• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
'Throwing the forearm'?? Laughable. He raises his arm to make a fend. Any elbow contact is accidental at best.

J

John Coffee

John, you're not really annoying, only dreaming if you think The Rebels could of scored 60 points against Ireland. I know Ireland played poorly, but has that perhaps got something to do with how they were allowed to play? I teand to agree with what BOD said, once ABs got out of blocks and scored 20 odd points quickly, it allows them to relax and play their own game very well. I see absolutely no reason why Cruden wouldn't play well against Wallabies or Boks, obviously would be harder as pack won't probably dominate as much. If you actually watch Cruden , I think you would notice he has got the skill set to play well against most teams.

yeah the Rebel remark was probably a bit rich (chuckles) ... I'm a Cruden fan but was not impressed with his previous outings. This time around he showcased what every supporter wanted to see in his game. It was encouraging for the future and at times downright awesome on the day.

J

John Coffee

Quite right but perspective is relative. How often do we see a top nation crushed 60-0?

Were Ireland knackered after game two? Sure. However, within 23 minutes of the game the score was 26-0, and the Irish were dead in the water.

That is a great game, terrible but great. One that will scar Ireland for years to come.

Ath.

Yup. I noticed as the camera panned very quickly past BOD, was crying on the ground at the whistle and holding back the emotion during the after game interview. He stumbled at the end and couldn't get to say ... '60pts'. Have another look, hope it isn't just me that noticed. So yep I think you're right. Its recorded in the annals history now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
..... and good on B O'D for being passionate. Wouldn't you be a little upset at the end of your career to be done like a Labradors last nights dinner?

not the sort of thing you would want on the last couple of pages in your scrapbook.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Too right HA, if he wasn't shattered after that score I would of lost respect for him as the player he is and has been over the years.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think blaming the ref is hilarious.

Not too many excuses are convincing when it's 60-nil. Ireland got visited in their bed last night by an angry mob intent on retribution and redemption.

Was at the ground, Sam Cane runs Richie-lines. Proud as hell of the young buck, hope he continues to grow as a player.

Motm could have gone to him, sbw, messam.
Seems Messam still has a lot to make up for over at tvnz. They only gave him 6.5 out of 10 for their player ratings. Thought he was a solid 8 personally but then i could be a bit biased;)

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think blaming the ref is hilarious.

Not too many excuses are convincing when it's 60-nil. Ireland got visited in their bed last night by an angry mob intent on retribution and redemption.

Was at the ground, Sam Cane runs Richie-lines. Proud as hell of the young buck, hope he continues to grow as a player.

Motm could have gone to him, sbw, messam.
Hey, plastic paddy What went wrong with Ireland's back line defence?
Taking a fella off the beach and thrusting him in against the best team on earth was always fairly likely to end in tears. Completely unfair on Paddy Wallace to put him in that position and for that reason I now believe Declan Kidney should be tendering his resignation. We wounded the tiger in Christchurch but fuck me did we pay for it yesterday.

New Zealand look exceptionally good, certainly better than in the RWC but I wouldn't base that judgement on yesterdays performance which was effectively unopposed rugby against a team completely out on their feet I would base it on their victory in Christchurch where they had the resilience to close out the game when under serious pressure from a team playing well. I will be very interested to see how the quad nations works out and might even investigate the price on NZ to go through the tournament unbeaten because with the greatest respect, I can't see Aus or SA being able to live with NZ.

I would counsel some caution to supporters of the master race that they don't look at the performance of the likes of Cane, Cruden and SBW yesterday as some sort of epiphany. They are very good players but they were able to look like all time greats against an Ireland team that was not even close to being at the races.

As for blaming the ref, please bother to read all the posts, I do not blame refs for the results of close games, leave alone 60 point drubbings I leave the likes of Fatland and Edwards to do the whinging about refs. Poite is a poor referee and his laissez faire attitude to the scrum, in particular, is extremely dangerous but he is consistently poor for both sides and we have to endure a lot more of him than you fellas in the SH so we should find it easier to interpret his eccentricities.

Congratulations to a very fine New Zealand rugby team.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
It's understandable why it hasn't happened, but wouldn't it have been a treat to have seen O'Driscoll play a season or two of Super Rugby say 3 or so years ago.
He is a class act and a legend, and I hope he leaves the game in good health and of his timing.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
BOD has played every Lions tour since 2001. Amazing career from a staggeringly good player. I wonder if he has enough in the tank to make it next year? He'd have a lot of motivation!

