• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Braveheart Why all the Beale love?

Can you honestly be happy with his performance last week? Your bias if you think that was a satisfactory performance.

I'm all for giving a player a chance to prove himself, personally I'd prefer Foley this week but I'd understand an argument for giving Beale another shot.

I can't understand however that people are happy with his performance last week. Against the best team in the world that is just not good enough.

T

Tip

Braveheart, you were one of Quade Coopers chief knockers when he was reinstated in the 10 jersey last year.

The criticisms you levelled at him (Standing too deep, crabbing, weak in defence and in contact) are the same being levelled at Beale - except Beale was much, much worse.

This is what I call the pot calling the kettle black.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Braveheart Why all the Beale love?

Can you honestly be happy with his performance last week? Your bias if you think that was a satisfactory performance.

I'm all for giving a player a chance to prove himself, personally I'd prefer Foley this week but I'd understand an argument for giving Beale another shot.

I can't understand however that people are happy with his performance last week. Against the best team in the world that is just not good enough.

They were atrocious conditions. Our 9 was our worst player. Our 10 and 12 both made errors as did everyone who touched the ball a lot.

I think Beale put in a solid enough performance in the wet and he kicked 4 from 5 which is a good result for a goal kicker even if he missed one of his easier kicks. He made his two hardest attempts which balances that out.

Why all the Foley love? He had three shots starting at 10 against France and didn't perform particularly well in any of the tests.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Braveheart, you were one of Quade Coopers chief knockers when he was reinstated in the 10 jersey last year.

The criticisms you levelled at him (Standing too deep, crabbing, weak in defence and in contact) are the same being levelled at Beale - except Beale was much, much worse.

This is what I call the pot calling the kettle black.

For fucks sake look at the conditions we played in on Saturday night.

I'll be the first to criticise him if he plays poorly in good conditions this weekend.

Do you not think a poor performance by the halfback has some impact on how the backline performs?

For all the love of Foley, he came on with his opposition player in the bin and couldn't create the opportunity for the win in the closing minutes.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm strongly against Beale at 10. But BH has valid points. Foley didn't set the world alight in June as I was happy to argue against anybody who said Quade would struggle to get back.

Perhaps Link decided that it wasn't enough for us to get where we needed to be?

What's our other options? To'ouma to 10? Then who plays 12? Beale? I see what we have now as a better option than that.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
They were atrocious conditions. Our 9 was our worst player. Our 10 and 12 both made errors as did everyone who touched the ball a lot.

I think Beale put in a solid enough performance in the wet and he kicked 4 from 5 which is a good result for a goal kicker even if he missed one of his easier kicks. He made his two hardest attempts which balances that out.

Why all the Foley love? He had three shots starting at 10 against France and didn't perform particularly well in any of the tests.

There's not much Foley love here. Cooper is miles ahead of both of them combined.

I'd simply prefer Foley over Beale because in the 10minutes he was on the field he threatened the line, which was more the what Beale did all game.

Against France Foley also kicked his kicks. But he didn't get turned over in contact twice like Beale did last week.

Basically you said Beale had a solid performance because he kicked his goals - no mention of anything else he did. Foley is arguably a better kicker - he kicks ahead of him in the Tahs.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes. He muffed the kick to win the first test when the turf ripped out from under him.

Did he play 10 in that series?

He tried to didn't he. I can't remember you keep brining up the pass and all I remember it hasn't been pretty.

Anyway, Hope Beale plays better for you this week. Wallabies beldisole future is counting on him being the chief play maker and all.

T

Train Without a Station

Didn't JOC (James O'Connor) start at 10 and play 80 minutes in every match?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's not much Foley love here. Cooper is miles ahead of both of them combined.

I'd simply prefer Foley over Beale because in the 10minutes he was on the field he threatened the line, which was more the what Beale did all game.

Against France Foley also kicked his kicks. But he didn't get turned over in contact twice like Beale did last week.

Basically you said Beale had a solid performance because he kicked his goals - no mention of anything else he did. Foley is arguably a better kicker - he kicks ahead of him in the Tahs.

In the 10 minutes he was on Foley didn't have an opposing number. You'd hope he looked good.

Cooper is unavailable. It's irrelevant to the discussion right now.

How about we judge after a game in reasonable conditions? We're currently comparing a game played in atrocious conditions against the All Blacks to 3 tests in good weather against an average French side.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a good reason Foley was allowed more space too, next penalty wins. You don't push the offside line and race up to shut him down.

T

Tip

For fucks sake look at the conditions we played in on Saturday night.

I'll be the first to criticise him if he plays poorly in good conditions this weekend.

Do you not think a poor performance by the halfback has some impact on how the backline performs?

For all the love of Foley, he came on with his opposition player in the bin and couldn't create the opportunity for the win in the closing minutes.

Since when does bad weather give your number 10 the license stand too deep and run sideways? If anything it should be the complete opposite.

A good tradesmen doesn't blame his tools, nor his halfback who provided decent enough service all game. Whites errors were his own, but one thing he was NOT guilty of was shovelling shit onto Beale.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Since when does bad weather give your number 10 the license stand too deep and run sideways? If anything it should be the complete opposite.

A good tradesmen doesn't blame his tools, nor his halfback who provided decent enough service all game. Whites errors were his own, but one thing he was NOT guilty of was shovelling shit onto Beale.

You thought White's service was good? Really?

Do you think any fly half plays as flat as they normally do when it's pouring with rain and the ball is harder to handle and the passing to them is less consistent? Really?

Anyway, this conversation is getting ridiculous. Your hatred of Beale seems to be almost apoplectic.

All I'm saying is that I thought our team played well given the conditions, Beale wasn't terrible and that I thought McKenzie would give the same team another shot. If any player was going to be dropped it would have been White who had a bit of a 'mare.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
All the more reason to carry 3 hookers then innit, hopefully one or other of the young up-and-comers will be at training all week & ready to step in if Coles or Kev wake up with a sore leg on Saturday...

And that 3rd hooker is.....

They've brought 3 different hookers into AB camps this year alone, the search is definitely on, but none warrant selection right now whilst Coles and Kev are okay to play.

Coles only has a mild strain according to reports. He definitely wasn't showing symptoms given he was performing well before he went off. More a precautionary substitution I think.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
is there a top tier kiwi prop that covers Hooker as well?

We had one a few years ago that made the ABs in Aled DeMalmache. Many thought he should've stuck with prop given his throwing was rubbish and the fact he wasn't getting game time at hooker with Hore and Mealamu (and flynn) preferred.

There's a hooker that plays for Auckland and the Blues that can play a bit of both, but not really an option for higher honours.

Status
Not open for further replies.