• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

To'omua has been disappointing. But a disappointing To'omua is still dominating contact, making tackles and probing the line with his runs, getting on the outside shoulder.

His kicking errors whilst unacceptable can be understandable. When we are under so much pressure, he is under pressure to take the risk and chew off as many meters as possible.

But kicking aside, if every player plays like To'omua, we generally match the opposition.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
my apologies, I don't read much of Bob's crap so I was unaware that he has been pushing that barrow for a while..I like to put these alternative views out there to see people's reactions, sometimes it's quite humorous ;)

there were some pearlers yesterday about Folau going to 13..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To'omua will stay at 12 but I think people are really deceiving themselves if they think he's been good in test rugby this season. He was only average against France and he has had two mediocre tests against the All Blacks. He's making errors and creating almost nothing in attack. He's been charged with doing a fair amount of the kicking game in general play and that has been poor. He hasn't been decisive in attack and is equally as guilty as Beale of crabbing across field. Maybe things will improve when Phipps and Foley come into 9 and 10 but To'omua has a lot to work on.

At this stage To'omua is a second playmaker in name only. He's not actually doing any of that. The only aspect of his game that has been decent is he has made some strong tackles in defence.

Our 9, 10 and 12 have been completely ineffectual in the two Bledisloes.

We are agreeing far too much for comfort!

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I expect a pretty big axe to fall across the team after two shithouse performances.

Sydney was poor and using the conditions as an excuse is even poorer. Saturday's embarrassment should see at least 3 of the pigs sidelined or dropped to prove a bloody point about softness and failure to do the basics severely punished. I've already said enough about the backline.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
AB's were awesome. Everything they touched turned to "gold", nearly everything we touched turned to shit. Ball security was terrible.

Of our piggies Slipper and Hooper can stand proud. The others really aren't worth making comments about. The fact that Slipper played the full 80 is a testament to the bloke. I just wish Hooper had some real dominance at the pilfering department.

Find it disappointing that both locks are not making metres. Carter is at risk from Horwill but will get one more chance against the Boks

Of our backs the only comment is overall performance was very poor.

Moving on the changes should be.
Phipps for White at 9
Foley for Kurtley at 10
Kuirinradi for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for McCabe (poor bugger - time to retire fella - think of the future)
Higgers for Fardy or Palu - take your pick.

Bring Robinson and Horwill onto bench - Skelton and Cowan to be sitting in the stands.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The physical domination we experienced will have impressed itself on the frontal lobe (figuratively and physically) of every player involved last night, and hopefully given them the understanding of what is required between now and the Boks game in two weeks.

If they didn't know before Saturday night then they're in trouble. I knew, like most punters did, that the ABs were going to pick up their physicality massively after what they would have felt was a poor performance in Sydney.

7 Hooper - getting criticism in parts for not being David Pocock o_Owhich is just fucking weird, given they're two different humans.Great try, but needed to pull the boys in line and remind them what the fuck they were out there for.

It's not a criticism of Hooper. It's just understanding that what the Wallabies desperately need right now is more like what Pocock used to bring to the table rather than what Hooper currently brings to it. Hooper is a fantastic player and there's no doubt about what he adds to the Wallabies - I just personally think it's not what you guys, and in particular your forward pack, really needs. Which is a shame really cos he plays his guts out every week and I don't think his captaincy was really at fault on the weekend. Honestly, if your captain has to tell you during a deciding Test for the Bledisloe Cup which you haven't held for 11yrs what the fuck you're out there for, hand in your green and gold jersey now.

8 Palu - very quiet game after a good performance in Sydney. Just didn't impose himself and was one of many forwards shooting out and disrupting our defence, chasing a big hit. Also dropped some ball taking a peek. Looked injured from about the 30 minute mark to me.

Didn't see the Sydney game so I can't comment on what he did there but I'm not surprised at all about his performance on Saturday. I don't care if he was injured or not from about 30min on, what you saw on Saturday is about what you will get from Palu for most of the Tests he plays against NZ and SA. I've said this over and over again here - Palu just doesn't cut it. The big hits and the big hits that Wallaby fans want to see and need to see from him just aren't there. They consistently are not there. Biggest hit I've ever seen him do in a Bledisloe game was against AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I don't know if he's any hope of ever coming back but geez you need a Ita Vaea-type guy running around.

