• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well - I’m assuming most of us have club connections here and that most have social media. Let’s hope everyone shares the hell out of it.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Wayne Smith in the Australian this morning on Liam Wright"

Yet even that is not enough. Rennie is a firm believer in learning by doing and he has used Wright as a number eight in training, simply to ensure he knows what the demands of the position might be.

If true, I think that is a very strong indication that Wright will be in the Number 20 jersey on match day. He's almost the perfect bench loosie, being able to play 7 and 6 in equal aplomb. If you have two of Wilson, Samu, Valetini or Swinton partnering Hooper, then you have all eventualities covered with Wright on the bench.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
This is Paul Cully's XV:

1. Scott Sio
2. Folau Fainga’a
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Matt Philip
5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
6. Pete Samu
7. Michael Hooper
8. Harry Wilson
9. Nic White
10. James O’Connor
11. Tom Wright
12. Matt To'omua
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Marika Koroibete
15. Tom Banks.

Reserves: 16. Jordan Uelese, 17. James Slipper, 18. Allan Ala'alatoa, 19. Rob Simmons 20. Liam Wright, 21. Tate McDermott, 22. Hunter Paisami, 23. Reece Hodge.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

If true, I think that is a very strong indication that Wright will be in the Number 20 jersey on match day. He's almost the perfect bench loosie, being able to play 7 and 6 in equal aplomb. If you have two of Wilson, Samu, Valetini or Swinton partnering Hooper, then you have all eventualities covered with Wright on the bench.

Have we fallen so far that this is news worthy. What's next? Wingers packing on the side of a few scrums at training just in case? Stop the presses!!!!

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Have we fallen so far that this is news worthy. What's next? Wingers packing on the side of a few scrums at training just in case? Stop the presses!!!!

I don't think it's news worthy on it's own accord. Rather, it's interesting when read in context of an upcoming test match and the inferences that can be made to the team announcement. My read: Liam Wright will be in the 20 jersey.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’ve been trying to make out who might be in the starting side/23 from the photos the Wallabies are posting but whenever I think I’ve spotted a pattern the next player I see doesn’t fit. I’m just going to wait for the announcement.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
they usually put the team out on thursday yeah? or will it be friday given the sunday kick off?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

If you have 2 accomplished 8s why would you need your bench player to also be an 8?
Samu is the best bench option.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
If you have 2 accomplished 8s why would you need your bench player to also be an 8?
Samu is the best bench option.
Just reading the tea leaves.

Not arguing that Samu wouldn't be a great bench option - he would. I, however, do suspect that he'll be starting at number 8, complimented by a bigger body at 6 (Valetini or Wilson).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some wild speculation on the AB's team has Frizell, Cane and Savea as the loosies with Sotutu on the bench, Mo'unga starting at first-five, Clarke on the left wing, and McNuggets at fullback. A somewhat more reliable source, in the form of Foster himself, has old man Coles recovering from an old man calf injury.

"[Coles] had a pretty significant calf injury and last week was the first week he went back into a ‘fully loaded’ situation. As with any return to play we gave him the weekend to see, and he turned up yesterday in great shape. So the signs are good for a full training week."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...es-bledisloe-lineup-as-guessing-game-ramps-up

So maybe also Aumua on the bench.

Team is named at 11:30 am (NZT) on Friday, so imagine the Wallabies will be there or thereabout.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Thought it would be interesting to compare the best players of the domestic year with some other selections here being thrown about. Parentheses designate not in Oz Squad and slash indicating very narrow decisions with top performing first.

1. Tupou
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Slipper
4. Phillip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) / (Neville)
6. Wright
7. Hooper
8. Wilson / Samu
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Wright
12. Simone
13. Paisami
14. Daugunu / Koro
15. (Campbell) / Maddocks / Banks

Endeavored to actually keep players in their positions hence leaving To'omua and Petaia out as the didn't consistently play one position / injured. Also made it more difficult for people out for a decent chunk of the year to make it unless they really dominated games when playing.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some wild speculation on the AB's team has Frizell, Cane and Savea as the loosies with Sotutu on the bench, Mo'unga starting at first-five, Clarke on the left wing, and McNuggets at fullback.

Yeah I wouldn't be putting too much stock in that team - they had 1.93 metre tall rookie Cullen Grace as the lock cover on the bench - yeah nah.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Here's my Wallabies starting 15:
1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 Samu
7 Hooper
8 Wilson
9 White
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Daugunu
12 To'omua
13 Petaia (Paisami if JP not fit)
14 Koroibete
15 DHP (Banks if DHP not fit)

For the front row I have really tried to blend form with experience. Slipper is in better form and has more experience than any other LHP that we have. Fainga'a was head and shoulders above the other hookers this year and has the best throw. Tupou was just too good this year in all aspects.

I think the locks speak for themselves given the group of players available.

Hooper is captain and an obvious pick. I think Wilson and Samu could swap jerseys at a pinch and will compliment each other well.

White is the incumbent and looks the most balanced scrum half in my view but jeez Tate and Gordon would be close if he has a bad game. JOC (James O'Connor) must be 10 given his consistency and leadership.

To'omua was the hardest selection for me in this team. He didn't really set the world alight this year but I think he looks better at IC then FH and he's never really been bad for us. Petaia is a must select really and I think he needs to be getting his hands on the ball closer in than wing (and defending at 13 regardless).

I don't have reservations about selecting the two Fijian flyers together; they share some strengths however I do think that Daugunu has a decent boot and plays a little wider than Marika who is just legendary in that Digby type role.

DHP is a player I really rate. He got hammered on these forums last year after a bit of a shocker but honestly his ability under the high ball and kicking is pretty rare. I've not selected Maddocks as his replacement pending injury as I just think he's been hot and cold for the Tahs.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Like the look of team SOJ only thing I do wonder is Petaia at 13 and not on wing, I would worry a bit that he may get exposed slightly in defence at 13, and although I believe he is Wallabies long term player there I wonder if perhaps Rennie may just ease him into it slightly. I know Cheika gave him a start there, but Rennie I suspect may take a slightly more conservative approach.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Petaia is the best defender at 13 in the country. He averaged under 1 missed tackle a game as an 18 year old in his debut season where he split time between the wing and 13. Not only does he make tackles but he often puts dominant shots on. I have no concern about his defence at 13 and my guess is Rennie won’t either.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Like the look of team SOJ only thing I do wonder is Petaia at 13 and not on wing, I would worry a bit that he may get exposed slightly in defence at 13, and although I believe he is Wallabies long term player there I wonder if perhaps Rennie may just ease him into it slightly. I know Cheika gave him a start there, but Rennie I suspect may take a slightly more conservative approach.

If Rennie was thinking defensively like that we would have seen Kuridrani in the squad. He is not. We will see JP at 13.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There's an article out suggesting Rennie has said he wants a balance of experience and new blood in the halves. Most likely combos that fit that description:

McDermott/O'Connor
White/Lolesio

Top Bottom