• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Next Wallabies Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
In some ways we NEED Jake White.

But I don't particularly want him and here's some reasons:

1. White selects players to fill a mould. He did it at the Boks and he did it a the Brumbies. He doesn't select the best team and adapt. I doubt for example, a QC (Quade Cooper) type would ever play for White. From an Australian POV we need him to play. He's probably a good end of year tour away from a better record than Larkham sans a RWC.

2. White only beat the All Blacks 3 times in his tenure from 9 games.

3. I ate my hat after his world cup win, but if we are fair dinkum he did with without beating a Top 5 ranked team. It looks like we will have to beat 3 of the top 5 teams (at the moment) to win the RWC (Actually 4 of top 6).
Fiji- Argentina- England (whom you have already beaten in pool stage) is hardly going through Wales and England in Pool stages then Samoa/Scotland, Ireland and NZ.

4. His Brumbies reign, while successful in making the final, is littered with Deans like games losing to teams they should have comfortably beaten. There were also some gifts in there, like the Cheetahs in 2012 that comes to mind, that boosted the 57% winning percentage.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
"Wallabies European coach revealed "

well I guess Contiki is 18s to 35s so all the mental ages are covered ....they certainly know how to find a bar as well.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I hear what you're saying Thinker, the coaching is only half the issue though. We need someone who can do that AND manage the other shit well. I think it should be JW or Mallett until the end of the RWC then give it to Cheika.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Like i said in the other thread - Richard graham is the obvious solution
1. It solves a large part of the 2014 problem at the reds
2. It gives somewhere for link to ply his trade, and with the 2015 playing roster he can deliver an almighty f@#k you to the ARU by leading the reds to the 2015 super title.
3. It leaves the wallabies to coach themselves.
Problem solved. Everyones happy!!

This is most definitely the perfect solution. RG will think he is the coach and will think it is all him and his game plans while the players can do what they prefer and just play how and when they want. :)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd give it to Blades for the EOYT and then for the ARU to do the hard sell around the world for a quality coach.

That way if the EOYT gives good results you can say "look a the potential you've got to work with" or if it goes badly "we're at rock bottom, you're the right man to turn things around"

I think one of the problems OZ have is that its hard to drop players if they're on a big ARU contract. Return for investment and all that.

D

daz

He needs to be a benevolent dictator after the style of Henry.

Any of the blokes under the microscope happen to be an ex headmaster or with serious teaching experience under their belt?

Good ex-teachers know how to control groups while motivating and persuing excellence.

After all these players at 19 to 26 are no more than overgrown schoolkids!

Tony McGahan. He goes to the Wallabies, Todd Louden takes the Rebels.

Job done.

However, I think White will get it. Firstly, the old dog is a mean bastard and takes no shit. A 12 month contract only to take the team to the RWC, which is perfect for this group. If he did well, great, extend if required, if not, the ARU can blame Link for dropping them in the poo before the RWC and go get Cheika long term.

Secondly, why on earth would Cheika take the job now without assurances that things will change in Wobland? If I was Cheika, I'd be sitting back and waiting for the fallout to cease and for change to happen.

Otherwise, Cheika will be just another Ewen Mackenzie in 12 months time, and he becomes yet another top shelf Oz coach potentially lost to Oz rugby.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm not convinced they should appoint an interim coach for the EOYT.

If you're going to have a new coach for the RWC, then best to give them the role ASAP, so they have maximum time to get ready.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Exactly, if they only have from next year with no inbound tests what's that? 4 games to prepare before the RWC? Too short IMO

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not convinced they should appoint an interim coach for the EOYT.

If you're going to have a new coach for the RWC, then best to give them the role ASAP, so they have maximum time to get ready.

It's a tricky situation. In an ideal world you would appoint the new coach as soon as possible so they have the maximum possible time through to the RWC.

On the flipside, it's hard to find the best coach if part of the job ad includes the fact that you have to be able to start immediately.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Tony McGahan. He goes to the Wallabies, Todd Louden takes the Rebels.

Job done.

However, I think White will get it. Firstly, the old dog is a mean bastard and takes no shit. A 12 month contract only to take the team to the RWC, which is perfect for this group. If he did well, great, extend if required, if not, the ARU can blame Link for dropping them in the poo before the RWC and go get Cheika long term.

Secondly, why on earth would Cheika take the job now without assurances that things will change in Wobland? If I was Cheika, I'd be sitting back and waiting for the fallout to cease and for change to happen.

Otherwise, Cheika will be just another Ewen Mackenzie in 12 months time, and he becomes yet another top shelf Oz coach potentially lost to Oz rugby.

Cheika is going to accept the job if offered it, regardless the level assurance that things will change.

You never know when this opportunity comes up again, and you never know how hot your stock will be when it does.

T

Train Without a Station

Cheika is going to accept the job if offered it, regardless the level assurance that things will change.

You never know when this opportunity comes up again, and you never know how hot your stock will be when it does.

Well McKenzie turned it down and it came back around. Many think the only other candidate was Jake White and due to the fact he was a foreign coach it may not work out well.

Cheika is the only remaining Australian coach with any significant success. If I was Cheika I'd bank on it coming around again.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)

I don't know that he will... He's never not completed a contract, and by all accounts he's not going to accept it without being allowed to coach the Tahs next year and have a full 5 years at the Wallabies.

He's coached Leinster to 2 titles and broken a 21 year title drought at the Waratahs, so his stocks aren't in terrible danger and he doesn't even need the money from coaching apparently.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

You don't know anything about Cheika with that comment.
It may be how you think though.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
If you think so. My money's on Cheika having the job some time this year.

They might leave it to Blades et al for the euro tour.

D

daz

Can you please add how you know this for fact, otherwise it is just baseless speculation on your part and you should say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.