To look at the game and say we weren't "mongrel" enough is to ignore the fact that we could gain no ascendancy while defending.

You simply can't win without the ball, and while you can put defensive pressure on, if your technical alignment isn't good enough, you can't sustain it. Defending is largely a reactionary thing - you must react to your opponent, because anticipation results more often than not in an offside penalty. Could we have had better line speed? Definitely. Could we have been more aggressive in contact? Yes.

But shelve your talk of "passion" please. It looked like a spineless performance, but if you take the first dozen tackles we made or missed, and turned them into shoudlers on bodies rather than flailing hands, then we can salvage some momentum from that. These guys don't lack passion: they lacked a bit of smarts about getting off the floor and getting their technique right in order to stay in the competition.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in the first sentence? This is one of the things I noticed when I first moved over and started playing club rugby. Why do you need to make tackling and defence so...so...so...technical?! I reckon you guys just over-think some of this. Just go and fucken smash the guy with the ball. Smoke him. And when he runs it again, smoke him again. In fact, 2 of us will smash him together and when he recycles the ball, the next 2 of us will smash the next AB who picks up the ball. Smash, get up, repeat.

And then we finally get the ball ourselves, roll the first guy who wants to tackle you. Even if he stops me, I'm gonna stand here while you struggle to put me to ground and look around for options or wait for support because your tackle was more of an inconvenience than anything damaging. In fact, you probably need to get a couple of your mates to help out next time. I don't know how to word all of this easily but fuck me - forget about defensive alignment and being reactionary and go and find someone to lay the smack down on.

I'm not trying to say that some of the technical stuff isn't important but fuck my life - if you don't LOVE just hitting someone else, running over someone, dominating your opposite, technical shit will NOT make-up for it. Hence my earlier post about finding some hard-arse mutha fuckers who want nothing else but hard fucken brutal contact.

I don't know if passion has anything to do with it but the Wallabies will ALWAYS struggle against the ABs if they don't get this right.

Before the game someone chucked out Skelton's name in relation to him smashing the ABs and I replied something along the lines of

"He's nothing new to us. We're used to hitting big island boys."

The comment was made on RadioSport in NZ this morning that when Skelton got on, it looked like the AB forwards were all lining up to have a crack at the big man. Like they couldn't wait for him get on so they could smash him. It's not reactionary at all. Skelton is a monster but being a monster on the field is more about an attitude and a mind-set rather than your size. I haven't seen that from him yet (admittedly I didn't watch many Waratah games this year) but if he does have it (or can find it) then he's just what the Wallaby pack needs.

I reckon you need at least 2 guys in your pack who just play like they don't.give.a.fuck.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The fact that Slipper played the full 80 is a testament to the bloke.

That, and simultaneously a damning statement about Cowan.

What Quade does so well is feed his forward runners. He is acutely aware of what is going on and where the opportunities are several phases ahead.

Touching on the point about forward runners for a second: on Saturday we had a shitload of forwards at first receiver, getting the ball thrown straight at them instead of if front of them, on the line, allowing them to crash into a static defender

Back to Quade: I've been a long time critic, and I even felt bad some days (for like a minute) because he was so easy to criticise in the face of rabid support from a small section of Queenslandia.

BUT he has pulled finger, and worked on things like his attitude and commitment, and this shows in his willingness to at least get his head into contact, and run AT the line rather than side-step-pass 5 metres behind it. Not to mention the hopp-skippy-get-smashed thing he took out of his repertoire and the "shit-quick-catch-this-hospital-pass-because-that-big-nasty-man-is-about-to-tackle-me!".

I would like to see him back just to double-check that last year's EOYT wasn't a false dawn, and I know a lot of people are fantasizing about what he's going to do.

But he's injured, so carry on rubbing yourselves, and in the meantime:

Foley.

Attacks the line, doesn't try an excessive amount of stupid things, and takes the pace that is on the ball and allows it to sing. He has a better awareness of space and options than Beale - even though in Sydney he didn't take the obvious one out wide when we could have won the game. More importantly, he's shown when he gets multiple touches, things go well.

