• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Next Wallabies Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

And Douglas is too old to improve. I think we have to be ruthless and make sure these players are culled early from future consideration.

No. The ARU just shouldn't have been paying for that potential improvement as he was probably our weakest lock in Australia based on the international performances up to that point.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I enjoyed watching the Brumbies under White. They were physical and winning. Even scored some very good tries if I remember correctly. Success is the key, some on this board MAY lament the style but winning will be better for the code than losing while playing the right style.

I think Cheika is the best long term option but success will happen faster under White. There is a RWC next year, I'd prefer success. Not making it out of the pool stage will be devastating for the code.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't get why everyone seems so in favour of getting rid of Andrew Blades as forwards coach. Since his appointment in 2012 (?) the Wallaby set piece has improved immensely, with not just sporadic excellent performances and consistent performances. I know Foley is a good forwards coach but letting Blades go would be a huge mistake in my book.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't get why everyone seems so in favour of getting rid of Andrew Blades as forwards coach. Since his appointment in 2012 (?) the Wallaby set piece has improved immensely, with not just sporadic excellent performances and consistent performances. I know Foley is a good forwards coach but letting Blades go would be a huge mistake in my book.

The scrum has improved, absolutely. The lineout has gone backwards this year and around the park they are as inconsistent as ever.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I enjoyed watching the Brumbies under White. They were physical and winning. Even scored some very good tries if I remember correctly. Success is the key, some on this board MAY lament the style but winning will be better for the code than losing while playing the right style.

I think Cheika is the best long term option but success will happen faster under White. There is a RWC next year, I'd prefer success. Not making it out of the pool stage will be devastating for the code.

My thoughts exactly!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No. The ARU just shouldn't have been paying for that potential improvement as he was probably our weakest lock in Australia based on the international performances up to that point.
That has nothing to do with the statement to which I replied. Read what was written about Douglas. Had his chance. No good. Apparently. Close the door??

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I agree absolutely that doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is insanity. Hiring White as per Joe Mac's article is merely one of many options.

Personally I think the national coach must spend far too much time dreaming up different tactics and strategies. With fuck all preparation time there is zero chance of integrating five groups of players with five different fitness levels who have been playing five different game plans to play a sixth version of the game. Imagine the confusion if the National coach then wanted to play another different game plan the week after.

One immediately better system would be to appoint the coach of the leading Super Rugby team who would then add to his team to strengthen it and improve execution of his plan. Players from other provinces will be familiar with it as well. I can see a myriad of problems with this but it would give the current system in operation since last century a run for its money and is infinitely better than hiring Jake White and co-opting Cheika and Larkham as his assistants.

Am still thinking the triumvirate approach is a step forward and do like my idea of the 4th and 5th Super Rugby coaches joining the selection panel. There has been no adverse commentary on that suggestion but also, alas, no Likes either (Note to Mods: Would the Crap button have been freely used if available?). Building better depth in coaching at the Super Rugby level is a better option than trying to build it with assistant coaches at Test level I would have thought.

Comparisons with SA, NZ etc where rugby is the #1 sport and there is greater depth of good coaches are a bit meaningless, as is a comparison with the NRL for the same reason. The comment about the Origin coaches being full time is also off the mark as both incumbents have been clear that while it does allow them to focus 100% on their team, they prefer the arrangement as a full time NRL gig lacks appeal for them i.e. they do not need to work all year round.

T

Train Without a Station

That has nothing to do with the statement to which I replied. Read what was written about Douglas. Had his chance. No good. Apparently. Close the door??

Which is why I said no. No they shouldn't. But they shouldn't continue paying for speculative development. Which is what they decided.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There is no guarantees with White - he could fuck off in a heartbeat as history shows. Chek a much better option
Least it was at the end of a season not the start of a tour.

If your upset with White leaving teams, you must hate Link.

Oh wait he had his reasons.. So did White.

White made the Brumbies a force again. And I bet we wouldn't be seeing him quit less then a year out from a world cup.

Really he went for a job missed out and moved on, his moving for family is much better then. Losing the changeroom (although he did that at the sharks and left.. Like Link)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree absolutely that doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is insanity. Hiring White as per Joe Mac's article is merely one of many options.

Personally I think the national coach must spend far too much time dreaming up different tactics and strategies. With fuck all preparation time there is zero chance of integrating five groups of players with five different fitness levels who have been playing five different game plans to play a sixth version of the game. Imagine the confusion if the National coach then wanted to play another different game plan the week after.

