• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Petaia is the best defender at 13 in the country. He averaged under 1 missed tackle a game as an 18 year old in his debut season where he split time between the wing and 13. Not only does he make tackles but he often puts dominant shots on. I have no concern about his defence at 13 and my guess is Rennie won’t either.

Mate I in no way inferring he doesn't tackle and tackle well, it's more about holding space at 13 etc, he a huge talent and may well be very good with defence patterns. I know over the years AB teams have liked to play against young 13s as they can often be manipulated to get a disconnect with insides. Though to be fair I do think JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua will be aware and keep chatting to him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah I had Lomax & Laulala on the bench, I guess Big Karl is the preferred backup to Moody.

FWIW I'd go with:

1. Moody 2. Taylor 3. Ofa
4. SamW 5. Tuipolutu
6. Frizell 7. Cap'n Cane 8. Ardie
9. AS 10. Mo'unga
12. Goodhue 13. Rieko
11. Clarke 14. Jordan 15. JBar

16. Aumua 17. KarlT 18. Laulala
19. Va'ai 20. Sotutu
21. TJP 22. AL-B 23. Beaugan
We obviously think very much alike WOB (though I be happy with ALB starting) I think it must of been all those fine beers in the Athletic clubrooms or Cossie!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If they dropped Lomax from the squad wouldn't it imply he's the 6th prop? Presumably they are keeping the four matchday props plus an extra (Hodgman) in camp.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We obviously think very much alike WOB (though I be happy with ALB starting) I think it must of been all those fine beers in the Athletic clubrooms or Cossie!

Yeah, I think Fozzie will go 11. Clarke 12. AL-B 13. Goodhue 14. Reece 22. Rieko, but.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Alright, another crack. Considering the rain forecast in Wellington for Sunday....

Sio
Fainga'a
Thor
Phillip/Simmons
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Valetini
Hooper
Samu
White
Lolesio
MK
Simone
Petaia
Wright
Banks

Slipper
Uelesi
AAA
Phillip/Simmons
Wright
McDermott
To'omua
O'Connor

Wallabies to win a close one, 25-22. Wallabies to surprise the kiwis but switching from open expansive running, to tight tactical moves not just once a season, but at least once per half!

Tom Wright to score off some interplay from Simone or be somehow involved in a great try, O'Connor to nail a crucial penalty late in the game off a Wright turnover. Fainga'a to get a try off a rolling maul.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Alright, another crack. Considering the rain forecast in Wellington for Sunday..

Sio
Fainga'a
AAA
Phillip/Simmons
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Valetini
Hooper
Samu
White
Lolesio
MK
Simone
Petaia
Wright
Banks

Slipper
Uelesi
AAA
Phillip/Simmons
Wright
McDermott
To'omua
O'Connor

Wallabies to win a close one, 25-22. Wallabies to surprise the kiwis but switching from open expansive running, to tight tactical moves not just once a season, but at least once per half!

Tom Wright to score off some interplay from Simone or be somehow involved in a great try, O'Connor to nail a crucial penalty late in the game off a Wright turnover. Fainga'a to get a try off a rolling maul.
No Tupou?:)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wonder who the Wallabies look at for 13 if Petaia isn't fit for the first test (hopefully he is fit)?
The mail seems to be he’s playing. Otherwise it depends what they’re doing with JOC (James O'Connor) - if he’s been running at 10 they will leave him there and probably slot Hodge in, if JOC (James O'Connor) is a benchie then he’d be odds on favourite

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If you think Petaia is a worry defensively what are your thoughts on Will Jordan starting. be lucky to make a tackle.

I think Jordan ok tackler, I not worried about Petaia's tackling ability, but have seen some great tacklers just get pulled out of position at 13, never played there but seems to be incredibly hard spot for defensive work. I not getting at Petaia, just I know one of reasons AB selectors like to start gun young centres on wing (Richard Kahui etc etc) is to allow the time to learn the complexities of defending at 13. Reiko Ioane is a classic case, always a 13, but they weren't prepaed to risk him there for a while. I have seen a few 12s that struggle to defend when moving out one spot, not sure why. Many of us look at how well a defender is on how many tackles they miss etc, but if you only miss 1 or 2 a game, and weren't in correct position to attempt 3 or 4 tackles, we don't count that as missing any. And I repeat it's nothing against Petaia and he may go alright at 13 just I wonder if Rennie maybe happier with him on wing to start with.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
The wetter it gets, the more inclined I become to (somewhat reluctantly) pick To'omua at flyhalf.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The wetter it gets, the more inclined I become to (somewhat reluctantly) pick To'omua at flyhalf.

With a 5% chance of slight showers? Hardly wet. But typically Wellington it will be windy. I'd be 100% non reluctant to slot JOC (James O'Connor) into the position he's been long anointed for.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
With a 5% chance of slight showers? Hardly wet. But typically Wellington it will be windy. I'd be 100% non reluctant to slot JOC (James O'Connor) into the position he's been long anointed for.

I was amazed to discover when i went to Wellington that it is, in fact, extremely windy. Ridiculously so. Particularly down towards Island Bay.