People criticise his series against the Frogs (his first 3 starts in Test Rugby mind), and he didn't set the world alight, but we scored 12 tries in total.

If we lose, it won't be from Foley playing too deep, or being afraid to make a tackle, not taking the line on, or transferring pressure. He's a straight up player and is an enabler, not a superstar.

And we need to give him more time at 10 between now and the RWC, because if Quade goes down, its pretty fucking apparent that we're short of 10s yet again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fuck it. Let's just drop the lot of them. Who cares that we only have 2 players with a player offering any claim to their spot. Just drop them all. That will send the message!

I think it's more than that. Horwill deserves a crack in the 23 at least because Carter had a completely ineffectual game and made costly errors to compound that. Whether Horwill starts or you give Skelton a crack starting as he did against France is up for debate.

Higgers was good off the bench and Fardy was poor. He probably deserves a start based on that.

I get what you're saying but we have a squad and those guys on the bench and outside the 23 need to be trusted that they're not just there to hold tackling bags and likewise, the players in our 23 need to know that terrible performances come at a cost.

Phipps, Foley and the forced change for McCabe are enough changes in the backs.

T

Train Without a Station

I get what you're saying but we have a squad and those guys on the bench and outside the 23 need to be trusted that they're not just there to hold tackling bags and likewise, the players in our 23 need to know that terrible performances come at a cost.

That is a good point. But today why would we pick Horwill over Carter? Because he didn't have the opportunity to fuck up and tarnish his reputation?

We need to trust the pecking order, and reward good form. Like a punishing performance off the bench, or a dominant performance in the NRC. Not rewarding the bloke who didn't have the chance to look as bad.

Higginbotham had a good cameo. But did it indicate he will be better over 60 minutes than Fardy? All Higginbotham's 2014 has indicated is that consecutive good performances haven't been achievable.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I expect a pretty big axe to fall across the team after two shithouse performances.

Sydney was poor and using the conditions as an excuse is even poorer. Saturday's embarrassment should see at least 3 of the pigs sidelined or dropped to prove a bloody point about softness and failure to do the basics severely punished. I've already said enough about the backline.

Have we got replacements?
I don't buy Skelton as an 80 minute player and the humanitarian aid being offered by bullrush is pretty right - I don't think the AB's are too much in awe of him.
Although it scares me to think that Cowan could get 79 minutes - is robinson the answer, and if not who is?
Higginbotham's work rate is not sufficiently in yer face to give us parity let alone ascendancy in the early encounters.
Palu is back (down) to how I remembered him after an exceptional s 15 season.
So where are the options?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That is a good point. But today why would we pick Horwill over Carter? Because he didn't have the opportunity to fuck up and tarnish his reputation?

We need to trust the pecking order, and reward good form. Like a punishing performance off the bench, or a dominant performance in the NRC. Not rewarding the bloke who didn't have the chance to look as bad.

Higginbotham had a good cameo. But did it indicate he will be better over 60 minutes than Fardy? All Higginbotham's 2014 has indicated is that consecutive good performances haven't been achievable.

I'd pick Horwill over Carter because Carter had an absolute shocker. He made costly mistakes and did nothing to make up for that. It's silly to accept that a 3 test Wallaby is higher on the pecking order until Horwill does something to change that. Carter played poorly enough to lose his spot for a test at least.

Rewarding good form should go hand in hand with punishing bad form. A message has to be sent to some degree that some of the performances we saw on Saturday night weren't acceptable. Before the test series started people were uncertain exactly what the pecking order of the locks was. Carter has had an excellent test, an average test and a very poor test in his three tests. That to me is enough to say that Horwill deserves a crack.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
If we lose, it won't be from Foley playing too deep, or being afraid to make a tackle, not taking the line on, or transferring pressure. He's a straight up player and is an enabler, not a superstar.

this alone - he's a team player that does what's expected of a 10. he has the form in the role and it was a strategic and tactical mistake to drop him for beale.

in a broader squad context heading towards the rwc, he is a solid back up if quade comes back in the same or better form, but that's not a guarantee (not having a go at quade by this comment).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'd pick Horwill over Carter because Carter had an absolute shocker. He made costly mistakes and did nothing to make up for that. It's silly to accept that a 3 test Wallaby is higher on the pecking order until Horwill does something to change that. Carter played poorly enough to lose his spot for a test at least.

