• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Hansen prefer his 12's huge with dreadlocks and a good shoulder charge which he will call a tackle. So don't think he will play Carter there. Me personally I will play Freuen there. You are already the best side. Head and shoulders above the rest give him a go what do you have to lose? Maybe you turned him into Beast mode and he becomes another great. Who knows.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not doubting the all-mighty Carter, but is his defence up to playing at 12? He'd have to make a lot more tackles there than at 10.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Carter is a great defender but I don't think it is in his best interest, if he wants to play to the 2015 RWC, to place himself in that channel when he is injury prone as it is. A Cruden-Carter first and second five combo would be run at all day.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah they like to do the in out on defense as well where 10 drift onto 12 12 onto 13 13 blitz. So you will really have Carter and Cruden covering the opposing teams midfield which is not the best idea

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
An someone explain to me something?
I want to know how selection works in NZ. If a player from Fiji or Samoa or any island doesn't have a parent from NZ can they be selected to play for New Zealand?
Exactly the same as anyone, as Roffs C pointed out, they have to be resident in NZ same as Australia,England ,scotland,SA with players from overseas. Probably only difference between NZ & Oz is they are permitted to play S15 etc while still being able to play for Island, actually from what I recall Samoa in last world cup had 15 players from NZ, most that were born there. And you actually a little wrong Rassie, as I said huge percentage of these players a born in NZ, ever since NZ changed rules back in late 70s.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Me personally I will play Freuen there. You are already the best side. Head and shoulders above the rest give him a go what do you have to lose? Maybe you turned him into Beast mode and he becomes another great. Who knows.
The only real probelm with Fruean is his health issues, leading to his fitness etc, Hansen has actually explained that in one of his interviews.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
The only real probelm with Fruean is his health issues, leading to his fitness etc, Hansen has actually explained that in one of his interviews.
We don't get to see Hansen interviews here. Only time we get Kiwi's here is when they retire and come put up shop here

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Exactly the same as anyone, as Roffs C pointed out, they have to be resident in NZ same as Australia,England ,scotland,SA with players from overseas. Probably only difference between NZ & Oz is they are permitted to play S15 etc while still being able to play for Island, actually from what I recall Samoa in last world cup had 15 players from NZ, most that were born there. And you actually a little wrong Rassie, as I said huge percentage of these players a born in NZ, ever since NZ changed rules back in late 70s.
Of course people born in NZ will go to school in NZ. But those who are not born there actually will have stayed that 36 month period in NZ as where else can they go to school basically when looking at the illiteracy rate of the other Islands?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep sorry Rassie, I forget everyone not like me and trawl through kiwi rugby stuff, you no doubt rightfully do ot with SA rugby. Anyway, not sure if you realise Fruean has a heart problem, that took him out of rugby as a 19yo, and although he has obviously come back somewhat, he has to do a lot more work than rest of Crusaders squad just to keep up fitness, it also one of reasons (I think) he goes missing in games for a little bit,just basically getting breathing right again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Poor bastard. There are some real battlers out there playing professional rugby overcoming obstacles that most others do not have to overcome.

Pretty sure that Nathan Charles (Force) has Cystic Fibrosis. Brave as.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Carter shitted himself when Tuilagi ran straight at him
I think if you have another look at that there was a mis-communication between he and Nonu. Nonu was within "inches" of Tuilagi and then drifted off him.
I could be wrong: its a while since i looked at it but i had several looks at it at the time because you dont see too many errors from DC.
On a more important note the great man DC tweeted this:
Sometimes you receive bad news. Take it on the chin, move forward & be positive!
https://twitter.com/DanCarter/statuses/341335472288710657

Have googled it and cant work out what it is a reference to.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ok - this from Dan's Facebook page - but from a fan not him:
All Blacks five-eighth Dan Carter is in doubt for the first Test against France. Carter has a fractured bone in his right hand, with All Blacks management to make a decision on his fitness on Thursday.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I wonder how Ranger would go at 12. I think he is the best NZ back in Super Rugby at the moment and he's wasted at wing - not to mention that I don't think he has the top-end speed to be a Test wing.

I talk about this guy a lot but I've been watching him a few years now and he gets better with every season. His discipline has improved outta sight this year, he busts tackles, he creates line breaks, works hard at the break-down, pilfers the ball, scores tries......he deserves a chance at Test rugby in the mid-field I reckon.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Bullrush

I've actually been thinking the same thing recently. Obviously if Smith is healthy he has 13 sewn up and there are too many quality outside backs right now.

Can Ranger throw the cut out like Nonu can is my biggest question though. If not I don't see why they can't use him like they used SBW. His offloading is quite good and he runs much, much harder than Sonny.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Bullrush

I've actually been thinking the same thing recently. Obviously if Smith is healthy he has 13 sewn up and there are too many quality outside backs right now.

Can Ranger throw the cut out like Nonu can is my biggest question though. If not I don't see why they can't use him like they used SBW. His offloading is quite good and he runs much, much harder than Sonny.

Yep....that's the one question I couldn't look you in the eye and answer honestly. In saying that, that pass didn't come into Nonu's game until a few years later.

I'm not saying that he doesn't have it but I just can't remember seeing it.

He threw a cut-out on Sat nite that was a bit of a loopy-ol thing but I think saw an intercept was on if he'd just thrown it straight to the wing. It got tipped by the defender who jumped to try and get to it but if it had gone to hand, Naholo could have been in.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
As I recall Nonu was a pretty average passer for a while, it was his marauding runs that made him a selection early years, then became the complete package. I'd think Ranger would be an ideal sub in, but interesting times when Conrad's clock is ticking. Could see a reversal to a more traditional five eight amd rangermat 13.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Luke Braid surely isn't far from the cut too......the guy has a massive engine and gets a frikkin heap load of work....

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bullrush

He's more the latter USA. His offload game is very good. But his best work IMO is with space when he is one on one with a defender. That's why I really like him on the wing.

I think he will be the ideal bench option should they go with Dagg at FB and B. Smith and Savea on the wings.