One immediately better system would be to appoint the coach of the leading Super Rugby team who would then add to his team to strengthen it and improve execution of his plan. Players from other provinces will be familiar with it as well. I can see a myriad of problems with this but it would give the current system in operation since last century a run for its money and is infinitely better than hiring Jake White and co-opting Cheika and Larkham as his assistants.

Am still thinking the triumvirate approach is a step forward and do like my idea of the 4th and 5th Super Rugby coaches joining the selection panel. There has been no adverse commentary on that suggestion but also, alas, no Likes either (Note to Mods: Would the Crap button have been freely used if available?). Building better depth in coaching at the Super Rugby level is a better option than trying to build it with assistant coaches at Test level I would have thought.

Comparisons with SA, NZ etc where rugby is the #1 sport and there is greater depth of good coaches are a bit meaningless, as is a comparison with the NRL for the same reason. The comment about the Origin coaches being full time is also off the mark as both incumbents have been clear that while it does allow them to focus 100% on their team, they prefer the arrangement as a full time NRL gig lacks appeal for them i.e. they do not need to work all year round.
Want to lose fans make the team the Tahs with a token other player.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
@4918

Is it possible losing your first 4 hookers (Moore, TPN, Charles and Latu) could have an effect on the consistency and performance of the lineout?

As for around the field is that the job of the forwards coach or the breakdown / defence coach? Around the field we are still lacking consistency but one area that has improved noticeable has been our physicality. Not sure who we attribute that too as prior to McKenzie's appointment it was one of TT's areas so possible it was handed over to Scrivener.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Which is why I said no. No they shouldn't. But they shouldn't continue paying for speculative development. Which is what they decided.
But again, that had nothing to do with the concept of marking his card as "Tried. Failed. Done". I'm talking about the future. His reasons for going were not simply about ARU topups in any event.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)

I have supported the possibility of Jake being a good option for the Wallabies and not because I like him much, but I respect his methods.

The idea that the code needs be saved by fancy rugby doesn't do it for me. Playing "the Australian way" doesn't really do it for me either. What is the Australian way? Running?

To me the Australian way is outhinking their opposition even when in physical terms the opposition are superior. It is the hallmark of the great Australian generation of the 90s and early 2000s.

World rugby is experiencing a bit of a change I think. All teams are now focusing on outhinking the opposition. SA has realised dominating physically is no longer an option.

I can't really tell the difference in playing styles between NZ and SA for the last 2 years except that NZ kick a bit more and that their kicks are more effective. Otherwise the styles seem very similar.

NZ are kicking more and SA are running more. Who would have thought? It balances the contrasting styles though.

Even England are upping their game to join the category but they'll always seem more lethargic because most of their games are in Northern conditions.

During their visit of NZ they seemed pretty adept for a Northern team to the pace.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is there any evidence to suggest that Blades is gone? If Foley is coming in maybe he becomes lineout and forwards coach and Blades does the scrum.

Cheika will only do the Waratahs and Wallabies next year. For 2016 he will be Wallabies only. Is there any talk that Foley and Larkham will also move to the Wallabies full time as assistants? I would have thought they'd have been more likely to stay head coaches at the Force and Brumbies respectively.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You're right, lets keep doing the same shit over and over again, it's obviously working for us.

OK

for fun select a Wobs side for Jakeball

A kicking 9, 10, 15, a massive pack, a defensive crash balling backline

so

1 Sio
2 Moore
3 Kepu
9 White
10 Not Cooper, not Foley, both run too much
13 Kudrani
14 Spieght

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Good point about Blades Aussie D, apparently a well regarded scrum coach. Too my point about doing things differently. What does he do when not on tour with the Wallabies?

Just say you decided that potential Australian loose forwards with the capability to smash the opposition play in the NRL as do the best tactical kickers because that is an important part of the game (say 1/6) from under age teams up. You might then decide that Australia should pursue a ball in hand strategy across all provinces.

Really the next step is absolute technical proficiency at the set piece. This seems to have waxed and waned over the years with the interest of the Head Coach then driving the style of forwards coach. Blades, McKenzie and Foley all have done well in that role and the national team performance improved.

The ARU needs to invest urgently here as well and AB would be a good starting point.

Tomikin, the Tahs do not always finish in front (even after claiming they will each season). If you look at SA and NZ this principle actually holds true. The Bulls and Crusaders dominated selections and as far as I can see their game plans broadly adopted (although as far as I can see NZ teams largely play with a similar approach anyway). Yes, different coaches but as noted previously they have plenty of good ones to spare (no PdV jibes please)

Status
Not open for further replies.