• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Bugger that, just give them credit for a great game. Sure we'd have done better, boks too; we play them a lot and know how guys like Cruden and SBW play.

There was some textbook rugby in that game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Afetr reading comments during week ,I have come to the conclusion that the All Blacks did pretty well considering they had loosies that were not up to much. though Richie didn't look too bad for someone who is well past use by date.;)
In reality was a bloody breathtaking performance from a team with a few new boys. Cane, Romano and Barret all look keepers to me, though one test or even series doesn't a great test career make, just got the makings of a decent team in future years me thinks!

J

John Coffee

Bugger that, just give them credit for a great game. Sure we'd have done better, boks too; we play them a lot and know how guys like Cruden and SBW play.

There was some textbook rugby in that game.

Yes there was some text book rugby because it was a practice game and the opposition didn't turn up on the day. The Rebels could have put 60 points of textbook rugby on the hapless Irish on the day. You pull-on the black jersey for 5 minutes and you get credit for sneezing in the shower. It was a good game. Not a great game. I'll give credit to the debutants for playing well against a weakened Irish side as opposed to not playing well against a weakened Irish side. Roll on the Rugby Championship.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The All Blacks turned up to score tries tonight. Australia turned up to kick penalty goals. Australia should opt out of tri-nations and join 6 nations. The AB's looked frightening tonight. Notice when the AB's backline throw passes they go straight to the man and their backline doesn't loose momentum. Maybe Quade and Beale should have a good hard look, even the backs for the under 10 Whites at GPS can throw passes to the man.

Awesome troll.........

How would you rate Quade's performances against Wales?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Yes there was some text book rugby because it was a practice game and the opposition didn't turn up on the day. The Rebels could have put 60 points of textbook rugby on the hapless Irish on the day. You pull-on the black jersey for 5 minutes and you get credit for sneezing in the shower. It was a good game. Not a great game. I'll give credit to the debutants for playing well against a weakened Irish side as opposed to not playing well against a weakened Irish side. Roll on the Rugby Championship.

I actually think there is something in what you are saying, as any player can look good going forward all the time.
What you are missing though is some awesome skills shown by Cruden and Cane.

Cruden steps off both feet and has great awareness. He is now an excellent goal-kicker. He could be a bigger attacking threat than Carter and is certainly the best kiw first-five in the Super 15.

Cane was everywhere. He is very quick, but also strong in the tackle both on defense and attack.

J

John Coffee

I actually think there is something in what you are saying, as any player can look good going forward all the time.
What you are missing though is some awesome skills shown by Cruden and Cane.

Cruden steps off both feet and has great awareness. He is now an excellent goal-kicker. He could be a bigger attacking threat than Carter and is certainly the best kiw first-five in the Super 15.

Cane was everywhere. He is very quick, but also strong in the tackle both on defense and attack.

You are so correct. I did not miss it I just didn't make reference to it. Other posters did well with that and I agree with them. I am not doubting the talent or the skill, just the environment that allows a player to do just that. If the newbies were fielded last week against the Irish it would have been a better assessment underpressure. Invariably some players shine against lesser opposition and come undone against stronger ones. Whether Cruden and Cane (particularly Cruden) can do that against a fired up French, Springbok or Wallaby side that turns up to play?, now that would make for awesome conversation yes? I'm pleased with this test result, a win is a win. I fundmentally agree with you and the plaudits given all round. I just have this thing about perspective. I'm annoying I know.:)

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I just have this thing about perspective. I'm annoying I know.:)

Quite right but perspective is relative. How often do we see a top nation crushed 60-0?

Were Ireland knackered after game two? Sure. However, within 23 minutes of the game the score was 26-0, and the Irish were dead in the water.

That is a great game, terrible but great. One that will scar Ireland for years to come.

Ath.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
John, you're not really annoying, only dreaming if you think The Rebels could of scored 60 points against Ireland. I know Ireland played poorly, but has that perhaps got something to do with how they were allowed to play? I teand to agree with what BOD said, once ABs got out of blocks and scored 20 odd points quickly, it allows them to relax and play their own game very well. I see absolutely no reason why Cruden wouldn't play well against Wallabies or Boks, obviously would be harder as pack won't probably dominate as much. If you actually watch Cruden , I think you would notice he has got the skill set to play well against most teams.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting also to hear Shag say with Canes performance he reckons Richies career by a few years as he will be able to rest him for a few tests.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Dan I'm a big fan of Cruden and have been for a while, but he'll find it much harder to penetrate Bok or Wallaby defenses, they know how he plays.

Of more concern to me is how fast his combination with SBW is growing, no doubt we'll all be watching the chiefs very closely in the next week or two.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
The AB's have sent a message to the world in big bold size 72 font. LOOKOUT.

Dingo and his analysts will need to have their heads down in the next week or so studying the tapes from last night.

The RC could be nasty for us if changes in strategy and tactics are not made by the Wobs.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thought we might have a chance in Hamilton but with Clouseau in charge I don't hold out a rake of hope, in refereeing terms from the sublime (Nig) to the ridiculous(Poite).
This prophetic post caught my eye in the pot apocalyptic aftermath of the game. Did seem to me that Irish couldn't make any headway with this ref

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think blaming the ref is hilarious.

Not too many excuses are convincing when it's 60-nil. Ireland got visited in their bed last night by an angry mob intent on retribution and redemption.

Was at the ground, Sam Cane runs Richie-lines. Proud as hell of the young buck, hope he continues to grow as a player.

Motm could have gone to him, sbw, messam.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Full Time: Ireland 58% possession, NZRT 42% possession. Score: Ireland 0, NZRT 60. Lucky The Darkness only got another 11% possession from the 32 minute mark onward.
Following on from that logic the darkness scored 0.8 pts/min for the first 32 mins with 31% possession and 0.7pts/min for the remaining 48mins with more that 50% possession (to give them a game average of 42%) so clearly the way to reduce the ABs scoring rate is to give them more possession.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And have just seen the controversial Hosea Gear "fend" that people have been talking about.......

That needs to go. You can't elbow someone in the face as a "fend".......

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
^^ I wish there was a 'dislike' button for ridiculous comments like this.

This post is the first bit of 'controversy' I've even seen about Gear's fend....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just had another viewing off youtube, and I'll concede it wasn't actually as bad as it looked when I watched the broadcast.......

Status
Not open for further replies.