Rewarding good form should go hand in hand with punishing bad form. A message has to be sent to some degree that some of the performances we saw on Saturday night weren't acceptable. Before the test series started people were uncertain exactly what the pecking order of the locks was. Carter has had an excellent test, an average test and a very poor test in his three tests. That to me is enough to say that Horwill deserves a crack.

TWAS - you'll be happy tjhat I support Horwill's inclusion into at least the 23 if not starting side. With Horwill you know what you get - hopefully he will come out firing and play out of his skin....

T

Train Without a Station

Foley.

Attacks the line, doesn't try an excessive amount of stupid things, and takes the pace that is on the ball and allows it to sing. He has a better awareness of space and options than Beale - even though in Sydney he didn't take the obvious one out wide when we could have won the game. More importantly, he's shown when he gets multiple touches, things go well.

People criticise his series against the Frogs (his first 3 starts in Test Rugby mind), and he didn't set the world alight, but we scored 12 tries in total.

And we need to give him more time at 10 between now and the RWC, because if Quade goes down, its pretty fucking apparent that we're short of 10s yet again.

You're normally as one eyed as a cyclops but I think you're spot on the money here. Foley is essentially a less extravagant option at 10 to Quade. But importantly, like Quade he does the primary functions of a 10.

I'd also back Foley to be considerably less passive in defense. He might end up missing as many tackles as Beale, but he'll force the attackers to make decisions and pressure those decisions.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If they didn't know before Saturday night then they're in trouble. I knew, like most punters did, that the ABs were going to pick up their physicality massively after what they would have felt was a poor performance in Sydney.

Guys like Carter have never experienced it in full flight. I don't think a couple of the other blokes who have come in the last couple of years saw it to that level either. You can't train for that, clearly, you can only experience it and learn from it.

Go and look at the ABs in 2003. They were Lords of the Universe, couldn't miss a trick, smashing people by 20+ every game with the odd one that would get close, then suddenly they'd pull away with ease. Then in the semifinal, the Wallabies drew a line in the sand, and stopped playing into the AB hands, and the World Cup favourites lost.

The illusion from Sydney last week was that we knocked the ABs off their game - the first 15-20 minutes in the rain we absorbed a lot of pressure, then the ABs were kicking a lot away. We thought we'd weathered it, then got some ball and started firing our own shots, getting over the gain line at will. The assumption was we could hack it. We were wrong.

It's not a criticism of Hooper. It's just understanding that what the Wallabies desperately need right now is more like what Pocock used to bring to the table rather than what Hooper currently brings to it.

Pocock is a great fetcher, and hard over the ball. But your assumptions are based on the Laws last time he played Test rugby - the interpretations the way they are now, fetchers are having a much tougher time of getting the penalty or turnovers unless the guy falls at their feet e.g. Sam Cane got one of these each of the last two games, but made the turnover happen with quick hands.

Hooper shares a lot of characteristics with Pocock, including a big engine. He's much better with the ball in hand, and not quite as good without it. To say Pocock would have brought more on Saturday is to make a whole heap of assumptions about the ruck that just aren't valid any more.

Didn't see the Sydney game so I can't comment on what he did there but I'm not surprised at all about his performance on Saturday. I don't care if he was injured or not from about 30min on, what you saw on Saturday is about what you will get from Palu for most of the Tests he plays against NZ and SA. I've said this over and over again here - Palu just doesn't cut it.

If you didn't see the Sydney game, then I understand why you're making these comments. In Sydney he looked much better because we were much harder in contact, and were actually making yards, and knocking black shirts backwards.

At Super level this year he was dominant because the Tahs forwards were operating better as a pack. On Saturday we were getting walloped so how could he impose himself? Three or four of our forwards were utterly shite, and Palu topped the tackle count, so its not like he's going to run the ball much if he's shot from defending. Doesn't excuse him dropping the ball.

But has Palu ever played in a forward pack that really took it to the ABs? I doubt it. Either through injury or the poor form of our team in general, I don't think we've once put in a performance that could even be described as better than parity in the last decade. We smashed the Boks in that time, but he was usually out through injury, and our backs were the ones doing the damage in utter floggings like 49-0.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in the first sentence? This is one of the things I noticed when I first moved over and started playing club rugby. Why do you need to make tackling and defence so.so.so.technical?!

