• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good work AS, I'd like to see the Wanderer's get up. Are they a chance?

Cheers.

Against Hamilton this week they definitely are a shot. The Hawks have injuries to their pivot (man of the match in the side that beat the Slime in the big one in 2008), their former Beastie boy Flanker is also out for the season. They are big losses. Combine this with getting belted by the Slime & the fact that the Poons are stringing together wins (including a narrow win against the Hawks when they were full Strength) – the Hawks are certainly vulnerable.

Looking at which team has the better chance of beating the Slime in the GF though I really believe that injury free the Hawks are the best challengers who went down to the Slime 31-10 (when they had injuries) but narrowly lost only 11-10 when they were 100%. The Poons regardless of their newly found form have been belted 0-59 & 12-43 by the Slime (they were light on reserves in these games so maybe fatigue set in). I really wouldnt know what to expect from a Poons v Slime GF.

The Hawks are playing in all four premier grades at their home ground so they’ll have plenty of support.

On the team already in the Grand Final:

Slime premier 1 is undefeated this year. They’ve had a couple of injuries but have dealt with them well. They have former Newcastle Knight Sean Rudder who played outside Andrew Johns in the 2001 premiership winning side playing for the Slime at fly half. Along with a former long standing Poon club man who helped bring about the demise of the Slime in the 2009 GF, now playing for them. There are many more exceptional players in the Slime roster that I won’t go through but basically – they’ve got some depth & form.

Overall:

Slime are in all four Premier Grand Finals & although I’ll be going along for the sake of watching even more Rugby which is always good its going to be a depressing GF series as I really cant see anyone beating the Slime. After hearing some of the Slime supporters say they'll need to relocate to Sydney for some real competition it would make my day if they get upset in the GF but cant see it happening.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
FINALS RESULTS

PREMIER 1 – Hamilton 41 def Wanderers 12
Well I got this one completely wrong (although I made my tip with the impression the Hawks fly half wasn’t going to play).

PREMIER 2 - Hamilton 22 def Maitland 3
Backed the Hawks & they prevailed; Blacks didn’t even fire a shot.

PREMIER COLTS - Maitland 32 def Hamilton 10
Picked the Blacks, thought it would be tighter though. Good to see a team outside Slime & Hawks in the GF! lol

PREMIER 3 - Hamilton 19 def Maitland 15
Picked Hawks again & they made it against Maitland, only just.

THE GRAND FINALS for ABC Grades was completed (got 2/3 tips right)
Major Premiers are:
A GRADE - SOUTHERN LAKES with a 29-17 Victory over Pokolbin
B GRADE - MEREWETHER CARLTON with a 17-12 Victory over Southern Lakes
C GRADE - EAST MAITLAND with a 17-15 Victory over Wanderers

GRAND FINAL PREVIEW

SATURDAY 17th SEPTEMBER - NO.1 SPORTSGROUND

Premier 1 Merewether Carlton V Hamilton 3.00pm

I certainly didn’t see this coming given the form of the Hawks I thought Wanderers would have accounted for them in the finals. Reports are Wanderers had a shocker in the opening 15min letting in a few tries. Hawks fly half did not play a full game, I’d say getting him rested & ready for the big one. As far as the big one goes it’s hard not to back Slime here, undefeated to this point & don’t look like slowing up.

Premier 2 Merewether Carlton V Hamilton 1.15pm

Hamilton have not beaten the Slime all year in Premier 2, Slime for mine here too.

Premier Colts Merewether Carlton V Maitland 11.45am

Maitland lost to the Slime 27-17 in the finals & I give them a chance but Slime favourites again.

Premier 3 Merewether Carlton V Hamilton 10.15am

Hamilton has beaten the Slime this year in Premier 3 & came within 2 points of beating them in the finals. They have a chance here but yet again the Slime are the form team & go in as favourites.

Overall

Personally whilst the Slime need to be commended for their efforts this year, & Hamilton who have ¾ teams in the Premier GF’s it is disappointing to see the GF’s dominated by only a couple of clubs. GF days have always been best when a number of clubs are present. Hopefully the clubs that didn’t make it this year can show better form next time.

There’s been quite a bit of gloating from the Slime supporters this week I’m praying that the Hawks will upset their much fancied opponents – especially in Premier 1!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
GRAND FINAL RESULTS

SATURDAY 17th SEPTEMBER - NO.1 SPORTSGROUND

Premier 1 Merewether Carlton 20 def Hamilton 16

Well this is the one that got away from the Hawks. I was surprised. I thought based on recent form against the Slime that the Hawks would get pumped but they actually looked the better team, especially up front. The Slime advantage seemed to be in their outside backs. Slime lead early but Hamilton came back & were leading by a couple with about 5-8min to go when a Slime player caught in a "highish" but very soft tackle went down like a bag of spuds got a penatly. Slime kicked for touch in Hawk 22, threw the ball in, won it, spun it wide & one of their outside backs went in for the winning try in the corner. There were plenty of boos around the time of the tackle penalty as the bloke got off the deck with no injury, the tackle itself whilst technically high was a result of a tall player tackling a much smaller, faster player who ducked under an arm & simply got caught. The penalty count in the late 2nd half was def against the Hawks.

Very gutted for the Hawks & the way the result came about but you cant fault the Slime who took out the Minor & Major & were undefeated all year.

Premier 2 Merewether Carlton 15 def by Hamilton 20

Hamilton had not beaten the Slime all year in Premier 2 but they saved their best performance till last & upset the Slime.

Premier Colts Merewether Carlton 39 def Maitland 18

Maitland did some poor clearing kicks which didnt help, tried but never really in it. Slime very good in Colts.

Premier 3 Merewether Carlton 13 def by Hamilton 17

Surprised to turn up to the ground to see this result in P3 on the board, Hawks beat Slime in the first game of the day.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thats what I'm hoping Rugger that this will allow him to get noticed. He is studying at Newcastle & didnt want to leave till he was done so that was a huge part in him not going to another NRL club, even if a super rugby team was interested he probably wouldnt have gone due to him prioritising his study. I understand why he's made the decision he has.

The standard is pretty good the only concern for the mens comp here is that it seems to be more and more dominated by only a couple of teams, Slime & Hamo pretty much were the only teams aside from Maitland in all premier grade GF's. A lot of people picked Slime v Hamo GF before the season had even started. So it is a bit of a worry that its not real open as it once was where you had between 5-6 different clubs in the GF's. There is a guy I get my rugby specific fitness gear from who's had heaps of experience as a fitness trainer for high level sports teams including Rugby (Rugby clearly his favoured sport after talking to him) & he def thinks the standard of fitness & skills has gone down in the Hunter over the last 5 or so years. I hadnt noticed as much but he's trained local rugby union & league teams so he's in a better position than I am to judge. It will be interesting to see if the clubs that have struggled this year, including mine (except for the womens:)) will bounce back & stop the domination of a few.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
A lot of Clubs are already back at training this week for the Pre-season. Already there have been some player movements. Two articles cover this below.

Va has been a great player for the Hawks but is now moving over to newer club Southern Beaches. Some from other clubs have complained that Southern Beaches are not up to Premier Rugby standard (personally I disagree with this). One thing is for sure the people from Beaches that have complained of 'poaching' can no longer do so with 2 other Hawks players joining Va at Beaches for 2012.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...cal-after-beaches-land-their-man/2415838.aspx
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...va-talaileva-to-southern-beaches/2415787.aspx

The draw for the mens can be found below.

http://www.theherald.com.au/files/54/67/43/000436754/2012nhrupremierdraw.pdf

I will reserve judgement on the mens grades until I have seen the overall prediction article the Herald releases which will show me a lot more on the player movements. The womens teams have also been doing pre-season training, Uni has been training with the men. I am unsure of what the other womens teams have been doing but all reports are they have been training in the off-season also. I am hoping this will mean a tightly contested 2012 in the womens.

Newcastle Uni will be taking on Sydney Uni in a trial game, I believe in Feb, both Mens & Womens. The womens team will have players away that weekend & so at this stage will be fielding an understrength team.

Easts Rugby club is still fighting the NHRU in court for the right to participate in top flight premier Rugby.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ok so I havent had much to update here for a while. Pre-season training still going on at all clubs. It will be sometime until the Herald will put out its overall article to analyse the chances/predictions of mens premier one.

I have one article here from the herald talking about the Waratahs & their going-ons.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...rrives-with-plans-to-revive-tahs/2447424.aspx

I also have a interesting article on the redeveloped No. 2 Sportsground in Newcastle (I cant wait to play on this even if it isnt my home ground). The NHRU has contributed a lot financically & planning wise to the redevelopment. See the comments at the end of the article to have a gander at some of the issues. Personally I am a bit annoyed at the other sports that have come out of the wood work once all the hard work has been done by the NHRU & are now expecting to use the ground.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...e-join-union-at-no2-sportsground/2450488.aspx

Aside from this Crescent Head sevens will be on this coming weekend. A Hunter mens side has been entered, womens teams include x2 squads from Uni, x1 from Hamilton Harps, & x1 from Wanderers (I believe). Unsure if Merewether-Carlton women are attending. I am unsure of what non-newcastle teams are playing.

Lake Mac women "The Roos" are trying to get a team to enter in 15's again, good luck to them, would like to see them return.

And thats all for now.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Correction on Crescent Head sevens womens teams, confirmation of the teams, they are: Uni x2, Wanderers, Merewether-Carlton, Hamilton, Waverly, Parramatta, Tamworth, & Moree.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
(report on CH7's, Just copying my comment info from the 7's Competition thread)

It was the Manly Marlins who won the mens. I'd also mention a big hats off to Inverell mens side who travelled to CH that morning apparently and had the crappest of draws in concerns to recovery time. Our Newcastle Uni mens team did not feature in the finals.

On the womens side it was Parra & Wanderers (from Newcastle) who played out the final (funny because both teams come from clubs called the "Two Blues", if Wanderers hadnt worn t-shirts that they had rigged up their jerseys would have been identical). I cant remember the score but it was a close win to Parra.

I had a great time except I've sprained my ankle I think, its really puffy. I wasnt real happy with our draw we had Merewether then a fresh Parra (their first game) - they had to be the two biggest teams. Beat Merewether about 4 tries to nil, went down to Parra 10-0 & got some injuries out of that game. Because Newcastle Uni took x2 womens teams we only had about 2 reserves each team (we learnt the hard way not to do this again, especially when its 30+deg heat & you do get injuries). My Uni team (Uni2) had to play Parra again in the quarters with injured players & lost but as a true 15's orientated team we managed to get our prop to go over & she hurt someone which kinda gave one back to the Parra girls for all the casualties we got in our previous game :). Our Uni1 team beat Wanderers (our rivals so we were happy with that :D ), & Tamworth but then were beaten by Parra in the semi final in a close game.

In one of the womens semi finals Wanderers played Hamilton (another local Newie grudge match) & everybody got to see a huge hit, pity it was a shoulder charge & illegal. Come the 15's season those two teams are going to have at it, I was surprised a brawl didnt break out.

Parra womens were very good, deserving winners, clearly had some experienced players. They really knew how to suck us into playing their game. I hope they come back again next year because we need teams with their kind of competitiveness in the womens draw.

Its a shame about Sunnybank womens they should have came to CH, it wouldve made the draw an even 10 rather than 9 which made it a bit messy.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Update on Uni trial at Nelson Bay (no womens team as too many of us were away), unsure of mens score, awaiting result.

Update on trial. The game was a three way trial between Nelson Bay, Newcastle Uni, & Sydney Uni. Sydney Uni won by a considerable margin (I think it was by 80 or something). Newcastle Uni played with 15 & 3 forwards on the bench. Big effort. Sydney Uni were impressed & want to come back to trial with us in future. Newcastle Uni consider this quite a complement from a club such as Sydney Uni. I'm not sure who was playing or numbers for Nelson Bay.

Still awaiting the Heralds write up on the premier 1 clubs chances this year.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A mighty achievement by Hunter in the Caldwell cup. Their senior side was made up of many young players playing their first senior rep campaign. All but 3 of the starting 15 made Country I believe.

As for the Colts this squad is very strong and is made up of many players that dominated their age groups

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
No.2 Sportsground (currently Wanderers home ground) won't be available for round 1 by the looks of it but it will be great to use when it is ready. Could be ready for round 2 or 3 at the latest. Some debate has gone on between players of clubs as to whether it should remain Wanderers home ground or become a neutral location. Here is a website showing the design of the Boutique ground. Cant wait to play on it.

http://www.mpceng.com.au/projects/no.2-sports-ground-redevelopment-newcastle

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
FINALLY!!! THE 2012 PREVIEW TO PREMIER ONE MENS HAS BEEN RELEASED ON THE NEWCASTLE HERALD!!!!

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ks-ready-to-reclaim-hunter-crown/2518809.aspx

James Gardiner has predicated these final standings for premier one mens:

1st Hamilton
2nd Wanderers
3rd Maitland
4th Merewether-Carlton
5th Southern Beaches
6th Lake Macquarie
7th The Waratahs
8th University
9th Singleton
10th Nelson Bay

My Predictions

1st Wanderers
2nd Hamilton
3rd Southern Beaches
4th Maitland
5th Merewether-Carlton
6th University
7th The Waratahs
The kiwi coach can bring over other players from across the ditch if required. They can be a real threat if they get it together but I haven't seen much early on to suggest that.
8th Lake Macquarie
Similar to the Tahs, just look at their recruitments, not bad at all but has the culture of the club changed? Are they ready for success? Will the same players be propping up the club to no avail? A lot of questions, Lake have potential to play well.
9th Nelson Bay
10th Singleton
James outlined the same reasons why I believe they'll struggle. Similar to the Bay though they can provide an upset especially at home at Rugby Park.

Anyhow, predictions at the season beginning as I've found out can be very hard. All teams can be very competitive but I feel that way especially about this year. Some teams will just be more of a scatter gun while others more consistent. Injuries certainly play a part during the year so we'll see how it all goes!

Rugbyfish

Stan Wickham (3)
Don't believe everything the paper says about recruitment, I know certain clubs have recruited better than they've let on.

Status
Not open for further replies.