• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep sorry Rassie, I forget everyone not like me and trawl through kiwi rugby stuff, you no doubt rightfully do ot with SA rugby. Anyway, not sure if you realise Fruean has a heart problem, that took him out of rugby as a 19yo, and although he has obviously come back somewhat, he has to do a lot more work than rest of Crusaders squad just to keep up fitness, it also one of reasons (I think) he goes missing in games for a little bit,just basically getting breathing right again.
Didn't know that. That is sad to hear. Anyways here is something to tap your feet to. Uploaded it this morning

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I think if you have another look at that there was a mis-communication between he and Nonu. Nonu was within "inches" of Tuilagi and then drifted off him.
I could be wrong: its a while since i looked at it but i had several looks at it at the time because you dont see too many errors from DC.
On a more important note the great man DC tweeted this:

Have googled it and cant work out what it is a reference to.
Nonu would miss him because NZ use the in to out system. 10 covers 12 12 covers 13 Conrad blitzes. England send Tuilagi down Carters channel and he got knocked over. The Barrett try think was a miscommunication cause Conrad did what he was suppose to do that is blitz but Nonu did not drift.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nonu would miss him because NZ use the in to out system. 10 covers 12 12 covers 13 Conrad blitzes. England send Tuilagi down Carters channel and he got knocked over. The Barrett try think was a miscommunication cause Conrad did what he was suppose to do that is blitz but Nonu did not drift.
Smith doesnt blitz - both he and Nonu are slower up than DC: but that's a reflection of Henry's view of the best defensive pattern I assume - given that I have heard him recommend that each man outside trail the man inside - which is different to the league straight line system employed in Aus.
I think they're all facing an attacking pattern they dont recognise.
Nonu seems to realise that there's actually no backline to drift onto because all the poms are in a small area no wider than him: see @ 47 secs in.
I would have thought they would have employed a man-on outside shoulder system for this game to counter the size of Tuilagi and relieve the pressure on DC.
He was there for Nonu to take but he was also there for DC to take.
Only they know.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Smith doesnt blitz - both he and Nonu are slower up than DC: but that's a reflection of Henry's view of the best defensive pattern I assume - given that I have heard him recommend that each man outside trail the man inside - which is different to the league straight line system employed in Aus.
I think they're all facing an attacking pattern they dont recognise.
Nonu seems to realise that there's actually no backline to drift onto because all the poms are in a small area no wider than him: see @ 47 secs in.
I would have thought they would have employed a man-on outside shoulder system for this game to counter the size of Tuilagi and relieve the pressure on DC.
He was there for Nonu to take but he was also there for DC to take.
Only they know.

Tuilagi was playing 13 and Barret 12. Did you see Conrad jumping out the line which created a hole due to Nonu not being on the inside? Against teams that lack skills like against SA and England they will employ such things as the blitz by second last man that is the12. That is to hurry them in the decision making.

NZ use the in to out hybrid cause they have a 9 who is a good tackler. Barret being the 12 Carter was expecting Barrett but they cleverly switched which created a one on one and a size mismatch.

Wayne Smith

It could be argued that one big reason for all the southern hemisphere victories in Britain in recent weeks lies in their defensive superiority. All the southern hemisphere teams adopt variations on the traditional union drift style of defence. Argentina have been particularly effective at it during the international season.

They may push up in the middle of the pitch, even rush sometimes, but outside they hold off and drift. Southern hemisphere defenders stalk the attackers and force them into making decisions. The centre and wings in the outside channels hold their positions for as long as possible before they commit.

This in-to-out defence allows teams to recover. If you can hold the attacker and make him think, something the likes of Conrad Smith or the Stormers are particularly good at, then it buys time for others to get across and help out.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Tuilagi was playing 13 and Barret 12. Did you see Conrad jumping out the line which created a hole due to Nonu not being on the inside? Against teams that lack skills like against SA and England they will employ such things as the blitz by second last man that is the12. That is to hurry them in the decision making.

NZ use the in to out hybrid cause they have a 9 who is a good tackler. Barret being the 12 Carter was expecting Barrett but they cleverly switched which created a one on one and a size mismatch.

Wayne Smith
I don't follow: the break was made between nonu and carter.
The poms had 3(?) players virtually in line with Nonu, Smith was uninvolved though not irrelevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hard to dislike Sir Richie (Hands off Black 7) GOAT after reading this article.

