• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Wallabies, Eden Park, Sat 22nd October

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Hooper would have better impact from the bench then Pocock. In my view Pocock's value is better utilised as a starter, if he is reff'd out of the game he can be subbed early for Hooper.

Hooper has been consistent but not that good to not even consider starting a player of Pococks calibre - often regarded the best 7 in the world.

I wouldn't call picking the best 7 in the country a "dick move" - maybe its just better for the team.

To be fair, if it was a choice between either of them it would be a 50/50 call between Hooper/Poey. We all know Timani will go to the bench though.

I think I'd prefer Hooper.
Pocock is a turnover expert, but he has a pretty bloody average running game and his tackles are not aggressive enough for a guy his size.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Here's an idea for the moderators. Can you remove the word 'Wallabies' from the thread title? Seems like there's only one team playing on Saturday.

Fuck me the lot of you are depressing. It's a game of Rugby so it's a two horse race. I've seen bigger fucking upsets in the last twelve months than us winning this one. I bet the lot of you still watch the game.

What for interests sake?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Two matches spring to mind and both involve Japan.
Japan vs Sth Africa at the RWC and Japan vs NZ at the Olympics in the 7's.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hope this was said in jest.

As captain, Hooper has been and will be a disaster.

On topic: Like others have posted, I just can't see us winning this one, but I really hope we see a tighter game than what most have been this year against the NZ team.

no it wasnt.

who else in the team is guaranteed locked into position each game and available next year? noone else in the forwards, he's a current vc, captaining when moore is inevitably subbed off.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
All Blacks team

1. Joe Moody
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Matt Todd
8. Kieran Read
9. TJ Perenara
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Julian Savea
12. Ryan Crotty
13. Anton Lienert-Brown
14. Israel Dagg
15. Ben Smith

16. Codie Taylor
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Liam Squire
20. Ardie Savea
21. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
22. Aaron Cruden
23. Malakai Fekitoa

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It sounds like it will be a genuine 24 this time as they aren't going to make a call on Pocock until tomorrow.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
no it wasnt.

who else in the team is guaranteed locked into position each game and available next year? noone else in the forwards, he's a current vc, captaining when moore is inevitably subbed off.
Based on current selection practices, Mumm and Foley are certainties. I would rather have rotating captains than have Hooper as captain.

the wallabies will never have the ear of any referee while Hooper is captain, and we will continue to miss out on the 50/50 calls (and probably a fair chunk of the 10/90s as well).

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
A bigger upset in the last 12 months: Australia's Daria Gavrilova thrashing world #1, Angelique Kerber, 6-3, 6-1 in the Quarter Final of the Hong Kong Open, last Friday!

I just read that Gavrilova was up 6-4, 3-0 against world number 12 Suarez-Navarro when Suarez-Navarro retired hurt.

As for the test match, surely all the pressure on the ABs with the "tier 1" test record on the line against an ever improving Wallaby team that no one expects to win.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think I'd prefer Hooper.
Pocock is a turnover expert, but he has a pretty bloody average running game and his tackles are not aggressive enough for a guy his size.

Tackles aren't aggressive enough? Don't know which player you've been watching the last few years. He puts hard hitters on their ass. Recently refer to him putting the England 8 Vunipola on his backside in England Test 1. Maybe he doesn't rush out of the line often though which is probably what you are referring too as being "aggressive".

I agree that Hooper is so dynamic on attack, Poey will never be at that level, although I think he is a secure ball-runner but certainly not a tackle breaker. I'd prefer to start the defender and bring on the attacker to come on later with tired defences.

Either way both are amazing players - our best 2 players.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Tackles aren't aggressive enough? Don't know which player you've been watching the last few years. He puts hard hitters on their ass. Recently refer to him putting the England 8 Vunipola on his backside in England Test 1.

Shit we could make good use of Billy V. Tore our defensive line a new one multiple times.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That All Blacks team doesn't terrify me in the way they usually do. I have no idea what we do about Barrett though. It feels a little bit like any team with him starting at the moment would win he's in such a rich vein of form.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Based on current selection practices, Mumm and Foley are certainties. I would rather have rotating captains than have Hooper as captain.

the wallabies will never have the ear of any referee while Hooper is captain, and we will continue to miss out on the 50/50 calls (and probably a fair chunk of the 10/90s as well).

rotating captains? never works in any code.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
All Blacks team

1. Joe Moody
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Matt Todd
8. Kieran Read
9. TJ Perenara
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Julian Savea
12. Ryan Crotty
13. Anton Lienert-Brown
14. Israel Dagg
15. Ben Smith

16. Codie Taylor
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Liam Squire
20. Ardie Savea
21. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
22. Aaron Cruden
23. Malakai Fekitoa

Ordinary looking side - we should romp it in......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That All Blacks team doesn't terrify me in the way they usually do. I have no idea what we do about Barrett though. It feels a little bit like any team with him starting at the moment would win he's in such a rich vein of form.

He's clearly the best player in the world right now.

The only time I can think of where a 10 has been in such dominant form was Dan Carter in 2005 against the British and Irish Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.