You've missed my point, but as a Kiwi living here that doesn't surprise me, because the assumptions you make about rugby from back home don't apply here for a range of reasons.

I'll explain my point about defence further in three areas that ALL relate to the technical details of smashing someone:

1) Put a shoulder in. Our poor tackling technique of grabbing instead of hitting was due to individual skills, and also defending on the back foot.

2) Alignment. We played up and in on defence, leaving the wings open for Cruden's cross-kicks. This is a tactical mistake.

3) Discipline. Several times, we had two players shoot out of the line to try and put a hit on. The ball is faster than the man, so the ABs just used the space left in behind those two players. Next time you're not about to shoot out, particularly when you've copped a few penalties for being offside.

So tell me - how are you going to "just go out and smash someone" when the ball is already 10 metres away, or you're not going to bother using your shoulder?
The end result is you sit on your heels and wait for the ball carrier on the Ad line because you've encountered three ways to fuck up and don't want to go there again.

This is all basic stuff, but unfortunately, competitive rugby here isn't at the same level as it is in NZ. When someone is physically ahead of their peers in their school competition, there aren't enough rivals to take that away from them.

That's why Kurtley Beale is such a shitty defender and tackler - he was fast enough and strong enough to just strip the ball off the attacker, and run away for a try, and never had to learn otherwise. A succession of coaches have failed to address this, or drop him because of it, so we find ourselves where we are in terms of his individual performance.

The forward pack should have been better, but were not prepared for the reasons I stated at the top of this post.

We do have players in our nation who play like they don't give a fuck. But you can't pick them when they're injured (from not giving a fuck), and you don't have a bunch of other guys lining up to take their place.

Take the hooking position in NZ right now: if the excellent Coles gets injured, you have Kev (who had a shocker in Sydney) to back him up, and then rookie, rookie, rookie, nothing.

We have that problem across all positions.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock is a great fetcher, and hard over the ball. But your assumptions are based on the Laws last time he played Test rugby - the interpretations the way they are now, fetchers are having a much tougher time of getting the penalty or turnovers unless the guy falls at their feet e.g. Sam Cane got one of these each of the last two games, but made the turnover happen with quick hands.

Hooper shares a lot of characteristics with Pocock, including a big engine. He's much better with the ball in hand, and not quite as good without it. To say Pocock would have brought more on Saturday is to make a whole heap of assumptions about the ruck that just aren't valid any more.

That's not true. Pocock played his best game when the interpretations of the ruck were the same. Semi-final RWC. You are right to an extent but he was very effective for about 2 years with the new interpretations.

I agree Pococks strength over the ball, and general breakdown defensive would have been a great asset last Saturday.

Hooper is a different type of seven. Both are effective. I would prefer a Pocock style of 7 against the All Blacks but I'd probably prefer a Hooper against many other opposition where his attacking traits are better utilised.

That being said, it seems a little harsh on Hooper given he was the only effective forward besides Slipper. The only player i'd ever trade him for at the moment would be a fully-fit and firing Pocock but that is yet to be an option.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's not true. Pocock played his best game when the interpretations of the ruck were the same. Semi-final RWC. You are right to an extent but he was very effective for about 2 years with the new interpretations.

I agree Pococks strength over the ball, and general breakdown defensive would have been a great asset last Saturday.

Hooper is a different type of seven. Both are effective. I would prefer a Pocock style of 7 against the All Blacks but I'd probably prefer a Hooper against many other opposition where his attacking traits are better utilised.

That being said, it seems a little harsh on Hooper given he was the only effective forward besides Slipper. The only player i'd ever trade him for at the moment would be a fully-fit and firing Pocock but that is yet to be an option.

I think you're referring to the quarter final against South Africa.

Pocock was amazing in that game but Bryce Lawrence pretty much allowed anything at the breakdown.

That interpretation at the breakdown is very unusual these days and very few referees allow that level of leniency for the defensive team. Pocock pushed the laws to the limit that day and he deserves massive credit for reading the referee so well but I can't see many opportunities for that to be repeated in the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.