1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by Hugh Jarse, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Dismal Pillock John Hipwell (52)

I want DMac nowhere near that shit. Since when has sideways running EVER worked at test match level? SINCE NEVER. Arrogant of him to think "heyyyy... but maybe... it'll work for me!" Meanwhile sideways and backwards and around and around he goes until he runs out of options and hospital passes some poor backpedalling teammate - who has NO IDEA wft the headless little chook is doing - straight into the wood chipper

would love to see

1 Lomax
    2 Aumua
    3 Fidow
    4 Pat T
    5 Tom Robinson
    6 Cane
    7 Papali'i
    8 Akira

that is a big fuck-you-up forward pack. None of this Ffsffita/Dick Frizzle decorative workshy bullshit. except maybe Akira if he had too much lunch sometimes

9. Smith
    10. Mounga
    11. Ioane
    12. Laumape
    13. Goodhue
    14. Reece
    15. BB
  2. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

I'm with WOB. I think Goodhue is a natural No 12 and the best going round in NZ and ALB is a better No 13. I think I'd have to shoe-horn Lam in there too.

After the way the Brumbies handled DMac so that he looked light a rabbit caught in headlights, I'd be very happy to see him in the ABs against the Wallabies.
  3. KiwiM Watty Friend (18)

Lam is no chance of being an AB - he's 28 years old and just signed for France next season. He's also goes missing way too often in big games.

Telea is someone who is putting his hand up but one area where he really needs work is under the high ball - Crusaders and Canes both put him under pressure big time in that aspect.

Rieko had a very encouraging display at 13 on Saturday. He's certainly looking far more like his old self so far this season which is good.
  4. eastman Darby Loudon (17)

So one average game for the Chiefs and we forget about the occasions where DMac has absolutely run rings around us in Test and Super Rugby. NZ are lucky they have the luxury of having so many options- DMac would walk into the Wallaby team.
  5. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

That would be close WOB, but Ioane hasn't even played more than 1 game at 11 since being dropped, he got a bit to do as yet.
    Think Weber be close to getting reserve 9 spot to
  6. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

7. Rugby Head Frank Nicholson (4)

Does anyone else agree that Du'Plessis Kirifi isn’t supporting his body weight 9/10 whenever he goes for a pilfer? To me, he has his elbows on the floor or knees resting on the tackled player every time.
    Jimmy_Crouch, Dan54 and qwerty51 like this.
  8. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

NZRU's shares in Sky NZ are worth $16m less than when they signed the deal. :eek:
    RebelYell likes this.
  9. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

haha almost like he learnt of Pocock isn't it?? But you right I do wonder..
  10. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-announces-a-20-per-cent-cut-across-the-board

TLDR: All NZR staff incl Board & AB management group taking a 40% pay cut for three months initially after which it'll be reviewed; negotiations with RUPA re: what cut the players will take still in progress (I'd advise RUPA to get it done quickly, pretty much everyone in the country is looking at a minimum 20% pay cut & will be mightily pissed off if the players aren't seen to be sharing the pain); each SR franchise will be granted $250K to keep the lights on.
    Dan54 likes this.
  11. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

12. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

Dismal Pillock likes this.
  13. Dismal Pillock John Hipwell (52)

Unnamed Ex-Auckland Blues Assistant Coach Bans All Canterbury Rugby Players From Physical Exercise.

--NZ Herald--

In the face of Crusader rugby players persisting in ignoring the nationwide lockdown rules, an unnamed ex-Auckland Blues assistant coach has taken the unprecedented step of banning all Canterbury rugby players from any form of physical exercise whatsoever "until it's safe".

[IMG]

"Yeah look, none of us wanted it to come to this but the Cantabs just continue to keep flouting the nationwide lockdown rules don't they? The only real recourse we have left is to ban all Cantab rugby representatives from any physical activity until the virus has been completely and utterly 100% eradicated worldwide. How long will that take? Look, I'm no ephemeralogist. Although, as a safety precaution, I have had a word with the local SAS lads and they've been issued shoot-on-sight orders. Yes, I provided the SAS lads with detailed resume mugshots of the 23 or so targets I mean likely offenders. Look, there's nothing more I can do about it now, it's out of my hands, no more questions."
    Dan54 and zer0 like this.
  14. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

AB's about to accept a 10% cut to their base salary & forgo bonuses, including assembly fees ($7,500 per player per week, I think, so well over a $3Mn saving assuming 28 players assemble for 14 matches plus two to four camps), and any provincial veteran bonus (not sure how many qualify, nor what the kind of $ we're talking about on that one).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...cks-stars-to-take-10-per-cent-pay-cut--report
  15. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

I know it not really NZ team talk, but wonder did anyone watch the Gatland interview on Breakdown the other night? I know I a bloody rugby tragic , but I was absorbed from beginning to end, even wife commented how interesting it seemed to be, mind you maybe because she could see how much I enjoyed it!
  16. zer0 Alan Cameron (40)

So Rugby Pass have selected hypothetical North and South Island teams.

[IMG]

Though it seems to be selected by birthplace, which really handicaps the South Island. See, for instance, some of the better players not in the North Island squad:

Vince Aso
    Asafo Aumua
    Otere Black
    Lachlan Boshier
    Caleb Clarke
    Braydon Ennor
    Gareth Evans
    TJ Faiane
    Blake Gibson
    Akira Ioane
    Josh Ioane
    Du'Plessis Kirifi
    Tom Robinson
    Hoskins Sotutu
    Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi
    Tanielu Tele’a
    Brad Weber

Meanwhile, the South Island team is one injury away from having Brett Cameron on the field.
    Dan54 likes this.
  17. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

Geez that a couple of reasonable team right there zer0.
  18. zer0 Alan Cameron (40)

It has been brought to my attention that Brett Cameron is not a Cantab but is, in truth, from Whanganui.

On the one hand, it disappoints me that he isn't a genuine Canterbury born and raised wet fart of a first five. On the other hand, that is a Blues level recruitment oopsie from the Cantabs and Crusaders, so that makes me feel good. Perhaps better than before, even.
    Dismal Pillock likes this.
  19. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

RoffsChoice likes this.
  20. Dan54 Paul McLean (56)

Also on the players getting pretty organised with working out comp formats, watching Breakdown and Sam Cane was on it (well from home) and when they talked of the idea of ABs playing provincial rugby his eyes lit up , saying yep I a Blue and Yellow man through and through, it did occur to me how excited some of these players are at the thought of getting back to their provinces, Aaron Smith was the same a couple of weeks back!