• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Non-Wallaby RWC Warm Up Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just had a review of the Wales v Ireland game. The Ireland backups looked very well drilled and cohesive despite their first game together; the Welsh: not so much.

The scoreline flattered Wales tbh, with the Irish taking the proverbial foot off the pedal after their final try. The Abu Dhabi/Swiss Alps fitness training paying massive dividends for Gatland ;)

I hope they keep working on their fitness, and neglect the skill work for as late as possible.

As an aside, anyone know if the Japan v World XV will be aired or streamed (i.e. via the World Rugby site)? I've come up short searching on google.

Anyway, looking forward immensely to the upcoming weekend; it will be a massive two days of rugby with 5 notable fixtures!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Scotland named a 25 man squad to play Ireland overnight.

Backs: Dougie Fife, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Peter Horne, Ruaridh Jackson, Sean Lamont, Henry Pyrgos (captain), Tommy Seymour, Greig Tonks, Richie Vernon, Tim Visser, Duncan Weir.

Forwards: John Barclay, Hugh Blake, Fraser Brown, Blair Cowan, Mike Cusack, David Denton, Allan Dell, Grant Gilchrist, Ryan Grant, Jim Hamilton, Rob Harley, Stuart McInally, Gordon Reid, Jon Welsh.

It's a reasonable squad, but missing the Edinburgh front row (Dickinson, Ford, Nel), both Grays, Laidlaw, Russell, Maitland and Hogg. It's also missing our 4 best centers (Dunbar, Bennett, Scott and Taylor), but they're under injury clouds so I'm not particularly concerned there.

Too many names to call out, but Congrats to Barclay for his return from the wilderness, to McInally and Vernon on their first caps since switching from backrow to hooker and center respectively, to Ruaridh Jackson on his return from his ACL injury and to Mike Cusack, who lost the best part of 2 years of his career, first to back injuries, then to chronic illness, but has worked his way up to be in the squad through his last 9 months.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As an aside, anyone know if the Japan v World XV will be aired or streamed (i.e. via the World Rugby site)?

It's not a World Rugby fixture so I can't see them streaming it, maybe the online arm of whichever Japanese broadcaster is showing it?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Teams for Ireland v Scotland:

Ireland XV: Simon Zebo, Tommy Bowe, Jared Payne, Gordon D'Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald, Ian Madigan, Isaac Boss; Dave Kilcoyne, Sean Cronin, Mike Ross, Devin Toner, Dan Tuohy, Jack Conan, Chris Henry, Sean O'Brien (captain).

Replacements: Richardt Strauss, Michael Bent, Nathan White, Paul O'Connell, Jordi Murphy, Eoin Reddan, Paddy Jackson, Dave Kearney

Scotland starting XV: Ruaridh Jackson, Sean Lamont, Richie Vernon, Peter Horne, Tim Visser, Greig Tonks, Henry Pyrgos (Captain); Ryan Grant, Fraser Brown, Jon Welsh, Jim Hamilton, Grant Gilchrist, Blair Cowan, Hugh Blake, David Denton.

Replacements: Ross Ford, Gordon Reid, Mike Cusack, Rob Harley, John Barclay, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Duncan Weir, Matt Scott

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
A bug went through the Scotland camp, which is why a few names are different in the 23 to the slightly larger squad that was put out earlier in the week.

That Ireland side is likely to beat the snot out of us, simlly from the how close to best 23 stakes, but looking forward to it nonetheless.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
France have finally named their team:

CMYNx_TWgAAZr_E.jpg:large

1. Vincent Debaty
2. Dimitri Szarzewski
3. Nicolas Mas
4. Yoann Maestri
5. Alexandre Flanquart
6.Yannick Nyanga
7. Fulgence Ouedraogo
8. Louis Picamoles
9. Morgan Parra
10. Francois Trinh-Duc
11. Brice Dulin
12. Alexandre Dumoulin
13. Remi Lamerat
14. Sofiane Guitoune
15. Scott Spedding

Replacements: Guirado, Chiocci, Atonio, Vahaamahina, Goujon, Kockott, Tales, Fickou.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Flicked through the Guides, not on Fox, ESPN, Eurosport or BeIN, so probably not in Australia.

If you'd care to find them, there's probably other ways of watching the game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It appeared there was no sort of televised coverage for the match, but World XV got over Japan 45 - 20 in Tokyo according to the Twitter.

https://twitter.com/OfficialWorld15

Big TQN got a hat trick. Barnes supposedly played rather well. Not much on the Japanese, except they couldn't handle the rampager, and the set piece was good.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Just finished watching the Ireland v Scotland game. While the way it ended was rather disappointing, given the way Ireland had played against Wales, the fact they'd added more recognisable players and our own makeshift side, I was very worried that we'd get a 42-6 result or something. If you'd offered me that result with the performance before the game, I would have taken it.

Denton and the locks played well, as did Fraser Brown. Lamont had a monster of a game, Jackson played better at fullback than Tonks did at fly half, so that probably sorts that out. Reserve front row was good. Vernon and Visser played well too, and Henry put his hand up.

Madigan, Toner and Zebo were Ireland's best.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
It appeared there was no sort of televised coverage for the match, but World XV got over Japan 45 - 20 in Tokyo according to the Twitter.

https://twitter.com/OfficialWorld15

Big TQN got a hat trick. Barnes supposedly played rather well. Not much on the Japanese, except they couldn't handle the rampager, and the set piece was good.

saw this one, Japan D line was very solid and moving up fast 1st half, coupled with oppressive heat, no combos for world XV and Andy Ellis and his 2-step loopies from base of ruck saw a crap spectacle of penalty shots.

Nayavoro was lazy as hell, just popped up near the line a few times and that was it. Hat-trick.

thought JOC (James O'Connor) would carve up here but he was pretty crap

for the number of tickets he clearly has on himself this Goromaru guy at fullback for Japan is fucking garbage. Has the most elaborately pointless pre-shot rituals in the history of the game - seriously the guy takes at least 3 or 4 minutes to line up every single shot - and then misses way more than such a King Shit carry-on would justify. Fumbles, offers ZERO running, in fact tries to pass it away hot potato style as soon as he gets the ball at the back

Good to see a front row of Hore, Hayman and the pot-bellied aussie guy (haha, still dont know his name)

thought Liam Gill would have a field day but Japan's expat backrow looked after him well. Adam Thomson was my MOTM

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pretty good result for Scotland. Maybe they will be a threat at the world cup. Pool B will certainly be very interesting.

I'm sure Japan will be disappointed to lose by 25 but it was a pretty strong World XV team. They don't seem quite in the form they were a couple of years ago though and to have a chance of upsetting Scotland or Samoa at the world cup they'll have to improve.

Namibia also beat Zimbabwe 80-6 overnight. They won the same match 24-20 last year so not sure what's happened, but maybe they won't be too bad at the world cup. Hard to know until they play some better teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.