From today's NZ Herald
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10897466

Reasons not to hate the GOAT
1. He makes his comeback to rugby via his club - Christchurch.
2. He attends training just like the rest of the mob.
3. He is not the club team Captain.
4. He was not wanted by the National School Boy Selectors.
5. He goes out of his way to contribute to the Club, insisting on signing his NZRU contract at the Club.
6. When he's in town he'll suddenly appear at the club and he's always been exceptionally good towards us. Of course he's like the pied piper to the children when he does turn up.
"I remember arriving for a meeting one day at 5.30 and watching Richie head to a junior weigh-in where there were hundreds of kids. I thought he'd be there for half an hour but when I left two hours later he was still there.
"He doesn't just pay lip service - he really goes out of his way. Those are the sorts of things he does; he's a special person and carries a tremendous amount of respect.
7. Mustchin says: "Richie popped into the club last year, spotted Mum and Dad and went over to have a drink with them. I know he's got a lot of time for them and they have a lot of time for Richie.
"He's kept the club close to his heart through everything he's done with the All Blacks and I'm sure he's looking forward to it as much as everyone else."

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Messam v Kaino for the ABs 6 jersey.wow.

I would argue Luatua deserves to stay in the convo. He's such a great fit for the 6 jersey with his lineout jumping, high workrate, and ability to switch to lock if required.

That being said, I'd be afraid of the Blues next year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tha young pup Luatua is more of a threat to us than Messam, and Sir John will have both Luatua and Kaino to throw at the Tahs in Soup, and Hansen faces the same coaches dream dilemna at NZ level.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd say Kaino and Luatua are some TRUE blindside flankers. Messam is more than capable in the role but very much a 6/8 mix.

My money is on Kaino to get the role but Luatua will be snapping at the heels the whole way.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd say Kaino and Luatua are some TRUE blindside flankers. Messam is more than capable in the role but very much a 6/8 mix.

My money is on Kaino to get the role but Luatua will be snapping at the heels the whole way.

Messam is a player who simply doesn't fit the mould of an international 6 but by sheer will and effort pushed his way past Vito into that jersey.

Good on him, but you'd suggest that eventually either Vito or Kaino will find form or Luatua will become the player we expect he will.

I really like Messam but he's like a better Jarrad Saffy, he just doesn't really fit a position.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I would argue Luatua deserves to stay in the convo. He's such a great fit for the 6 jersey with his lineout jumping, high workrate, and ability to switch to lock if required.

That being said, I'd be afraid of the Blues next year.

Yeah you're right, can't believe I forgot about Luatua, he's been outstanding this year and has looked more like a 60 test veteran than someone playing his first international season. With Vito there as well there's some massive competition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With Cory Jane back on the park in the ITM cup, embarrassment of riches springs to mind about the current state of NZ Rugby.

With Sir Ruchie GOAT and Daniel Goldenfoot on the way out sometime next decade, there are amply good'uns ready to step into their boots without a beat.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
The EOYT will see experimentation at 13 because Conrad Smith is talking a sabbatical -either Ben Smith of Charles Piutau +a couple of young hookers being taken - I'd say Liam Coltman and one more.

And SBW is back next year or the year after.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The EOYT will see experimentation at 13 because Conrad Smith is talking a sabbatical -either Ben Smith of Charles Piutau +a couple of young hookers being taken - I'd say Liam Coltman and one more.

And SBW is back next year or the year after.

Not the first, and maybe not the second.

Hansen will need to start grooming a replacement for Hey Nonu Nonu for RWC 2015.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not the first, and maybe not the second.

Hansen will need to start grooming a replacement for Hey Nonu Nonu for RWC 2015.

Is Savea that replacement though?

He had a handy first season, but despite not being a shrieking violet he's not cut from the SBW/Nonu mould and he's a bit of a naughty boy.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Hard to dislike Sir Richie (Hands off Black 7) GOAT after reading this article.

From today's NZ Herald
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10897466

Reasons not to hate the GOAT
1. He makes his comeback to rugby via his club - Christchurch.
2. He attends training just like the rest of the mob.
3. He is not the club team Captain.
4. He was not wanted by the National School Boy Selectors.
5. He goes out of his way to contribute to the Club, insisting on signing his NZRU contract at the Club.
6. When he's in town he'll suddenly appear at the club and he's always been exceptionally good towards us. Of course he's like the pied piper to the children when he does turn up.
"I remember arriving for a meeting one day at 5.30 and watching Richie head to a junior weigh-in where there were hundreds of kids. I thought he'd be there for half an hour but when I left two hours later he was still there.
"He doesn't just pay lip service - he really goes out of his way. Those are the sorts of things he does; he's a special person and carries a tremendous amount of respect.
7. Mustchin says: "Richie popped into the club last year, spotted Mum and Dad and went over to have a drink with them. I know he's got a lot of time for them and they have a lot of time for Richie.
"He's kept the club close to his heart through everything he's done with the All Blacks and I'm sure he's looking forward to it as much as everyone else."
gaaawwdd...he's like beer you love it even though you know its going to cause you the biggest headache ever...hope my kids grow up like him....s..t did i just say that........:eek: