• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
RESULTS 2012 Semi Finals Major & Minor

8th/9th Sep/12

Major Semi Finals TOWNSON
P1 Hamilton 25 Merewether Carlton 5
P2 Maitland 22 Hamilton 18
PC Hamilton 5 Merewether Carlton 34
P3 Maitland 15 University 10

Minor Semi Finals TOWNSON
P1 Southern Beaches 10 Lake Macquarie 20
P2 Wanderers 5 Merewether Carlton 30
PC Southern Beaches 24 Singleton 13
P3 Wanderers 21 Hamilton 22

Game of the round goes to Premier 1 Lake Mac who continue this Cinderella-like story with yet another win in the finals. I had a talk to a couple of guys from my club who were predicting the downfall of Beaches in this game. Bit of a shame as Southern Beaches had started well this season in premier 1. Lake Mac however are providing a real cat among the pigeons type stuff here.

For my club Uni premier 3 mens were ahead 10-nil for most of their game with Maitland but the Blacks got a penalty kick then stuck again with a try straight after & went over again not too long later. Uni did butcher one try that would have sealed the game. I had forgotten that this was not an elimination final & thought the boys were gone so I'm happy to hear they'll have another chance next week which I will be able to watch this time.

PRELIMINARY FINALS

Prelim 15th/Sep/12 - WARATAH OVAL
P3 University v Hamilton

Thank god Uni mens are still alive with premier 3. The games against Hamilton have been close all year. Hamilton do lift well come finals time. The AngrySeahorses will be a tad down after they surrendered their lead in the loss to Maitland but dammit I want to turn up to the mens premier grand final day & see a team from my club there this year! Uni by 5.

PColts Hamilton v Southern Beaches

Tough to pick. They are one a piece in the season. I'm going to go with Hamilton by 7.

P2 Hamilton v Merewether-Carlton

Same scenario as Colts, these teams are one a piece also. I'm going to go with the Slime by 3.

P1 Merewether-Carlton v Lake Macquarie

Can Lake Mac continue this brilliant run? I would love to see it continue but I think this is where it will end. Both teams are one a piece with the Slime having taken care of the Roos in the last encounter. I am backing the experience of the Slime at this time of year to get them the win. However, I've kept saying Lake Mac will be knocked out the last few weeks (despite giving them a chance) & they keep proving me wrong. I think it will be Slime by 5 but I am actually hoping the Cinderella story from the Roos continues to the Grand final.

GF 22nd/Sep/12 - NO.2 SPORTSGROUND Newcastle

P3 Maitland v Winner of Prelim final
PC Merewether-Carlton v Winner of Prelim final
P2 Maitland v Winner of Prelim final
P1 Hamilton v Winner of Prelim final

I will write up the women's GF review when I've got my bearings a bit more.

A Grade GF will be Cooks Hill (Brown Snakes) v Southern Lakes (Hammerheads)
B Grade GF will be Southern Lakes (Hammerheads) v Muswellbrook (Heelers)
C Grade GF will be East Maitland (Eagles) v Merewether-Carlton (Greens)

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
So how did your team go in the big game AS?

Lol, I just checked my previous post where I updated the mens side of things but did not update the women's part. I'm going to write a more thorough write up of that later but I could have at least put the score down!

Very happy to report Pauly that the Uni women beat Wanderers 24-15 but it was very nervy as we were down 10-0 at half time. The crowd was very big & loud.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Congratulations to you and your team then. I'm glad you got to experience the thrill of playing in a GF and the exhilaration of winning one! Well done.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Congratulations to you and your team then. I'm glad you got to experience the thrill of playing in a GF and the exhilaration of winning one! Well done.

Cheers Pauly I'm very lucky in that this is by my count my 4th Grand final victory. So far I have not been in a losing Grand final team in Rugby. It does make me feel for those that have not yet or may never experience a grand final let alone win it.

A former coach of mine said it well "To get into a Grand final, let alone win the bastard, is a tremendous achievement".

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Uni v Wanderers Write Up: Grand Final 2012 (I finally get around to this):

I've done quite a bit of thinking before coming up with this wrap up to try & be as unbiased as I can.

First half saw a shaky start to both teams with Wanderers knocking on their first touch of the game receiving the kick off then the University scrum half messed up the put in to the scrum. Both teams were nervous. Uni looked more affected. Wanderers worked their way down field went blind & targeted one of our slower players (who tried valiantly to stop the Wanderer) but Wanderers went in, kick unsuccessful from out wide 5-0. Not too long after Wanderers went in yet again in almost similar fashion. No conversion 10-0. The first time Uni had been that far behind in a game all year.

The main criticism I heard from our coach was that we were going too high into rucks & not low enough into contact ourselves. We were not cleaning out well & on occasion were having the ball ripped off us. This was true but I’d add to that our horrible blind side defence & lack of recognising & dealing of overlaps was a problem – this is something I have complained about throughout much of the year (especially when facing Wanderers).

I got out there with about 10min to go in the first half & got to look first hand at the crowd for a moment. It was a big crowd, really impressive actually. Both teams’ scrums were good. Line-outs were about even this time. At one point we made our way up to less than 1m from Wanderers goal line. Our field was split, on the blind side there was a centre, me, & then a winger – there was not a Wanderer in sight. We screamed for the ball but did not get it. Our forwards went for another pick & drive & then infringed. Pick & drives are good things but that was one try bombed – the ball needed to go out.

First half ended & I believe our coaches’ words were “the good thing is we are still in it”. More words were said & then we went back into the second half.

Second half started to see more use of the pick & drive which was devastating to Wanderers who seemed to have no answer. Wanderers poor defence of the pick & drive made us look a lot better than what we actually were but it was working for us & so kept doing it. Within about 10m of the Wanderers goal line one of our centres cuts through & goes over under the posts. Conversion successful 10-7 to Wanderers, Uni now back in it. The Wanderers restart did not go 10m. We had even more ball now. We made our way down field a second time & scored yet again in quick succession, conversion unsuccessful 12-10. Wanderers stuffed up the kick off again. After working the ball down field we end up with a scrum about 10m out & I & another player are taken off. I estimate my total time was about 25-30min game time - due to rules of the finals that was me done. We stayed down in Wanderers half for some time before cracking them again I believe out wide. 19-10 - kick successful.

From here with all the excitement I think it gets a bit foggy memory wise but we scored a run away try & did not convert to make it 24-10 & then Wanderers got a try & did not convert making it 24-15. It was a great come back from Uni & a very big effort from Wanderers.

Unfortunately, this ends a bit bitterly for me personally. The week of the grand final I had discovered the reasons a fellow team mate had left our club late this year to play for a rival. I love the Uni club but this whole thing has left me so appalled that I am seriously considering having a year off or at least temporarily playing for another club until things change. At any rate I've got lots to think about in the off-season.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The latest from the Herald:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/328096/danny-maiava-reinventing-the-roos/?cs=306

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/327773/bozo-blows-time-on-extraordinary-nhru-career/?cs=306

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/312859/rampant-roos-roll-beaches-in-nhru-semi/?cs=306

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/312154/lake-macquarie-overpower-southern-beaches/?cs=306

Latest Rugby News:

http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynewsissue21/

How to listen to 1st & 2nd div finals on the radio! (this is not premier Rugby):

http://www.nhru.com.au/images/newsphotos/NHRU_listen-to-grand finals-a-b-c-grade.pdf

The above info is similar to what is required to listen to the Premier GF's next week. Thank you internet radio! Apparently you can use it on iphone as well as regular internet at home & just need to log in.

Info on HWRU & Waratah Old Boys SIDS and KIDS fundraising day:

http://www.hunterwomen.rugbynet.com.au/

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Congrats on the victory ASH! Sorry to hear about the other crap.

Cheers p.Tah don't get me wrong I am really happy for the GF win as our current president is retiring this year so it is nice to send him out a winner but yes it is pretty disappointing some of the garbage going on.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
PRELIMINARY FINALS RESULTS (I was actually here to watch all the games now that mine are all over!)

Prelim 15th/Sep/12 - WARATAH OVAL
P3 University 3 v Hamilton 20

Three things. University dropped ball, terrible officiating, & Hamilton making the most of their chances. That ultimately led to the result on the day. There are those that will go on about bagging the referee only because your team lost but when you see two blokes from your team go the bin, one for offside, & you see the opposition virtually offside at every single ruck & not one gets sent - I think your inclined to be disappointed with the officiating. Uni saved their worst game for the prelim, this was something the boys admitted after the game. That being said Premier 3 mens for Uni went further than any other of the Uni mens teams & for that should be pleased with their overall effort.

PColts Hamilton 20 v Southern Beaches 11

I picked Hamilton by 7 so I was close here. Southern Beaches really blew it to some degree here as they were in front for most of the game which interestingly was played in quarters (maybe due to the heat?, maybe colts play in quarters? I've never noticed till Sat). Beaches best try for mine was a long range try from their full back. They really seemed to run out of puff though & Hamilton did well to come back. Favorite try from Hamilton was a bloke who actually has refereed some of the women's games this year - happy to see him go over in the corner to seal the win!

P2 Hamilton 24 v Merewether-Carlton 25

I picked the Slime by 3. Very close again! The Greens looked to be in control for most of this game but Hamilton never gave up & staged a come back. The feeling I had was all it would take is one lapse in concentration from the Greens & the Hawks would pounce but they kept their composure & went on to win by the one point. By my memory the Slime/Greens were undefeated last year in P2 but lost the GF to Hamilton so they have exacted some revenge there.

P1 Merewether-Carlton 46 v Lake Macquarie 8

I picked Merewether in a close encounter & surely if Lake Mac had of actually capatalised on the try scoring chances they had in the game it would have been a hell of a lot closer than the scoreline suggests. Greens got points on the board very quick mainly from great countering. From this point the Roos were in catch up mode all game. They got agonisingly close to the Greens goal line & nearly went in a number of times but taking the wrong choice in attack, lack of execution, & really good Greens defense prevented more points. Much tougher game then what the scoreline would have you believe. Great season from the Roos. Some cynics suggest that once the good signings go away they go back to being strugglers - I hope this is not the case. A very good win by the Greens which sets up a repeat of last years GF. Can the Greens go back to back? or will Hamilton get square?

I was not around for these games but heard they were very entertaining:

A Grade GF will be Cooks Hill (Brown Snakes) 3 v Southern Lakes (Hammerheads) 47
B Grade GF will be Southern Lakes (Hammerheads) 22 v Muswellbrook (Heelers) 5
C Grade GF will be East Maitland (Eagles) 17 v Merewether-Carlton (Greens) 10

Premier Mens Grand Final 22nd/Sep/12 - NO.2 SPORTSGROUND Newcastle PREVIEW

Three clubs involved Maitland, Hamilton, & Merewether-Carlton. Congrats to these clubs. I would have liked to have seen a bit more representation from other clubs - but these should be very good games! So many things can go on in their GF's so I'm not choosing a scoreline.

P3 Maitland v Hamilton

Tip Maitland: They should be too good for the Hawks.

PC Merewether-Carlton v Hamilton

Tip Merewether-Carlton: It will be tight Hawks very good at staying in the fight.

P2 Maitland v Merewether-Carlton

Tip Maitland: Just a little too good for Merewether I feel.

P1 Hamilton v Merewether-Carlton

Tip Hamilton: The result for mine rests on Merewether. They have been up & down this year. If they turn up to play, it will be tight. If they have a down week this could be embarrassing for the Greens. Either way I still see a Hawks victory, getting one back on the Greens from last year. If the Slime get up & win then congrats to them but it will have to be the choke of all time from the Hawks - & chokes in big games like this are always on the cards!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Night before the Premier men's Grand final, some extras:

Remember you can get onto allsports to hear all the action on Grand final day if you cannot make the ground http://www.allsportsradio.com.au/site/ it will be live from 11am (it will miss some of the premer 3 GF).

IMPORTANT!: In addition to the option above NBN is offering a live stream of the premier one men's GF (from 3pm) which you can view here http://www.nbntv.com.au/newcastlerugbyunion

If you are going there to watch at No.2 Sportsground they will open the gates at 9am & tickets can be purchased at the gate.

I have a new camera. I'm trying to work it out tonight so I can hopefully take a few photos of the crowd & games tomorrow.

Below is the latest Rugby News & will be a collectors item at tomorrows game, probably one of the most interesting things I read in this news mag this week is the talk of Todd Louden having some involvement at my club Newcastle Uni next year. Just a rumour but interesting none-the-less.

http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynewsissue22/

A Herald article below on one of the smallest props in mens premier 1 (from Hamilton)

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/344063/bakarich-dips-in-for-hamiltons-front-row/?cs=306

A Herald article below on one of the Merewether backs for premier 1

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/346828/clifton-ready-to-dive-in-against-hamilton/?cs=306

A Herald article on Kelso trying to be fit for the game, he is listed at 13 for the run on side so far

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3...ping-to-prove-fitness-for-grand-final/?cs=306

A herald article on who the coaches are picking, Hamilton heavy fav's in premier 1

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/349159/hamilton-tipped-for-nhru-grand-final-glory/?cs=306

A Herald article on Mark Wade possibly under an injury scare, he is currently listed at No. 8 for the run on side

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/350100/mark-wade-in-serious-doubt-for-nhru-grand-final/?cs=306

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Images from the 2012 NHRU Premier Grand Finals:

Below is Premier Colts Merewether v Hamilton line up
Colts 2012.JPG

Below Colts, Merewether on the charge
Coltd 2012 2.JPG

The Marching band as in between game entertainment
DSCN0096.JPG

Premier 2 Maitland v Merewether Tunnel
DSCN0098.JPG

DEFENCE MAITLAND!
DSCN0105.JPG

The anthem just before the premier 1 game
DSCN0109.JPG

Hamilton Premier 1 mens
DSCN0124.JPG

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
2012 Premier Mens Grand Final results:

P1: Absolute annihilation of the Greens by Hamilton, Greens decimated by injury but Hawks the best team this year, Hamilton 46 - Greens 0.

P2: Very good win by Maitland, Maitland 33 - Greens 5.

PColts: Went down to the wire, Greens 18 - Hamilton 19, Hamilton only had to kick the ball out but Greens got the pill & nearly stole it at the end but were held up, the best game of the day as far as tight contests go.

P3: Amazing stuff from Hamilton, really caught me by surprise, Maitland did not really fire too much. Hamilton 24 - Maitland 8.

Big day. Sore head.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3...erewether-carlton-in-nhru-grand-final/?cs=306

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Herald articles below:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/353171/hawks-send-grand-salute-to-fallen-comrade/?cs=306

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/356286/no2-handed-seal-of-approval-from-nhru/?cs=306

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/358818/nhru-clubs-merger-rumours-doused/?cs=306

Great news on the No.2 Sportsground being a success. The crowd was decent but I honesty believe it would have been much larger if there were more than 3 clubs represented on the day. Kudos to those 3 clubs though, rest of the clubs just simply need to get better. Some clubs that were not involved in any of the games, such as Newcastle Uni, still turned up in numbers & were quite loud in support of Hamilton - was great added atmosphere & great to see (just another reason the Seahorses are just the best people you want to be near as far as supporters go come game day ;) - unless you're from the Slime as they copped a gob full from Uni all day). Honourable mentions to Southern Beaches, Cooks Hill Brown Snakes, & Waratah who were all near by, & the Nelson Bay Gropers who I was told was running the catering I believe - great job! would have been very busy!

Interesting article, the last one, about potential merger of Easts & Waratah. Neither have said they are in negotiations to do it. I don't believe it will happen next year but I believe it is a future possibility. Easts are looking to play their home games potentially out of Waratahs home ground next year but continue to train at Dangar Park in Mayfield.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Great photos AS, being in that Hamilton crowd (I can actually see myself in a few of those photos), I didn't realise just how many people were in the stand. The paper said there was 5100 people there but gee it looked like there were more. No 2 has definitely lived up to the hype, the surface is excellent and the change rooms are good, although we did have some trouble finding them the first time we played there haha.

Oh and major props to those Uni supporters, every year they add to the GF atmosphere by giving the Greens supporters heaps, it's hilarious. It's people like that that make me want to see the Uni club get back to their glory days.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Great photos AS, being in that Hamilton crowd (I can actually see myself in a few of those photos), I didn't realise just how many people were in the stand. The paper said there was 5100 people there but gee it looked like there were more. No 2 has definitely lived up to the hype, the surface is excellent and the change rooms are good, although we did have some trouble finding them the first time we played there haha.

Oh and major props to those Uni supporters, every year they add to the GF atmosphere by giving the Greens supporters heaps, it's hilarious. It's people like that that make me want to see the Uni club get back to their glory days.

Cheers Hawktrain. Yes, I agree I reckon it was certainly more than 5100. The surface at No.2 looked brilliant. It is a bit of a labyrinth there looking for change rooms isnt it? I have not yet played on No.2 but I did play there against the Wanderers women's side out the back at No.5 & we used the No.2 change rooms. Yikes! I turned up a bit late & I nearly cried trying to find the room! I only had like 2mins till kick off! I can't wait to play on No.2 next year (I was thinking of taking a break next year but the more I think about it the more that's not likely to happen).

I was there with the rest of the Uni club last year singing "Club of the Year" in front of the ladies toilets & booing the hell out of anyone walking past wearing green. Nice to see that tradition keeping up in 2012 :D. It is all in good fun & most Slime supporters take it on the chin. One of our family friends from my suburb is a Slime supporter & former Slime colts coach. I've been along to a lot of the Uni mens games over the years & it has been very tough the last couple of years. Premier 3 "Soul train" & the womens team have carried the torch. I can say myself & the rest of the Uni women are holding up our end with two grand final victories in the last two years - we are always hoping at least one men's team makes the grand final. Oh well, 2013, new year, onward & upward.

Status
Not open for further replies.