming through. Anton Lienert Brown. Holy shit. He looked OK for the Chiefs but then pulls on an AB jersey and bam, suddenly he’s Conrad Smith looking at a similar 10 year tenure

Fekitoa can bog off. Still dining out on the mastications of a couple of flash runs for the Highlanders 2 years ago. All provincial bias aside, he’s a poor man’s Francis Saili. Now there’s a talent who got hiffed too early. Why didn’t they “invest” 2 plodding whole seasons in him instead of Fekitoa? Still, I suppose Fekitoa did the job on D. Never really should’ve been there though hashtag#SBW&Ngatai

One of the coaches (FOSTER) is going to have to be delegated to bravely confront seemingly tenured props Franks & Moody and ask them “um guys, over the break could you please perhaps work a little tiny bit on your lateral movement a wee bit so you don’t fall off so many FUCKING TACKLES around the fringes of the rucks ok that’d be great thanks guyz”

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This should help player retention-wise:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...t-big-pay-rise-in-latest-collective-agreement

Player payment pool up from $121Mn to $191Mn over the next three years & several what could be termed slush funds as well e.g. a one-off $35K if you've played five years of provincial footy & are still on someone's books; $24.8Mn top up fund that will be used to hopefully keep e.g. Ben Smith in NZ for at least a coupla more years. All on the back of increased TV rights & sponsorship plus the $40Mn NZRU expect to make from the B&IL tour next year.

EDIT: I should point out that NZRU pays Super Rugby players salaries directly & gives provincial Unions a grant to cover those salaries, up to the salary cap limits which are the lesser of a gross $ amount or a set % of the Super Rugby entity or Union's total revenue. So a very different model to Australia's & not really possible to compare the two (doesn't stop journos & others trying, tho :))

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Owen Franks has signed on for another three years:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...king-around-till-next-world-cup-with-new-deal

Meanwhile Munster are allegedly looking to raise some private € to land Ben Smith:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-in-bidding-war-for-all-blacks-star-ben-smith

As an aside, is Ireland's policy of only one Ireland-ineligible player per position across the provinces (so if Smith's at Munster no other province is allowed an ineligible fullback) still in effect?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
oh shit. Does that "season" include the Lions? Surely.

anyway, Tenured Owen Franks just got even more tenured.

Madness from Charlie. OFranks only plays 43 mins before he waddles off then on comes Charlie. Still, maybe not so mad, he'll be on the mad bucks now. With his ball handling skills he could be on John Afoa $$ in a coupla years

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You guys are pretty smart, virtually all of your contracted blokes are locked into playing both Super and NPC in a Calendar year.

Would imagine that if there's a little bit of money greasing hands, he'd be off after the Super Season, otherwise he'll be joining the team late October ala Woody, Wellington and Bristol this year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure if this will help or hinder NZRU's efforts to keep Dagg:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/87954640/all-black-israel-daggs-wife-expecting-first-child

On the one hand he may come under some pressure to keep bub close to the koro & kuia, Maori grandparents can be quite firm about that in my experience, on the other he may feel the need to maximise his earning potential while he still can & set themselves plus any future bub(s) up for life. Quite the quandary.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

GAHHHH, how many more sleeps until I can read the Woman’s Day article in full? HOW MNANY?

ahh.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
image.jpeg

Four or five, depending on time zones & suchlike (& don't be pretending you're not gunna rush on down to Gunston's General Store to score you a copy before they all get sold & the covers framed for posterity :))