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
BOD has played every Lions tour since 2001. Amazing career from a staggeringly good player. I wonder if he has enough in the tank to make it next year? He'd have a lot of motivation!
It's a bit like Black Caviar.
I selfishly want to see her run again if she can return to her best, but I don't wish to see her run again if she's not 100% and at risk of being beaten by horses that shouldn't even appear in the same photo finish frame as her.
Age is only kind to a good bottle of Red and he's done enough for mine.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's a bit like Black Caviar.
I selfishly want to see her run again if she can return to her best, but I don't wish to see her run again if she's not 100% and at risk of being beaten by horses that shouldn't even appear in the same photo finish frame as her.
Age is only kind to a good bottle of Red and he's done enough for mine.
....which is a nice segue into Sir Richie and comments made by my good self regarding him jumping the shark.

the physical demands of an 8 are significantly different to those of a 7. Sam Cane showed that against a disinterested opponent he has what the Lords of Darkness need for the next generation of 7's. More evidence that the King is Dead, long live King David.

Agree that Sir Richie made a difference as a Captain and as an 8. Bit like the flashy winger from the School 1st XV who racks up 300 games for Pirates eventually retiring as a 4th Grade prop, via fullback, outside centre, openside flanker, blindside flanker, to prop.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)

BOD was out for most of the season due to his operation, only played the tail end of the club season for Leinster. He'll have plenty in the tank for next year and has a preseason coming up to get back to full fitness for the first time in a long time. Given that he was playing with one shoulder for over two years before his operation in December last year, next season could be his best since 4+ years ago.

I'm obviously biased but he's a legend of the game as is Richie and players like them deserve to go out at the top. As I said before I think Richie has at least 1 more season being an AB starter and he can help bring through what looks a very exciting next generation of backrowers in NZ. It's just a pity Ireland haven't used BOD in the same way. with most of our next generation left at home.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I have'nt seen the game but to say the bokks or aussies have no chance against NZ is a little premature, I will most certainly be here again for the 4 nations I have never watched a tri nations comp but, I will this year and I will be supporting Australia, go the mustard;)

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Welcome on board for this years TRC Dai and if you can try to catch the end of the S15 season which starts up again next weekend, Sky Sports show most of the games live and they're well worth getting up early for.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Bardon I feel fo you, Ireland are a better side than that, many times I have been there after huge defeates by the SH, apart from your last game I think the NH have done well against the SH scotland winning all their games England coming close then the draw in the final game Wales loosing the last game by a point I think the gap is shortening, time will tell, your team and mine have had long seasons, perhaps a game too far, the autumn we will be refreshed.Good luck to you Bardon,

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I would counsel some caution to supporters of the master race that they don't look at the performance of the likes of Cane, Cruden and SBW yesterday as some sort of epiphany. They are very good players but they were able to look like all time greats against an Ireland team that was not even close to being at the races.
I think it's more a sense of "the next crop look bloody good" and "wow, that close game really pissed the AB's off". I haven't seen or heard anybody outside of Fairfax or that feral tabloid dribbling off.
As for blaming the ref, please bother to read all the posts.
I did hence it was only worth one line in response. :)

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
John, you're not really annoying, only dreaming if you think The Rebels could of scored 60 points against Ireland. I know Ireland played poorly, but has that perhaps got something to do with how they were allowed to play? I teand to agree with what BOD said, once ABs got out of blocks and scored 20 odd points quickly, it allows them to relax and play their own game very well. I see absolutely no reason why Cruden wouldn't play well against Wallabies or Boks, obviously would be harder as pack won't probably dominate as much. If you actually watch Cruden , I think you would notice he has got the skill set to play well against most teams.

I think, more than that the ABs were allowed to relax and play their own game, once they got off to a good start, the Irish knew it was a case of limiting the damage rather than playing for the win. At the end of a long season and with the heartbreak of the previous week, where they'd given everything and still come up short, they couldn't muster the requisite mental application to live with the ABs. That is something BOD is unlikely to acknowledge immediately post match but is a more likely explanation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep of course Cutter, sorry for inferring the ABs went well, obviously the Irish struggled and were end of a long season, thought it about the same length as Wales, who I thought lost to Wallabies because Wallabies played well, just I was pointing out the fact that Irish weren't so bad that S15 teams would have found them a cakewalk. A pet peeve of mine is why we cannot give credit to teams that have put on a bloody good performance, which I believe the ABs did. Noone claiming they going to beat all comers, just it was a very good performance, the young fellas at start of careers looked to have a fair bit of talent, I mean it was 60-0!!

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
If you're in NSW try watching the Shute Shield on ABC1 Sat. 3pm.
Thanks mate. Battery just went flat so this might be duplicated. If Im not at a Shute Shield game, outside school/rep season, I do a W Webb Ellis with the remote control to make sure we watch the ABC .... Until bowls that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom