• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Is To'omua that much of a lock-in that he should be starting over Beale at 12?

I've always thought Beale was at his most dangerous running off a playmaker or counter attacking from fullback.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we need To'omua's defence at 12.

Playing Beale at 12 would require more compromise with Horne defending there or something.

I think they should flip around a bit more though. To'omua mostly just played first receiver when we wanted to kick in the first test. A bit more To'omua first receiver and Beale wider out would be a good plan in attack. Maybe combined with McCabe moving a bit closer in providing a potential running option. He's a superb hole runner.

T

Train Without a Station

With Beale at 12 you have a, in all fairness, rubbish defender whom you have to hide. In addition you have a player who is probably the weakest in contact in attack out of the entire side, so rather than a quick shovel when you do need to crash, you need to bring somebody else in.

To'omua surely is our first choice 12. He offers the 2nd playmaker that is desired, whilst being one of the best defenders and hitters in the backline. he also offers a good straight running and crashing game for a player who is a second playmaker. It's no coincidence that his performances have only been questioned when he has played outside a 10 who has copped a fair bit of criticism.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think the Beale detractors don't want him ANYWHERE in the side, not only at 10..if he was chosen at 12 they would still be up him as he can't defend there..I suggested putting him on the wing (and still do longer term) but that got shot down by all and sundry..the best place for him is probably at fullback, but they will be out in force then if that happens (assuming a valid reason Folau is out) because apparently he is shite under the high ball too..

maybe if White has another crap game he can have a go at halfback..

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
To explain the depths of my idiocy, I was actually referring to Conrad. I was temporarily green/yellow colour blind. Medical experts remain baffled.

Now let's move on before I look even more like a rank amateur. ;)

Next thing you'll be predicting the Reds to win the 2015 Super 15

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
None at Rosevile. But possibly one at the back of the pub at Roseville.
Maybe you could bribe the restauranter to put a TV in the corner.

Roseville Chinese Restaurant and also a Mediterranean one - opposite the Caltex petrol station heading up from Roseville Bridge.

T

Tip

Quite simply, yes.

I would consider him a guaranteed selection along with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, and soon to be Speight.....

Slipper, Kepu, Palu, To'omua, Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Folau would be the only guaranteed starting XV selections (injury permitting) for the Rugby World Cup at this stage.

Every other position has/ will have players breathing down their necks and it's not a bad problem to have.

Moore / TPN / Charles
Simmons, Carter, Horwill, Skelton
Fardy / Higgers
Hooper / Pocock
White/Genia/Phipps
Cooper/Foley/Beale
Hunt / JO'C

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
They were atrocious conditions. Our 9 was our worst player. Our 10 and 12 both made errors as did everyone who touched the ball a lot.

I think Beale put in a solid enough performance in the wet and he kicked 4 from 5 which is a good result for a goal kicker even if he missed one of his easier kicks. He made his two hardest attempts which balances that out.

Why all the Foley love? He had three shots starting at 10 against France and didn't perform particularly well in any of the tests.

Braveheart81 "atrocious conditions" - mate you have to be kidding

Plenty of drizzle - I was at the ground and I don't recall a downpour.

An example of "Atrocious conditions" was when we played Scotland in Newcastle a couple of years ago

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i am not a fan of beale at 10, but i am a fan, and he should be the super sub at about the 55-60 min mark to run riot against a tiring defence. personally i think a phipps,foley To'omua inside combination looks best, but accept that not changing the lineup for this test is the right thing to do (this week !)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slipper, Kepu, Palu, To'omua, Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Folau would be the only guaranteed starting XV selections (injury permitting) for the Rugby World Cup at this stage.

Every other position has/ will have players breathing down their necks and it's not a bad problem to have.

Just amended my statement as I was only referring to the backline.........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Braveheart81 "atrocious conditions" - mate you have to be kidding

Plenty of drizzle - I was at the ground and I don't recall a downpour.

An example of "Atrocious conditions" was when we played Scotland in Newcastle a couple of years ago

It was more than drizzle. It rained consistently in the lead up and right through the game. There was water pooling in various patches on the ground according to some of the media reporting from on the ground.

If the only conditions that can be described as atrocious was the Scotland game in Newcastle everything else will just be categorised as light rain. Kind of makes having any sort of scale a bit pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.